MLS and Sporting KC - Official Thread

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2021 at 10:55 AM, aphilso1 said:

GK (3): Steffen, Horvath, Turner

Defenders (8): A. Robinson, Brooks, Mizaga, Dest, Cannon, Yedlin, McKenzie, Ream

Mids (6): Adams, McKennie, Reyna, Lletget, Musah, Aaronson

Forwards (6): Pulisic, Sargent, Arriola, Zardes, Dike, Weah

I think Hoppe and Sands need an injury to someone ahead of them in order to make the roster.  I just don't see Moore making the cut regardless, because even if one of Dest/Yedlin/Cannon gets hurt then GB will probably fill that roster spot with a non-RB. 

Can't believe we haven't discussed the WCQ roster that was announced last week!  Apparently teams get 26 players rather than the usual 23 thanks to COVID. 

17 of the 23 players I thought would be on the roster made it.  Three of the six I got wrong are injured (Musah, Zardes, and Arriola), and three were just incorrect predictions (Miazga, Cannon, and Dike).  

3 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Can't believe we haven't discussed the WCQ roster that was announced last week!  Apparently teams get 26 players rather than the usual 23 thanks to COVID. 

17 of the 23 players I thought would be on the roster made it.  Three of the six I got wrong are injured (Musah, Zardes, and Arriola), and three were just incorrect predictions (Miazga, Cannon, and Dike).  

Miazga just loved to a new club and cannon was going through some club turmoil so I’m not to shocked.  I think dike played himself out with a sub par gold cup.  IMO

13 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Sounds like we’re starting Matt Turner in goal.  That’s a little shocking.

Interesting.  Turner has been exceptional between the pipes for the US, but Steffen is typically regarded as the more talented player.  I kind of like rolling with the hot hand in this case, rather than just slotting Steffen into the #1 keeper slot out of habit.

2 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Interesting.  Turner has been exceptional between the pipes for the US, but Steffen is typically regarded as the more talented player.  I kind of like rolling with the hot hand in this case, rather than just slotting Steffen into the #1 keeper slot out of habit.

Sirius XM FC last night was saying that Berhalter is holding Steffen out for this match due to back spasms FWIW.

13 hours ago, Keenan9595 said:

Miazga just loved to a new club and cannon was going through some club turmoil so I’m not to shocked.  I think dike played himself out with a sub par gold cup.  IMO

Yeah, it does appear that lack of playing time for their clubs is what kept Miazga and Cannon off the roster.  And since RB and CB are probably the deepest talent pools for the US, Gregg has the luxury of leaving them home. 

Regarding Dike, he certainly went from "wow, this guy is the answer to our striker problems!" to "meh" over the course of the Gold Cup.  However, after looking him back up, it appears he too is recovering from injury and just this week got his first post-Gold Cup action for Orlando City.  So I guess that actually means 4 of my 6 misses were due to injury.  Not bad.

Edited by aphilso1

6 minutes ago, 49r said:

Sirius XM FC last night was saying that Berhalter is holding Steffen out for this match due to back spasms FWIW.

Good to know.  Probably makes the decision easier for Gregg.  After how Turner has played for us lately, I'd imagine GB would at least consider starting him in these WCQ if both players are healthy.  If one is ailing and one is good to go, then that just makes the decision simple.  It does seem like Horvath has slid down the depth chart to #3 through no fault of his own.  Good problem to have.

53 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Yeah, it does appear that lack of playing time for their clubs is what kept Miazga and Cannon off the roster.  And since RB and CB are probably the deepest talent pools for the US, Gregg has the luxury of leaving them home. 

Regarding Dike, he certainly went from "wow, this guy is the answer to our striker problems!" to "meh" over the course of the Gold Cup.  However, after looking him back up, it appears he too is recovering from injury and just this week got his first post-Gold Cup action for Orlando City.  So I guess that actually means 4 of my 6 misses were due to injury.  Not bad.

I was hoping we’d see Hoppe, but then he moved to la liga to the 6th team in the table, I want him to focus on getting a starting spot there and maybe come in next mo th when he’s ripping it up.  Haha

4 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

For those of you that watched the match...how?  Do you have a Paramount+ subscription?  I'm just not willing to add yet another monthly TV subscription.

You’ll want to look at the schedule going forward but it’s going to be a mix of cbs sorts network, FS1, ESPN and Paramount.  I believe paramount guarantees every game though.  I’m waiting for the Honduras game to do my free monthly trial.