Summer Notes

World-Herald had a bit of a summer update today - a couple of notes:

• Players return to campus June 4
  • Tominaga is trying to qualify for Japan's 3x3 Olympic team, so he'll be a little late getting to campus ... or a lot late if it goes well
  • Kojenets is playing in an international tournament, so he'll be late as well

Otherwise, it should be a relatively normal summer in how the players can work out, can use facilities, etc., unlike 2020.

7 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I've always been against these extra tournaments these dudes play in (especially a 3 on 3 tournament, yikes...) - just get your butt on campus and start gelling with the guys. 

Agreed! 100%! I caught a little crap for this view a couple of years ago when it was Yvan playing for France, but he *really* needed the reps with *our* coaches.

26 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Agreed! 100%! I caught a little crap for this view a couple of years ago when it was Yvan playing for France, but he *really* needed the reps with *our* coaches.

What's our success rate for these guys doing these tournaments and then coming in either, 1. completely ready and gelled with the team, or 2. just a different level of player because of the experience they got? 

Jack McVeigh - absolutely not

Yvan - absolutely not

Tai Webster - maybe? But probably not

Especially a 3 on 3 tournament? If I was Hoiberg I would say, "Be here June 4th if you want to play next year. Got plenty of other guys who will be ready." I don't really care about Kojenets, as we have other bigs and I wasn't expecting much out of him this year. But Tominaga needs to get here. 

Edited by basketballjones

7 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

It’s not a 3v3 tournament. It’s the Olympic Games held in his home country. I’m an epl fan and my favorites club is losing players to the olympics as well, which is unfortunate for the club and fans like me but a no brainer for the players. You have a chance to represent your country in one of the biggest sporting events in the world that only takes place every four years and you think he should turn it down to get to preseason work outs in Lincoln? 

I agree 100% with this.

36 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

It’s not a 3v3 tournament. It’s the Olympic Games held in his home country. I’m an epl fan and my favorites club is losing players to the olympics as well, which is unfortunate for the club and fans like me but a no brainer for the players. You have a chance to represent your country in one of the biggest sporting events in the world that only takes place every four years and you think he should turn it down to get to preseason work outs in Lincoln? 

I had to go back and re-read the original post.  Maybe this is a situation of reading things on the internet before my second cup of coffee, but I completely glazed over the fact that this is an Olympic qualifying tournament.  That does change things a bit.  As such, I would like to shift my argument from "Keisei should prioritize getting to campus over a silly 3-on-3 tourney" to "3-on-3 is silly and shouldn't be an Olympic sport." 

Edited by aphilso1

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

"3-on-3 is silly and shouldn't be an Olympic sport." 

I agree, but I also watch an absurd amout of curling during the Winter Olympics so I feel I have no room to talk. Also the Olympics are my favorite sporting event so if an individual has the opportunity to represent thier country that takes priorty for me over all else.

Edited by cornfed24-7
Sp

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

I had to go back and re-read the original post.  Maybe this is a situation of reading things on the internet before my second cup of coffee, but I completely glazed over the fact that this is an Olympic qualifying tournament.  That does change things a bit.  As such, I would like to shift my argument from "Keisei should prioritize getting to campus over a silly 3-on-3 tourney" to "3-on-3 is silly and shouldn't be an Olympic sport." 

I'm digging in. Still 3 on 3. 

23 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I agree, but I also watch an absurd amout of curling during the Winter Olympics so I feel I have no room to talk. Also the Olympics are my favorite sporting event so if an individual has the opportunity to represent thier country that takes priorty for me over all else.

I think the argument can be made that curling isn't a sport.  However, if curling is indeed a sport, then it makes more sense to be in the Olympics than 3-on-3 basketball.  In my opinion, variations of a sport should be heavily scrutinized before being given the green light to be in the Olympics.  I just don't see 3-on-3 as a unique enough event to justify its inclusion.  

Representing your country or fighting for your country used to mean something.   It still does mean something to some, including me.  If a coach told me to choose, there is no doubt in my mind that I would represent my country.   I would also assure my coach and future teammates that once I arrive, I will become dedicated to UNL.  

Tougher to sell today then a couple generations ago...

I wonder how much crap Willie Mays, Rocky Blier or Ted Williams took for serving our country.   Different yes, but not really. 

