MLS and Sporting KC - Official Thread

2 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Wow... knew it was coming no matter how much I didn’t want to believe.

Think of it this way to salve your disappointment, we will now have $4.7 million to buy a pretty nice player to replace him.

If we had kept Busio and not sold him now, he would have been free to go to any team he wants after the season and SKC would have lost him and got nothing in return.

15 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Interested to see if Busio plays at all today and how the USMNT does in what should be a stiff test for our B team. 

Don’t be surprised to see a similar lineup to what we had against Martinique.  This game should be seen as a must win and the creativity we had up front the last game gives us the best chance to win.  Maybe switch out Bello, but I hope we stick to a formula that is going to allow us to score some goals.  

2 hours ago, Keenan9595 said:

Don’t be surprised to see a similar lineup to what we had against Martinique.  This game should be seen as a must win and the creativity we had up front the last game gives us the best chance to win.  Maybe switch out Bello, but I hope we stick to a formula that is going to allow us to score some goals.  

I do think it's a must win for our best, "A" type team, but I don't think it's as big of a "sure thing" with the team we currently have vs. the team we are capable of putting on the field.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

I do think it's a must win for our best, "A" type team, but I don't think it's as big of a "sure thing" with the team we currently have vs. the team we are capable of putting on the field.

Sorry, I should clarify. This is a must win for this tournament with this group of guys.  This tournament is about seeing who maybe roster members 19-23 could be for World Cup qualifying.  If we win we go to the weaker side of the bracket and won’t have to see Mexico until maybe the final, maybe must win is a little bold but I think it would be a huge confidence booster against a decent Canada side and would give us a bit of an idea about some of t he guys that might be inching more towards the A team.  (Dike, Zimmerman, Busio, Hoppe, Sands and moore ) would be the fellas I’d bring in for WCQ camp.  I say these guys full knowing that guys like lleget,Zardes and Acosta are rated as possible first team guys by Greg.  Does that make more sense?

Edited by Keenan9595

Well.. I would say that was less than a good performance... but we did what we needed to do.  We got er done.

Honestly, it reminded me of some WC games against actual good competition where we never have possession and just defend, defend, defend until we somehow manage to come out with a win or a draw.

Just got back from Children's Mercy Park.  Wow what a great time and perfect day for a game.  Berhalter's strategy was clearly to park the bus and ride that 1-0 lead to the win.  It wasn't terribly exciting, but effective.  Hopefully we proved that KC deserves serious consideration for WC 2026.  If not, Denver isn't a bad road trip...

Screw Denver... You bring the USA's A team and a team like we'd face in the WC, and we'd fill Arrowhead to the brim.

However, I do fear the lower turnout for the first two games might affect our chances.  Not fair really with the teams we were playing.

When do they finalize WC stadiums?

16 hours ago, Keenan9595 said:

(Dike, Zimmerman, Busio, Hoppe, Sands and moore ) would be the fellas I’d bring in for WCQ camp.  I say these guys full knowing that guys like lleget,Zardes and Acosta are rated as possible first team guys by Greg. 

Your list of guys you'd bring to WCQ is pretty much the same as my list of guys that I've been impressed with at this Gold Cup.  Just not sure that there is room for all those players on the roster though, especially some of them that play at a stacked position.

Dike - plays at an extremely thin position and has been impressive.  We need quality strikers.  I think he is 100% on the WCQ roster as long as he stays healthy.

Zimmerman - 50% chance to be on roster.  Brooks is a lock, and then there are about 6-7 CBs that are all pretty equally likely to make the roster.  Zimmerman is definitely helping his chances with his play in the Gold Cup, but McKenzie/Miazga/CCV/EPB/M Robinson/Richards are all challenging too.  Kind of a weird position group, as it doesn't feel like we have a ton of depth at center back and then you look at the options and go "wow.  that seems like plenty of quality choices."

Busio - Probably not on roster.  If he does make it, it's because of his versatility to play the #6, #8, and #10 all effectively.  I don't think he is a first or second choice at any of the midfield positions but his flexibility makes him valuable.

Hoppe - I sure hope he makes the roster.  See comment above on Busio's flexibility, but place that among the attacking positions (which are thin) rather than the midfield (which are pretty solid).  Given how young our likely starters are up top though, I could see Gregg going with experience to round out the roster.  I think Hoppe is on the outside looking in.

Sands - another young, versatile player that probably isn't going to be first or second choice at any specific position.  Not making the roster.

Moore - I really like Moore's game.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's pretty much a right back only though, right?  And you have seen the RB depth chart, right?  Unfortunately for him he plays at what is probably our deepest position.  Not making the roster.

Oh, and regarding Lleget/Zardes/Acosta.  I think this was Acosta's last chance to prove he fits in the national team's plans and has played his way out of future consideration.  Zardes will make the roster because of his combination of experience, skill (albeit inconsistent), and positional need.  Lleget is somewhere in the middle.

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

Your list of guys you'd bring to WCQ is pretty much the same as my list of guys that I've been impressed with at this Gold Cup.  Just not sure that there is room for all those players on the roster though, especially some of them that play at a stacked position.

