Summer Notes

On 7/26/2021 at 7:36 PM, throwback said:

Coach Hoiberg was on Sports Nightly tonight - I was in the car, so going from memory:

• Guys have about one more week of summer workouts before they send them home for a couple of weeks before school starts
  • First player he brought up (unsolicited) was Breidenbach (somewhat surprisingly) - since being cleared after the injury, he's been very impressive
  • Then he talked about B McGowens - says he just takes over some of the workouts/scrimmages - hit 4 or 5 3s in a row today in practice
  • Then brought up T McGowens and how he's showing great leadership and he's focused on finding the hot hand, like with Bryce in practice today
  • Finally mentioned Verge and how great he's been since arriving - he's a huge addition with losing Banton so late to the draft
  • When asked about Tominaga at the Olympics, he said how great it's been to see him play so well against much older and more seasoned players - and how they're excited to get him on campus and in their offense - because teams will have to guard him all over the floor, it's really going to open things up for everyone else, and they envision a big role for him

There will be media availability for players tomorrow - some of the players who didn't speak last week should be available this time

Also caught Buzzy on 93.7 earlier today - he also brought up Breidenbach, talked about how impressive he's been and how hard he's working - and that he will play some 4 and some 5 this season - you can just hear it in the coaches' voices how much they like him - my guess is they knew he was good when they recruited him, but now that he's healthy and they can see him up close, it feels like they're getting far more than they expected.

I've watched a lot of the 3v3 games with Tominaga.  Japan is very undersized so he's been stuck guarding giants and they take full advantage.  He also struggles a bit on perimeter defense.  But, holy cow, that kid needs no room to get his shot off against guys 4-5 inches taller.  He's going to score a lot more than he gives up on many nights.  

Great to hear about WB.  He has a whole lot of game for his height and it sounds like he's hit the weights hard since his arrival.  With weight, he's going to be scary.  High IQ.  

Interesting - if Mayen makes a big step forward, just start importing the Big Red Kool-Aid in kegs. 

It would make some sense though. More 3 pt shooters on the floor opens space for him and more drivers & passers give him more chances. He gets a normal non-covid offseason to go through strength training and to become familiar with teammates. He shouldn't have to play the 5 anymore, which should keep him out of as much foul trouble.

Plus he hopefully makes the standard year-2 juco player jump forward.

I'm down too. 

Edited by throwback

This is why I wait for real practices and games.  My intent is not to burst bubbles, it is simply to create reality check points; we heard the same thing about Lat last season.  In some drill he made an enormously high percentage of 3-pointers.  Yet when the season began, he struggled. 

After 50+ years as a Husker basketball fan, I am waiting for the hype to become reality.  Maybe, just maybe, this will be THE year.

Edited by Huskerpapa

12 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

This is why I wait for real practices and games... it is simply to create reality check points... Lat... made an enormously high percentage of 3-pointers...  After 50+ years as a Husker basketball fan... the hype... become reality... this will be THE year.

I hear you loud and clear. ;)

2 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

This is why I wait for real practices and games.  My intent is not to burst bubbles, it is simply to create reality check points; we heard the same thing about Lat last season.  In some drill he made an enormously high percentage of 3-pointers.  Yet when the season began, he struggled. 

After 50+ years as a Husker basketball fan, I am waiting for the hype to become reality.  Maybe, just maybe, this will be THE year.

Eventually the ball has to bounce our way.  Right? RIGHT?!??!?!?

(Please basketball gods, let it be this year)