MLS and Sporting KC - Official Thread

37 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Not sure how I feel about playing tonight's match in near-0 degree weather.  While I understand the psychological advantage of picking the battlefield and making the Hondurans experience cold for the first time, it seems like that type of temperature can really bog the game down and lessen the superior team's advantage.  If we were playing Mexico I'd be all for this.  Heck, play the match in Anchorage in that case.  But it seems that playing an interior foe in bizarre conditions could potentially backfire.

We haven’t really dominated anyone in this qualifying round.  Would be nice to get this one 3-0 or better.  Weather will be tough though for sure.

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

Not sure how I feel about playing tonight's match in near-0 degree weather.  While I understand the psychological advantage of picking the battlefield and making the Hondurans experience cold for the first time, it seems like that type of temperature can really bog the game down and lessen the superior team's advantage.  If we were playing Mexico I'd be all for this.  Heck, play the match in Anchorage in that case.  But it seems that playing an interior foe in bizarre conditions could potentially backfire.

Totally with you on this.  I think this is definitely a disadvantage for us.  I'm worried about this one.

5 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Did anyone else look at the lineup and cuss?  Just me?

That makes two of us.  It's a must-win game and we're starting Luca de la Torre in midfield?  Jordan Morris at winger who still isn't match fit?  Meanwhile no Pulisic or Dest?  And that' in addition to the massive downgrade at defensive mid due to Adams' injury.  I'm starting to get an impending sense of dread...

6 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

That makes two of us.  It's a must-win game and we're starting Luca de la Torre in midfield?  Jordan Morris at winger who still isn't match fit?  Meanwhile no Pulisic or Dest?  And that' in addition to the massive downgrade at defensive mid due to Adams' injury.  I'm starting to get an impending sense of dread...

Im glad it wasn’t just me.  It’s a fricking must win match.  You start your best 11.  Period.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

Game looks uncomfortable for everyone.  Acosta needs to play all 3 next window.  Does so well opening things up.

Not sure I agree, but am interested to hear your argument in favor of playing Acosta more. What position would you play Acosta if Adams is healthy?

11 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Not sure I agree, but am interested to hear your argument in favor of playing Acosta more. What position would you play Acosta if Adams is healthy?

To me, his ability to distribute on crosses was just better than Pulisic this window.  I’d also rather have Pulisic around the ball as he can do some amazing things.  Acosta plays well enough in the midfield.  Does things right, but doesn’t make a ton of mistakes either.  It’s tough because you’re right that Adams is probably the better player overall.

I feel like Acosta also gives us that veteran presence out there.   

FINALLY Luca gets on the field and shows why he needs to be in the 23 going forward, dude has been a creative revelation at midfield in the Dutch league which is known for its attacking style.  Every time he touched the ball it was filled by a dangerous pass or using his speed to stretch the field.  Him and Weah played so well together all game.  

13 minutes ago, Keenan9595 said:

FINALLY Luca gets on the field and shows why he needs to be in the 23 going forward, dude has been a creative revelation at midfield in the Dutch league which is known for its attacking style.  Every time he touched the ball it was filled by a dangerous pass or using his speed to stretch the field.  Him and Weah played so well together all game.  

I did like Luca’s play tonight.  Kind of like his game, would like to see it against a quality team moving forward.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

To me, his ability to distribute on crosses was just better than Pulisic this window.  I’d also rather have Pulisic around the ball as he can do some amazing things.  Acosta plays well enough in the midfield.  Does things right, but doesn’t make a ton of mistakes either.  It’s tough because you’re right that Adams is probably the better player overall.

I feel like Acosta also gives us that veteran presence out there.   

Except Acosta isn't contending for minutes at the positions in our alignment that value crossing -- RB, LB, RW, and LW.  He's gotten some spot minutes at RB but I don't recall him playing any of the other positions at all.  You're welcome to correct me if I''m remembering that wrong.  Are you referring to his service on set pieces?  If so, I agree his service was on point. 

Pulisic is another interesting one to figure out positionally but I don't see how that impacts Acosta's playing time.  Pulisic provides positional flexibility by being able to play both wings, attacking mid, and box-to-box mid.  Of those positions the only overlap with Acosta is at the B2B mid.  But that's Weston's position barring injury or suspension, so I don't really see either Pulisic or Acosta lining up much in the #8 anyways.

I'm admittedly not the biggest Acosta fan, but I think his best role is exactly how Gregg prefers to use him.  He is a defensive sub that can replace an offensive mid when we need to protect a lead, or he can provide slightly better service than Adams if we are chasing a goal late.  The only position I see him as being able to hold his own for a full 90 minutes is at #6 like he played tonight.

2 hours ago, Keenan9595 said:

He did play better than I expected.  But I'd like to see him do it against better competition before I'm comfortable sending him to Qatar.

5 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

He did play better than I expected.  But I'd like to see him do it against better competition before I'm comfortable sending him to Qatar.

And that’s fair I suppose, I’ve been a big fan of his since his move to Heracles.  He’s been performing very well in a top league at a position we need depth, especially creative depth if someone like mckennie or munsah go down.  And I personally rate him far higher than a leget or an Ariolla or a yueill all guys that seem to pop up as our midfield backup.  