Dike - plays at an extremely thin position and has been impressive.  We need quality strikers.  I think he is 100% on the WCQ roster as long as he stays healthy.

Zimmerman - 50% chance to be on roster.  Brooks is a lock, and then there are about 6-7 CBs that are all pretty equally likely to make the roster.  Zimmerman is definitely helping his chances with his play in the Gold Cup, but McKenzie/Miazga/CCV/EPB/M Robinson/Richards are all challenging too.  Kind of a weird position group, as it doesn't feel like we have a ton of depth at center back and then you look at the options and go "wow.  that seems like plenty of quality choices."

Busio - Probably not on roster.  If he does make it, it's because of his versatility to play the #6, #8, and #10 all effectively.  I don't think he is a first or second choice at any of the midfield positions but his flexibility makes him valuable.

Hoppe - I sure hope he makes the roster.  See comment above on Busio's flexibility, but place that among the attacking positions (which are thin) rather than the midfield (which are pretty solid).  Given how young our likely starters are up top though, I could see Gregg going with experience to round out the roster.  I think Hoppe is on the outside looking in.

Sands - another young, versatile player that probably isn't going to be first or second choice at any specific position.  Not making the roster.

Moore - I really like Moore's game.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's pretty much a right back only though, right?  And you have seen the RB depth chart, right?  Unfortunately for him he plays at what is probably our deepest position.  Not making the roster.

Oh, and regarding Lleget/Zardes/Acosta.  I think this was Acosta's last chance to prove he fits in the national team's plans and has played his way out of future consideration.  Zardes will make the roster because of his combination of experience, skill (albeit inconsistent), and positional need.  Lleget is somewhere in the middle.

Not going to argue to much with what you’ve said, I agree for the most part.  I definitely think CB is a toss up other than brooks, I think you could see 5-6 guys make the trip.  If Gregg decides to take 4 strikers I could see hoppe sneaking in especially if he has a good year in Bundesliga 2.  Busio/tesserman I think?  The kid from Dallas who went to Serie A and Clark are young midfielders who could be making waves soon, probably not for this World Cup but could mature enough to give us a chest if midfield riches for 2026.  Dike I want to go to Europe permanently because I personally feel he is a Jozy altidore now but could develop into a poor mans lukaku with the proper training and competition, that dude’s ceiling could be limitless if Orlando sells him.  

I believe Moore played left back at Levante before he was sold, I could be wrong but I thought that was the case, so that could put him back in the conversation going forward if it’s true.  And personally I’ve preferred what I’ve seen of Moore Over Reggie cannon, so maybe he takes his spot in the depth chart?

Now onto sands who I’m going to make a bit of a pitch for to be on the squad.  He’s played really well at both CB and DM so far and we badly need a dude who can back up Adam’s at that DM spot.  For me it’s not Acosta or yuiell amd I don’t see anyone else really making a case.  I think sands has quietly risen his stock exponentially, he’s been strong on the, hasn’t been out of position, decent passer and in the air, defensive minded.  I think he could be heading to Europe soon and his upside seems to be rising at a position of need.  IMO

Edited by Keenan9595

OK, so let’s predict the actual 23 man roster. 

-I see eight locks to start (Steffen in goal; Robinson, Brooks, and Dest on the backline; Adams, McKennie, and Reyna in the midfield; and Pulisic at winger)

-Then three other players that are probably starters (Miazga paired with Brooks, Arriola opposite Pulisic, and Sargent up top)

-Then two backup keepers (Horvath and Turner)

That leaves ten spots for backup positional players. 

-I think the three bench forwards are set in Zardes, Dike, and Weah. 

-Lletget and Musah are pretty good bets in the midfield.

-Cannon is a lock to make the roster at RB.  Does Gregg call in Yedlin too?  I’m assuming yes, and he finds creative ways of getting Cannon and Yedlin on the pitch.  GB has quite the conundrum, with 3 of our top 18-ish players all playing RB. 

-That leaves three spots, which is where I start feeling really murky about who makes the cut.  It’s safe to say one of those spots goes to a true center back, but who?  I’ll guess Mark McKenzie but I’m not super confident in that.  Could easily be CCV or Richards or Zimmerman or Miles Robinson instead.

-It’s probable that a sixth midfielder will be on the roster, but not a guarantee depending if he thinks he can slide a forward back or defender up.  Adams should be expected to play nearly every minute at the #6, so I doubt Gregg feels the need to carry a true backup #6 (see comment above regarding Cannon and Yedlin).  This slot could go in a variety of directions.  I’ll guess Brenden Aaronson as an extra creative mid.

-One more slot, and my hunch is that this will be the one that drives fans crazy: Tim Ream.  He is an emergency sub at LB and both CB slots. I doubt he starts any matches unless there is an injury, but provides depth at a variety of positions on the backline and is a veteran presence in the locker room.

