Summer Notes

Basketball means 5-on-5.  You can play 1-on-1, 2-on-2, et al variants, but the game as designed is 5-on-5.

My personal druthers would be for the Olympics to be limited to the actual main version of a sport and to cut its variants.  Obviously that line is subjective, particularly when it comes to track and field and swimming.  Do we really need 6 different lengths of freestyle swimming events?  Sure seems like elite swimmers win multiple length events regularly, which tells me that the events are more similar than they are different.  Perhaps it should be just a "sprint" distance and "marathon" distance for each swimming discipline. 

Basketball is more clear cut though.  The world recognizes 5-on-5 as the standard for the sport.  If you disagree, then I challenge you to name a single country where a 3-on-3 basketball league is the sport's dominant league.  I highly doubt you can find one.  5-on-5 and basketball are synonymous, and 3-on-3 is what you do at neighborhood park when you can't find enough people to play a real game.

45 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I would say that, yes, specifically because of the nature of being an elementary activity that grows into the actual adaption of the sport - it does make it less of an Olympic event. 

To be fair, there are only 5 true Olympic events.  Pentathlon, Boxing, Wrestling, horse riding and Pankration (wrestle boxing) Anything outside of those five isn’t a true Olympic sport if you want to be historically accurate.

Just now, Keenan9595 said:

To be fair, there are only 5 true Olympic events.  Pentathlon, Boxing, Wrestling, horse riding and Pankration (wrestle boxing) Anything outside of those five isn’t a true Olympic sport if you want to be historically accurate.

The uniforms have changed a bit over the years, too.

36 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Basketball means 5-on-5.  You can play 1-on-1, 2-on-2, et al variants, but the game as designed is 5-on-5.

My personal druthers would be for the Olympics to be limited to the actual main version of a sport and to cut its variants.  Obviously that line is subjective, particularly when it comes to track and field and swimming.  Do we really need 6 different lengths of freestyle swimming events?  Sure seems like elite swimmers win multiple length events regularly, which tells me that the events are more similar than they are different.  Perhaps it should be just a "sprint" distance and "marathon" distance for each swimming discipline. 

Basketball is more clear cut though.  The world recognizes 5-on-5 as the standard for the sport.  If you disagree, then I challenge you to name a single country where a 3-on-3 basketball league is the sport's dominant league.  I highly doubt you can find one.  5-on-5 and basketball are synonymous, and 3-on-3 is what you do at neighborhood park when you can't find enough people to play a real game.

Luxembourg maybe?

2 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

They have an Olympic committee that decides what sports are in and what sports are not. When they decide to place a sport in the competition that, by definition, makes it an Olympic sport. I do not particularly like baseball and I did play it in elementary school. It was out, then in, then out, and now its back in. That makes it an olympic sport.

You played on a greatly reduced sized field with different bats and balls, etc... that differentiate it from the actual professional, olympic level sport, in elementary school. And I can disagree with the committee, and would vote against 3 on 3 if I was on it. 

34 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

You played on a greatly reduced sized field with different bats and balls, etc... that differentiate it from the actual professional, olympic level sport, in elementary school. And I can disagree with the committee, and would vote against 3 on 3 if I was on it. 

My point was I wouldn't put baseball in but it doesn't matter. If the  committee puts it in then its an olympic sport like it or not. We could list lots of sports we  don't like, don't understand or feel that are not worthy (see the picture above this post for instance). And regardless of what you or I feel the winner of 3 on 3 basketball will be taking a gold medal home. 

On 5/17/2021 at 2:38 PM, Silverbacked1 said:

Yeah I blew out knee number two a week before my youngest son's baptism playing 3 on 3 downtown in the streets, when it was a "cool" thing to do back in the 90's!🤨

I have done some stupid things in my life that has made my wife mad, but that was the one time I thought she was going to divorce me, she was livid.🦍

Some things, crap my wife would tell most things I do upset her.

Buzzy Caruthers was on 93.7 today - said Breidenbach will not be delayed in arriving in Lincoln because of the injury. He'll go through all of the film study, etc, with the others until he's ready to do the physical stuff. They won't push it with his recovery so they can have him healthy coming out of summer.

• 3 weeks later...

Good Update from Fred Hoiberg:

https://nebraska.n.rivals.com/news/fred-hoiberg-excited-after-initial-look-at-2021-22-nebraska-squad

GRAND ISLAND - The 2021-22 Nebraska basketball team has only been mostly together for a little more than two weeks, but the early returns head coach Fred Hoiberg has seen thus far have fueled more optimism than ever.

While two scholarship players are not yet on campus - sophomore guard Keisei Tominaga and freshman center Oleg Kojenets - the rest of the Huskers' roster arrived in Lincoln at the beginning of June.

Edited by Red Don