MLS and Sporting KC - Official Thread

21 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

How many of those responding on this subject, have attended one or multiple women's soccer games @ Nebraska?  Just wondering.

I haven't.  I actually didn't like soccer while in college.  It wasn't until I was forced to watch a World Cup match after graduating that I started to appreciate the game and quickly fell in love with it. 

I did try to take my daughter back to watch the Husker women play, but she was never interested and I wasn't going to force her.  She is just now old enough to start enjoying going to live sporting events (with a little bit of concession stand bribery) but alas we don't live in Nebraska anymore.

On 6/13/2021 at 12:02 PM, Huskerpapa said:

How many of those responding on this subject, have attended one or multiple women's soccer games @ Nebraska?  Just wondering.

How timely!

Saw they announced the USL will have a lower-tier women's soccer league. This is great! More opportunities for young athletes to have a chance to make a career in a sport they love.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/usl-w-league-2022-inaugural-season-founding-clubs

3 hours ago, Keenan9595 said:

Yeah!!!  We had a bad loss a few weeks ago but other than that every game has produced points.  Having two games in hand isn’t ideal, but that’s life.  Haha

Top of the table with two games in hand is bonus. A possible 6 more points and even if you lose both and go even in number of games played, you’re still on top of the table. 

2 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

Top of the table with two games in hand is bonus. A possible 6 more points and even if you lose both and go even in number of games played, you’re still on top of the table. 

Yeah, as I mentioned below. I screwed up, euros and beers don’t help.  Haha

19 minutes ago, 49r said:

This is great news for USL in my opinion.  Getting rid of the worthless "MLS2" teams should make the USL better and more competitive across the board.

Not a fan of MLS starting up their own minor league system though.

"Consisting of 20 MLS clubs along with the potential for independently owned teams for the inaugural season in 2022,"

Maybe I am reading too much into the bolded line, but I interpret that to mean this new league will be a competitor with USL rather than solely being a home for the MLS2 teams to play.  If it was strictly a minor league to send the extended roster players from MLS, then I do think it would be good for USL.  But that's not how I read the press release.

8 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

"Consisting of 20 MLS clubs along with the potential for independently owned teams for the inaugural season in 2022,"

Maybe I am reading too much into the bolded line, but I interpret that to mean this new league will be a competitor with USL rather than solely being a home for the MLS2 teams to play.  If it was strictly a minor league to send the extended roster players from MLS, then I do think it would be good for USL.  But that's not how I read the press release.

The way I read into it, MLS is looking to have more control over the development path to the MLS. So they want to have control over the development league of their choice.

To me, Miami, New England, and Toronto have no business playing against Union Omaha level of competition and should be positioned as a stepping stone into the MLS/a place to let players recover after an injury and get back to the MLS. I'm sure MLS isn't much of a fan of this either.

I imagine in a perfect world, MLS teams would want a dedicated U18 league and a league just below MLS to develop their farm system.

I’m regards to the new MLS league it looks like all of the MLS reserve teams will be members.  It will be on the same year as USL 1.  

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/mls-usmnt/2021/6/22/22545315/mls-unveils-development-league-reserve-mls-2-usl-division-3-ussf

D0B48A6B-9640-4DEF-A6F5-59020CDFB51F.webp

Edited by Keenan9595

14 minutes ago, Keenan9595 said:

I’m regards to the new MLS league it looks like all of the MLS reserve teams will be members.  It will be on the same year as USL 1.  

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/mls-usmnt/2021/6/22/22545315/mls-unveils-development-league-reserve-mls-2-usl-division-3-ussf

D0B48A6B-9640-4DEF-A6F5-59020CDFB51F.webp 31.09 kB · 1 download

That sounds like a pyramid sch....

ESYUoPOWsAARXx6.jpg

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952cb117219fd094d9f7