MLS and Sporting KC - Official Thread

3 hours ago, CanadianHusker said:

Can’t believe the AR didn’t flag offsides for CR’s goal. He completely affected how the keeper played the ball, and he was clearly in an offside position. Love the fight and depth and experience we are building although sometimes I wonder if Berhalter knows what he’s doing when picking a lineup. Will be great to have Pulisic, Reyna, etc. back in November. 

To be fair the lineup we saw tonight will be about 85-90% of what we’ll see for our first World Cup match I think.  Substitute pulisic and Reyna and brooks and almost everyone else will stay the same.  Goalie is a toss up though and unfortunately with these three games in short succession along with major travel you have to sometimes do some load management and play some guys less and some guys more.  We saw that with Aaronson and weah playing lots of minutes the last two games due to the absence of pulisic and Reyna.  

I think Berhalter wanted to put Steffen in goal last night mostly for the benefit of the Crew fans there, since Berhalter and Steffen came from that organization.  I bet he wanted to start Gyasi too, but knew that probably wouldn't have been a good idea.

Was happy to see Busio get in.  He had a couple of really nice balls in too, but in fairness the Ticos were 100% gassed by then and playing balls in wasn't very difficult.

15 hours ago, CanadianHusker said:

Can’t believe the AR didn’t flag offsides for CR’s goal. He completely affected how the keeper played the ball, and he was clearly in an offside position. Love the fight and depth and experience we are building although sometimes I wonder if Berhalter knows what he’s doing when picking a lineup. Will be great to have Pulisic, Reyna, etc. back in November. 

Dest was off the end line behind the goal putting everyone in an onside position. 

• 2 weeks later...

That stadium does look pretty cool. Does NWSL get pretty good crowds in KC?  Seems like one of the few American towns that may actually be able to pull off a NWSL-specific stadium.  On the flipside, I was bummed out that the Utah Royals packed up and moved to Kansas City right when I moved out to Utah.  I was really looking forward to taking my daughter to some matches. 

In other news, Latif Blessing got a goal right before halftime last night for LAFC and helped his former team out by beating Seattle 3-0.  We now trail Seattle by just 3 points with 2 games in hand.  We have a great opportunity to move into first place in the West and get that first round playoff bye!

11 hours ago, 49r said:

In other news, Latif Blessing got a goal right before halftime last night for LAFC and helped his former team out by beating Seattle 3-0.  We now trail Seattle by just 3 points with 2 games in hand.  We have a great opportunity to move into first place in the West and get that first round playoff bye!

Would be huge for us!

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, 49r said:

Does it really matter?  I guess to LA Galaxy it does, but a draw is the same as a loss for us in the grand scheme.

In terms of SKC, yes it didn’t matter.  But there was not one... there were two instances of not going to VAR in n a tight m, game changing situation.  That’s concerning.

9 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Was he not offsides on the goal as well!?!?

He looked to be in a legal onside position to me.  But that goal never would have happened if SKC wasn't pushing 10 guys forward, and SKC wouldn't have been pushing 10 guys forward if the ref hadn't blown the obvious handball call.

I've gone back and re-watched the play over and over.  It actually gets more befuddling the more times I watch it.  Glaad's instant reaction tells me he knew he committed a handball, and it may have even been intentional.  He was beat by Roger and swung his hand out to bat the ball away with an "aw shucks" look on his face.  And look where that ball was going to drop (on Roger's preferred left foot, at a good angle, in the box) if he doesn't commit the handball.