MLS and Sporting KC - Official Thread

I've not been very happy with this offseason.  Seems that SKC has been going after 30+ year old MLS retreads, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence.  At full strength our boys were clearly one of the top 3 teams in the league, but injuries kept them from full strength far too often.  Why continue to build a roster around guys at the end of their careers?  I do like going after Beric as a solid #9 option for when Pulido is hurt or on international duty, because Beric should only be asked to log a reasonable number of minutes.  But pairing one of the oldest LBs in the league (Ben Sweat) with one of the oldest RBs in the league (Zusi) just seems like a way to get burned down the lines all season long.  Ugh.

Edited by aphilso1

• 2 weeks later...

Sporting must have been reading our thread, because in the past two weeks they've signed a handful of young international players.  Seems like the one with the biggest transfer tag and highest expectations is Marinos Tzionis, whose skillset sounds like a carbon copy of Daniel Saloi's.  With Shelton expected to play primarily at the #9 this season thanks to Pulido's injury, it does make sense that SKC would look to add a third winger to rotate with Johnny and Daniel. 

I'm still pretty concerned about our defensive backs, and also not sure we can rely on an offense based entirely on scoring goals from the wings.  But as a Nebrasketball fan I am used to generating my own optimism around a team with glaring weaknesses, so in a sad way this 2022 SKC roster feels like a perfect fit.

2 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Sporting must have been reading our thread, because in the past two weeks they've signed a handful of young international players.  Seems like the one with the biggest transfer tag and highest expectations is Marinos Tzionis, whose skillset sounds like a carbon copy of Daniel Saloi's.  With Shelton expected to play primarily at the #9 this season thanks to Pulido's injury, it does make sense that SKC would look to add a third winger to rotate with Johnny and Daniel. 

I'm still pretty concerned about our defensive backs, and also not sure we can rely on an offense based entirely on scoring goals from the wings.  But as a Nebrasketball fan I am used to generating my own optimism around a team with glaring weaknesses, so in a sad way this 2022 SKC roster feels like a perfect fit.

I'm just hoping like hell we can make the playoffs.  Anything better than that will be gravy.

6 hours ago, hskr4life said:

2nd to last leg of USMNT WC qualifying starts this week as well in the frozen tundra of Ohio and Minnesota.

If we win all 3 we are all but clinched, some other stuff has to happen but it basically means we only need 3 or less points in the final window unless Panama or Costa Rica fail to close the gap.  Canada is also without Alphonso Davies, their best player and the guy who 90% of their attack go through.

8 minutes ago, Keenan9595 said:

If we win all 3 we are all but clinched, some other stuff has to happen but it basically means we only need 3 or less points in the final window unless Panama or Costa Rica fail to close the gap.  Canada is also without Alphonso Davies, their best player and the guy who 90% of their attack go through.

If there was ever a window where we could win all three, this one is it.  That last window is pretty tough on paper, so we need all the points we can get in this one.

It's nice to dream of 9 points, but 7 is more realistic and still keeps us in the driver's seat for qualification.  If we win tomorrow, I fully expect a conservative "just get a point" mentality for the match up in Canada.

CONCACAF should get all 4 of the competitive teams into the World Cup this year.  Whoever finishes #4 will be a massive favorite against the winner from Oceania.  Hopefully Mexico is the team that finishes fourth and has to sweat it out for one extra match.

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

It's nice to dream of 9 points, but 7 is more realistic and still keeps us in the driver's seat for qualification.  If we win tomorrow, I fully expect a conservative "just get a point" mentality for the match up in Canada.

CONCACAF should get all 4 of the competitive teams into the World Cup this year.  Whoever finishes #4 will be a massive favorite against the winner from Oceania.  Hopefully Mexico is the team that finishes fourth and has to sweat it out for one extra match.

As long as we’re not the 4th team.  I unfortunately don’t have the confidence to win a playoff as much as I probably should have.

Would've been nice to have had more of a lead in order to get key guys off the pitch earlier.  Wasn't very good to see Weston and Dest limping around at the end of the match.  But yes, I'll take 3 points anytime.

And Los Ticos got the W against Panama, so the there's now a bit more separation from that 4th place spot in the table. Heck, Mexico even got a scare against a 10-man Jamaican squad.  Overall it was a good night in CONCACAF.

13 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Would've been nice to have had more of a lead in order to get key guys off the pitch earlier.  Wasn't very good to see Weston and Dest limping around at the end of the match.  But yes, I'll take 3 points anytime.

And Los Ticos got the W against Panama, so the there's now a bit more separation from that 4th place spot in the table. Heck, Mexico even got a scare against a 10-man Jamaican squad.  Overall it was a good night in CONCACAF.

Was realllly hoping Jamaica would at least hang on for a draw there.

3 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Was realllly hoping Jamaica would at least hang on for a draw there.

Yeah, that would have been an amazing result.  Oh well.  First/second/third are all the same.  So really Panama's and Costa Rica's results at the 4/5 are more important than what happens with Canada and Mexico.

Without having hard evidence, I think a few wins and a few ties should about do it for the US.  24-26 is the goal I think. 

Panama still has to go to Mexico, to the US, and host Canada.  They do get Hond and Jamaica at home though.

Costa Rica still has to host the US and Canada and go to Mexico, Jamaica, and El Salvador

Edited by hskr4life

3 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Without having hard evidence, I think a few wins and a few ties should about do it for the US.  24-26 is the goal I think. 

Panama still has to go to Mexico, to the US, and host Canada.  They do get Hond and Jamaica at home though.

Costa Rica still has to host the US and Canada and go to Mexico, Jamaica, and El Salvador

According to the stat nerds at ESPN, the projected cut line is 25 points.  So your estimate of 24-26 is spot on.  Or if wrong, at least you're in good company.

If we can achieve the following results we should be in:

@Canada (1)

Honduras (3)

@Mexico (0)

Panama (3)

@Costa Rica (1)

Or looking at it another way, with 4 points in hand over Panama and 6 in hand over Costa Rica, the only realistic way either of those teams jump us is if we lose to them.  The next three games can help us secure a WC bid, but even if we stub our toe a bit we will still be in a position to remedy that in the final two matches.

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Weah won’t make the trip to Canada due to vaccine status.

Huge, Huge game for USMNT today.  Would be nice for Pulisic to break out today.  Is it just me or does he look “off” to anyone else?

He looks tired, he’s played 3 different positions for a Chelsea team that is in a rut.  He’s also getting the shit kicked out of him and especially with CONCACAF competition he’s going to continue to get beat up.  Time will tell but Canada is missing some key pieces, if we play smart I see a W.  They are a counter attacking team, if we don’t give the ball away carelessly in the midfield I think we’ll have plenty of chances to score.