MLS and Sporting KC - Official Thread

10 hours ago, 49r said:

Really nice win tonight. Solid performance against a really good Colorado team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I missed it but caught the highlights.  Nice to see that the two guys I had the lowest expectations for coming into the season (Salloi and Hernandez) were the match heroes.  And really both guys have been exceeding expectations all season.

On a somewhat related note, I really hate how large the ESPN+ blackout map is.  I don't live anywhere close to Denver but I get all Rapids matches blacked out as 'local' in addition to the more logical blackout of RSL matches.  I guess there must be some cable station around here that shows Rapids matches and thus the blackout.  RSL doesn't bother me as much because I can attend when SKC travels to SLC and can easily catch the one in KC at a brew pub.  But no one puts Rapids matches on TV around here, and yet they are blacked out as a local team.  So basically I just never get to see a match when SKC plays against Colorado.  I'll get off my soapbox now.

Edited by aphilso1

On 6/12/2021 at 7:15 PM, HuskerFever said:

Just sayin'. Make a plan to catch a match some time.

Went to my first on the 3rd. Playing in a baseball field had me worried. I have been to “Wizard” games in that ballpark back when Children’s Mercy Park was being built. That didn’t work. The field was way too narrow condensed play. Corners were ridiculous. And  having seats behind one of the goals, I almost lost a young child to an off target shot in warmups. Smashed the seat next to him. Four inches to the right and his hand probably has multiple breaks. 

The Owl’s field seemed close to the width it was supposed to and sight lines weren’t horrible. Only one corner I couldn’t really see. The atmosphere was tremendous for the crowd size and the support group stayed energized through out. 

The biggest difference I saw to higher level soccer was the keepers played very, very slow in their distribution and neither team really tried to play out from the back. All in all an enjoyable evening. I’m sure we’ll go back. 

6 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

Went to my first on the 3rd. Playing in a baseball field had me worried. I have been to “Wizard” games in that ballpark back when Children’s Mercy Park was being built. That didn’t work. The field was way too narrow condensed play. Corners were ridiculous. And  having seats behind one of the goals, I almost lost a young child to an off target shot in warmups. Smashed the seat next to him. Four inches to the right and his hand probably has multiple breaks. 

The Owl’s field seemed close to the width it was supposed to and sight lines weren’t horrible. Only one corner I couldn’t really see. The atmosphere was tremendous for the crowd size and the support group stayed energized through out. 

The biggest difference I saw to higher level soccer was the keepers played very, very slow in their distribution and neither team really tried to play out from the back. All in all an enjoyable evening. I’m sure we’ll go back. 

The game I was out of town for.  I know before play started the owner spent like 1.4 million or something to make sure the field wouldn’t just be a field on a baseball diamond but a baseball field that turned into a soccer field.  It’s definitely fun and it gets rowdy.  :). Glad you enjoyed it.  Season tickets for the supporters group was like $120 and membership with admission to all our tailgates and activities is free. FYI

Edited by Keenan9595

23 minutes ago, 49r said:

I saw the other day where Des Moines is building a new stadium for an upcoming USL Championship team.  I'd imagine that will take a bit of a bite out of potential future attendance numbers for Union Omaha.

I don’t see people driving from Des Moines to watch USL soccer. They have their own USL league 2 team now. 

That Euro Final did not disappoint! What a match.  Now looking forward to the USMNT Gold Cup opener tonight.  Hopefully Busio makes it onto the pitch!

I’m in children’s mercy park now. It’s a tad chilly/breezy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk