MLS and Sporting KC - Official Thread

14 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Mexico was the better team; outmatched us in possession, shots, SOG, corners, tackles, etc. But that's why they play the game!

Those guys came with it tonight. Kept taking shots. Both those goalies...man.

We led in fouls!

And goals 😂

Edited by cornfed24-7

17 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Mexico was the better team; outmatched us in possession, shots, SOG, corners, tackles, etc. But that's why they play the game!

The crazy thing is if both teams had better finishing this game could have been like 3-3 going into extra time.  Been two really entertaining finals in a row and I’m so happy we came out of top for both.  We’re riding a major high going into qualifiers in September, can’t ask for more than that!!!

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

With our ability to seat as many as we can in Arrowhead, I think we're in a good position there.  I've seen some comments about the disappointing turnout which is why I asked.

Except arrowhead is a horrible place to play soccer. They would have to bring in grass on trucks and those fields do not play well. 

12 hours ago, hskr4life said:

With our ability to seat as many as we can in Arrowhead, I think we're in a good position there.  I've seen some comments about the disappointing turnout which is why I asked.

Arrowhead is fine, that's not the problem.

The problem lies in the fact that we have a lack of quality hotel options available, and while we are building a new airport terminal, direct international flights are basically non-existent at KCI.  Plus our public transportation (think fixed-rail transportation) specifically running directly to the stadium where games would be played is, also non-existent.

These are big concerns.

We do have the best training facilities available here, so that would be a check in our favor, but I think the other stuff above may be too much to overcome.  Especially when Denver has everything that we lack in spades.

26 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I’d just live for something like this to be in KC.  It’s a tall task for sure, but I think KC would be great hosts.

Is KC talking about building any kind of transportation, new airport terminal, or newer hotels if we win the bid?

The new airport terminal is currently under construction and is scheduled to be complete in 2023:

https://www.buildkci.com

The Streetcar line is going to be extended from Union Station down Main Street to Plaza/UMKC and I believe it should be finished by 2026:

https://kcstreetcar.org/about-streetcar/mainstreet-extension/

They just opened the new Loew's hotel at the convention center, and it's really nice:

https://www.loewshotels.com/kansas-city-hotel

BUT...

All international air travel to KCI will still require a connection somewhere else (like Atlanta, Denver, Chicago, Philly, etc.) barring any drastic changes to scheduled service between now and the time bids are awarded

The Streetcar, while convenient and highly used, doesn't go anywhere near the stadiums, and KC2026 would probably need to rely on some system of free shuttle busses running 24/7 from downtown to Truman Sports Complex, and I don't honestly know how appealing that might be to FIFA

Even with the new Loew's, we are shockingly deficient in hotel rooms in downtown KC for even normal convention demands, forget about a massive event like the World Cup.  Honestly, this is probably the heaviest lift of them all

Check out the KC World Cup bid site here:  https://kc2026.com and sign the petition if you haven't already.

1 minute ago, 49r said:

The new airport terminal is currently under construction and is scheduled to be complete in 2023:

https://www.buildkci.com

The Streetcar line is going to be extended from Union Station down Main Street to Plaza/UMKC and I believe it should be finished by 2026:

https://kcstreetcar.org/about-streetcar/mainstreet-extension/

They just opened the new Loew's hotel at the convention center, and it's really nice:

https://www.loewshotels.com/kansas-city-hotel

BUT...

All international air travel to KCI will still require a connection somewhere else (like Atlanta, Denver, Chicago, Philly, etc.) barring any drastic changes to scheduled service between now and the time bids are awarded

The Streetcar, while convenient and highly used, doesn't go anywhere near the stadiums, and KC2026 would probably need to rely on some system of free shuttle busses running 24/7 from downtown to Truman Sports Complex, and I don't honestly know how appealing that might be to FIFA

Even with the new Loew's, we are shockingly deficient in hotel rooms in downtown KC for even normal convention demands, forget about a massive event like the World Cup.  Honestly, this is probably the heaviest lift of them all

Check out the KC World Cup bid site here:  https://kc2026.com and sign the petition if you haven't already.

This is really good analysis.  As fans, I think we tend to fixate on things like attendance and culture.  But logistics probably play just as big (if not bigger) of a part in these decisions.  Transporting fans to the WC hosting city and convenient public transit within that city really should be upper echelon factors.  Can you imagine traveling to a country where you don't know the language, and then finding out that to get around from your hotel to the entertainment district to the soccer stadium, your best bet is to download an app and pay non-licensed taxi drivers?  I don't think I'd be comfortable relying on uber in that situation.

24 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

This is really good analysis.  As fans, I think we tend to fixate on things like attendance and culture.  But logistics probably play just as big (if not bigger) of a part in these decisions.  Transporting fans to the WC hosting city and convenient public transit within that city really should be upper echelon factors.  Can you imagine traveling to a country where you don't know the language, and then finding out that to get around from your hotel to the entertainment district to the soccer stadium, your best bet is to download an app and pay non-licensed taxi drivers?  I don't think I'd be comfortable relying on uber in that situation.

I was also thinking that media outlets there might not be what FIFA is looking for.  Is having it in KC going to draw more eyeballs than say Denver or Cincinnati?  I truly don’t know it’s just a thought.  

42 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Similar to why Omaha will continue to get major regional collegiate events and Lincoln will have to take a backseat. Hotels and airport being the largest downside.

Busio to Italy to join FC Dallas player tessmann at newly promoted Venezia FC (word has it they are in talks to sign Eric Palmer Brown as well) and Vines to Belgium, don’t be surprised if a few more guys make the move after good gold cup performances.  Would not be shocked if sands, robinson and turner all get a look.  Also reports are Sargent to Norwich city.  Will be playing in the premier league next year rather than Bundesliga 2.  

Edited by Keenan9595

23 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Good for them!

It will only benefit our MNT to have players in those top Euro leagues.

Not just that, but it’s going to make MLS stronger in the long run.  Once they discovered how being a selling league can be beneficial clubs are going to make money and be able to develop far more talent.

• 2 weeks later...