So in summary:

GK (3): Steffen, Horvath, Turner

Defenders (8): A. Robinson, Brooks, Mizaga, Dest, Cannon, Yedlin, McKenzie, Ream

Mids (6): Adams, McKennie, Reyna, Lletget, Musah, Aaronson

Forwards (6): Pulisic, Sargent, Arriola, Zardes, Dike, Weah

I think Hoppe and Sands need an injury to someone ahead of them in order to make the roster.  I just don't see Moore making the cut regardless, because even if one of Dest/Yedlin/Cannon gets hurt then GB will probably fill that roster spot with a non-RB. 

6 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

-I see eight locks to start (Steffen in goal; Robinson, Brooks, and Dest on the backline; Adams, McKennie, and Reyna in the midfield; and Pulisic at winger)

-Then three other players that are probably starters (Miazga paired with Brooks, Arriola opposite Pulisic, and Sargent up top)

-Cannon is a lock to make the roster at RB.  Does Gregg call in Yedlin too?  I’m assuming yes, and he finds creative ways of getting Cannon and Yedlin on the pitch.  GB has quite the conundrum, with 3 of our top 18-ish players all playing RB. 

-That leaves three spots, which is where I start feeling really murky about who makes the cut.  It’s safe to say one of those spots goes to a true center back, but who?  I’ll guess Mark McKenzie but I’m not super confident in that.  Could easily be CCV or Richards or Zimmerman or Miles Robinson instead.

-It’s probable that a sixth midfielder will be on the roster, but not a guarantee depending if he thinks he can slide a forward back or defender up.  Adams should be expected to play nearly every minute at the #6, so I doubt Gregg feels the need to carry a true backup #6 (see comment above regarding Cannon and Yedlin).  This slot could go in a variety of directions.  I’ll guess Brenden Aaronson as an extra creative mid.

-One more slot, and my hunch is that this will be the one that drives fans crazy: Tim Ream.  He is an emergency sub at LB and both CB slots. I doubt he starts any matches unless there is an injury, but provides depth at a variety of positions on the backline and is a veteran presence in the locker room.

So in summary:

Defenders (8): A. Robinson, Brooks, Mizaga, Dest, Cannon, Yedlin, McKenzie, Ream

I think Hoppe and Sands need an injury to someone ahead of them in order to make the roster.  I just don't see Moore making the cut regardless, because even if one of Dest/Yedlin/Cannon gets hurt then GB will probably fill that roster spot with a non-RB. 

Even if that isn’t the final roster, that is certainly one that should challenge to win the octagonal, not just make the WC.

I like it, but can we figure it out?  September can’t get here soon enough!

19 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

So in summary:

My big thing with sands is that if Adam’s goes down we have 0 real replacements at the DM position.  He’s a guy that I think can fill that void.

Last night's SKC vs San Jose match was perhaps the worst officiated athletic event I have seen this year.  So many high impact blatant miscalls.  That officiating crew should be suspended.

It was bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Huge huge wins for both SKC and USA tonight.

I know a bunch of people can’t stand Zardes, but I feel he could provide quite a bit off the bench in situations like tonight.

Big one for the red, white, and blue on Thursday.

I was super impressed with Hoppe, his motor and ability to create and attack kept us somewhat dangerous in that game and the goal was well deserved. Acosta had a good game after having a bad game against Canada and Busio is still young and learning but was more aggressive on duels.  I still feel lleget is a black hole and offers very little on defense, plus his free kick service was bad today.  I’m excited to play this Qatar team.  

I watched the SKC match in it entirety, so I only really got to see about 10 minutes of the first half of USMNT v Jamaica and then most of the second half.  Impressions:

SKC played exceptionally well.  To go into that environment and not only score three times, but to control possession and place pressure on Seattle as much as they did was something special.  Seattle was clearly missing Frei between the pipes but that shouldn't take too much away from SKC's dominant performance.

USMNT was, well, at least we won.  Backline + Acosta defended well.  Forwards weren't creating tons of great looks, but they also weren't being provided service in dangerous areas.  This felt like a match where our midfield was severely outplayed, at least in the portion of the match that I saw.  

2 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

I watched the SKC match in it entirety, so I only really got to see about 10 minutes of the first half of USMNT v Jamaica and then most of the second half.  Impressions:

SKC played exceptionally well.  To go into that environment and not only score three times, but to control possession and place pressure on Seattle as much as they did was something special.  Seattle was clearly missing Frei between the pipes but that shouldn't take too much away from SKC's dominant performance.

USMNT was, well, at least we won.  Backline + Acosta defended well.  Forwards weren't creating tons of great looks, but they also weren't being provided service in dangerous areas.  This felt like a match where our midfield was severely outplayed, at least in the portion of the match that I saw.  

This squad is our C/B guys and new guys getting a look.  Beating Jamaica’s B/B+ team in a hard fought game is good.  We all know that we probably have 9-10 starters already penciled in.  We then know probably who roster slots 11-19/20 are.  This tournament is who might move the needle enough to come to qualifiers and maybe play their way into that 23.  Personally I’m happy that such a young and inexperienced team has made it to the quarterfinals with a good shot at the finals.  This is the type of tournament that we want our C+ team winning.