MLS and Sporting KC - Official Thread

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

I just want to be in Qatar's group, and avoid Senegal from Pot 3. 

Pot 4 is actually pretty stout, when you consider we aren't allowed to draw New Zealand (since they still have a playoff against our fellow CONCACAF member Costa Rica) nor Canada.  Plus Wales is likely the final UEFA qualifier.  Then you have a couple of South American sides in Pot 4, too. Ghana would really be a best case draw for us, and would have the added benefit of meaning we can't draw Senegal from Pot 3. 

Would love the Qatar pot 1 draw.  Also wouldn’t mind Portugal.  Everyone else in there is a beast of a task.

Pot 4 is definitely interesting with multiple TBD games still out there.  

23 minutes ago, 49r said:

I want group of death!  

I think you found it.  Please excuse me.  1971 is calling...

Okay, before I go, I know you guys are passionate about a sport I've never watched, but played a couple semesters in UNL intramural.  Believe it or not, I wasn't bad. Actually scored a goal with my head, whatever it's called, in one of the games. 

Not knowing how to do it, didn't close my mouth and my tongue still hurts....  

If you want to do a season ending contest, let me know what it is and I'll come up with a prize package.  49r will need to pm me what it is because I'm going back to 1971 hoping to avoid the group of death.

19 hours ago, 49r said:

I want group of death!  If we advance out of that then we can feel good about ourselves.

Welp, you may have gotten your wish.  Getting Wales from Pot 4 is just brutal.  Could be worse I guess, since Iran is a pretty cushy draw from Pot 3.

Edited by aphilso1

Assuming Costa Rica handles business against NZ, that Group E looks to be the true Group of Death since all four teams have the potential to advance. Spain, Germany, Japan, and Costa Rica is quite an appealing mix of talent and styles.  Some pretty experienced rosters in the Group too.  Should be a fun Group to follow.

Thrilled to see my 2 favorite teams qualify. I actually like the USA’s chances of getting through the group. Beat Iran and get another point and you’ve got a chance. I thank they can do that. After that, playing the Netherlands or Senegal would not be horrible. Who knows? Maybe a run to the QF?!!? They need to have consistent goal scorers up top. It would be great to have a striker really step up between now and November. 

Canada have a tough draw (which usually always happens from Pot 4), but it’s not completely impossible. Super excited to see them play against incredible sides like Belgium and Croatia. Too bad we have to wait over 7 months, but it will make for a super fun time of year for sports...basketball has started, football is ending, and the World Cup!!! 

3 minutes ago, CanadianHusker said:

Thrilled to see my 2 favorite teams qualify. I actually like the USA’s chances of getting through the group. Beat Iran and get another point and you’ve got a chance. I thank they can do that. After that, playing the Netherlands or Senegal would not be horrible. Who knows? Maybe a run to the QF?!!? They need to have consistent goal scorers up top. It would be great to have a striker really step up between now and November. 

Canada have a tough draw (which usually always happens from Pot 4), but it’s not completely impossible. Super excited to see them play against incredible sides like Belgium and Croatia. Too bad we have to wait over 7 months, but it will make for a super fun time of year for sports...basketball has started, football is ending, and the World Cup!!! 

That England/US game on Black Friday could rival the Iowa/Nebby game.  7 PM Qatar Time is 11 AM US time.  Also, Fox has rights to WC games.

I also like the fact, and you mentioned it, that if we were to make it to the round of 16, our draw becomes a lot better.  A QF run is not impossible and is actually more favorable than being in another of the groups.

Game 1 will be huge to set the tone against Euro side that will be in on playoff.  Who do we want to see come out of that playoff?

7 hours ago, hskr4life said:

That England/US game on Black Friday could rival the Iowa/Nebby game.  7 PM Qatar Time is 11 AM US time.  Also, Fox has rights to WC games.

I also like the fact, and you mentioned it, that if we were to make it to the round of 16, our draw becomes a lot better.  A QF run is not impossible and is actually more favorable than being in another of the groups.

Game 1 will be huge to set the tone against Euro side that will be in on playoff.  Who do we want to see come out of that playoff?

Hadn't thought about the possible conflict with the Black Friday game. I hope there's reason to be torn on what to watch. Netherlands isn't a pushover, but I'd take playing them as group winners above any of the other pot 1 teams. 

I also think the easiest of the playoff teams would be Scotland. We don't want Ukraine because everyone will cheer for them. And Wales is dangerous. They've played well in the last 2 Euros. Bale always shows up for them, and they have other talent in Aaron Ramsey and Dan James and others. But the Welsh defense can be beaten. Austria should've scored early against them in their playoff game last week. Scotland is plucky and tough, but they don't score a lot of goals. 

3 hours ago, HuscurAdam said:

This day could be one heck of a roller coaster of emotions for me...

USMNT World Cup -> NU @ Iowa -> Nebrasketball in Orlando

giphy.gif

Hopefully it doesn't end up being the mother of all groin-kicks!

That will be quite a day...and yes, Ron Burgundy said it best! 😂

• 2 weeks later...