3 hours ago, Keenan9595 said:

And that’s fair I suppose, I’ve been a big fan of his since his move to Heracles.  He’s been performing very well in a top league at a position we need depth, especially creative depth if someone like mckennie or munsah go down.  And I personally rate him far higher than a leget or an Ariolla or a yueill all guys that seem to pop up as our midfield backup.  

Is De La Torra a straight #10 or does he have some position flexibility?  I haven't seen enough out of him to know.  Honestly I think we have more depth at #10 than we do at the wingers, because a couple of our first team wingers are actually better in the creative mid role (Pulisic, Reyna). 

That's kind of an interesting mental exercise...catalogue our non-striker offensive players and sort them by what positions they can play.  Hmmm.  I just might need to do that today.

10 hours ago, hskr4life said:

People hella mad on social media.  Two Hondurans were pulled at half and treated for hypothermia.

It was monumentally stupid to play that game in Minneapolis last night.  There was no reason for it at all.  If we can't beat Honduras without resorting to stupid stunts like that we don't deserve to qualify anyway.  Really hope FIFA or CONCACAF steps in and makes a rule banning stuff like that in the future.

OK @Keenan9595 I've thought through our player pool a bit more at the positions in question.  

Wingers (7/11)

Pulisic

Weah

Reyna

Aaronsen

Morris

Hoppe

Arriola

Zardes

Attacking Mid (10)

Pulisic

Reyna

Musah

De La Torre

Busio

Box-to-box Mid (8)

McKennie

Pulisic

Eryk Williamson (out w/torn ACL)

Acosta

De La Torre???

Roldan

LLetget

Busio

A 23-man roster means roughly two players per position (4 wingers total), but obviously guys that are flexible make that a bit more messy.  Pulisic, for example, is our best winger, best #10, and probably second best #8.  Reyna is just a step behind him at winger and #10.  If Musah continues to progress and we have Pulisic and Reyna available too, I don't see the need to dip any deeper into the player pool for attacking mid. 

As for true wingers, Weah and Aaronsen are locks.  Morris certainly didn't look like a man coming off two knee surgeries, so I've got to think he's close to a lock when projecting what he should look like in a year.  Pulisic and Reyna will both log minutes on the wing too, which gets us to 6 total players among the 7, 10, and 11 spots on the pitch.  I know no one wants to hear this...but if we take one more winger I think it's Zardes because he can also play the #9 in a pinch.

Lastly we get to Weston's spot.  Pulisic can fill in there too, but he can't be everywhere at once.  I liked what Williamson did from his couple call ups, but he is out for the foreseeable future.  Acosta essentially backs up both Adams and McKennie, although he is better suited for Adams' position.  Can De La Torre defend?  We didn't see that out of him last night, but then again the US had possession almost the whole match.  If so, then he may have a chance to snatch the final roster spot.  Although if you're looking for a young midfielder to round out a roster, I'd go with Busio since we know he can play all three midfield positions.  And with how young we are, Gregg may want to have an older voice in the locker room which would favor Lletget or Roldan.

Barring injuries to a couple of these players, I think De La Torre is probably on the outside looking in for the World Cup.

Edited by aphilso1

10 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Except Acosta isn't contending for minutes at the positions in our alignment that value crossing -- RB, LB, RW, and LW.  He's gotten some spot minutes at RB but I don't recall him playing any of the other positions at all.  You're welcome to correct me if I''m remembering that wrong.  Are you referring to his service on set pieces?  If so, I agree his service was on point. 

Pulisic is another interesting one to figure out positionally but I don't see how that impacts Acosta's playing time.  Pulisic provides positional flexibility by being able to play both wings, attacking mid, and box-to-box mid.  Of those positions the only overlap with Acosta is at the B2B mid.  But that's Weston's position barring injury or suspension, so I don't really see either Pulisic or Acosta lining up much in the #8 anyways.

I'm admittedly not the biggest Acosta fan, but I think his best role is exactly how Gregg prefers to use him.  He is a defensive sub that can replace an offensive mid when we need to protect a lead, or he can provide slightly better service than Adams if we are chasing a goal late.  The only position I see him as being able to hold his own for a full 90 minutes is at #6 like he played tonight.

Yes- his service on set pieces was what I was referring to when referencing his crosses.  We seem to be in a position where we have a lot of pieces to a puzzle we haven’t quite got together.  We have a lot of guys that can play a lot

of different positions.  If we make it to the WC, it’ll be interesting to see who is called up.

1 hour ago, 49r said:

It was monumentally stupid to play that game in Minneapolis last night.  There was no reason for it at all.  If we can't beat Honduras without resorting to stupid stunts like that we don't deserve to qualify anyway.  Really hope FIFA or CONCACAF steps in and makes a rule banning stuff like that in the future.

So when the USMNT goes on the road in Central America they get bags of piss thrown at them, batteries and bottles thrown at them, horrid field conditions, their hotel locations leaked, games scheduled in insane heat, ect. ect. - but we're gonna draw the line at Honduras having to play in cold weather? Glad we did it.