Some events no longer in the olympics:

Added to this is a large number of discontinued events from sports that are still on the program, such as the swimming events of plunge for distance and underwater swimming, the track and field events of the standing highjump and tug-of-war, and the shooting events of running deer and dueling pistol. There are many more, you can have a look at the complete list of all discontinued sports, or my list of some the more unusual sports.

These are croquet, cricket, Jeu de Paume, pelota, polo, roque, rackets, tug-of-war, lacrosse, baseball, softball, and motor boating.

and...

Architecture[edit]

200px-Amsterdam_Olympisch_Stadion.jpg

The 1928 Olympic Stadium, designed by Jan Wils, won the gold medal in architecture at the 1928 Olympics.

Until the Amsterdam Games in 1928, the architectural competition was not divided into categories. The 1928 games introduced a town planning category. However, the division was not always clear, and some designs were awarded prizes in both categories.

Entries in this category were allowed to have been "published" before the Olympics. A notable example of this is the 1928 gold medal for architecture awarded to Jan Wils for his design of the Olympic Stadium used in the same Olympics.

Literature[edit]

The literature competitions were divided into a varied number of categories. Until 1924 and again in 1932, there was only a single literature category. In 1928, separate categories were introduced for dramatic, epic, and lyric literature. Awards in these categories were also presented in 1948, while the drama category was dropped in 1936.

Entered works were limited in length (20,000 words) and could be submitted in any language, provided they were accompanied by English and/or French translations or summaries (rules varied over the years).

Music[edit]

A single event for music was held until 1936, when three categories were introduced: one for orchestral music, one for instrumental music, and one for both solo and choral music. In 1948, these categories were slightly modified into choral/orchestral, instrumental/chamber, and vocal music.

The juries often had trouble judging the pieces, which were entered on paper. Possibly related to the problematic judging, juries frequently decided to award only a few prizes. On two occasions, no award was given out at all (in the 1924 music category and in the 1936 instrumental music category).

1936 marked the only occasion when the winning musical works were actually played before an audience.

Josef Suk is the only well-known musician to have competed, winning a silver medal in 1932.

Painting[edit]

200px-Rugby_by_Jean_Jacoby.png

Jean Jacoby is the only artist to win two gold medals. He won his second with the above drawing, titled Rugby.

As with the other art forms, a single painting category was on the program until 1928, when it was split out into three sub-categories: drawings, graphic arts, and paintings. The categories then changed at each of the following Olympic Games. In 1932, the three categories were: paintings, prints, and watercolors/drawings. Four years later, the prints category had disappeared, and had been replaced by graphic arts and commercial graphic art. At the final Olympic art competition, the three categories were applied arts and crafts, engravings/etchings, and oils/water colours.

Sculpture[edit]

The sculpture class had only a single category until 1928, when two separate competitions were designated; one for statues and one for reliefs and medals. In 1936, this was split up further, separating reliefs and medals into their own categories.

Notable competitors

It certainly doesn't help the player's chances of jumping right into big minutes the following season, but it's tough to tell a player what's actually required to have early success. All new players think they're ready ... then they have their first real practice/scrimmage.

It's also tough to convince a young player that any short-term gain of playing in tournaments like this probably will make the long-term gain take longer because they missed the summer with their future teammates.

However, no coach is going to tell a player he can't represent his country in these tournaments, or that'll be the last international player he has a chance to recruit. So I guess it's just part of the deal when you're recruiting/signing international players. 

I guess it's better than the alternative of recruiting international players who aren't good enough to be part of these teams.

2 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Playing 3 on 3. Like I did as a 5th grader. 

Yeah I blew out knee number two a week before my youngest son's baptism playing 3 on 3 downtown in the streets, when it was a "cool" thing to do back in the 90's!🤨

I have done some stupid things in my life that has made my wife mad, but that was the one time I thought she was going to divorce me, she was livid.🦍

1 minute ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Yeah I blew out knee number two a week before my youngest son's baptism playing 3 on 3 downtown in the streets, when it was a "cool" thing to do back in the 90's!🤨

I have done some stupid things in my life that has made my wife mad, but that was the one time I thought she was going to divorce me, she was livid.🦍

"Honey, does this mean you're not going to kiss it and make it feel better?"

6 minutes ago, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

Just because you did it in elementary school, doesn't make it less of an Olympic event.

I would say that, yes, specifically because of the nature of being an elementary activity that grows into the actual adaption of the sport - it does make it less of an Olympic event. 

31 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I would say that, yes, specifically because of the nature of being an elementary activity that grows into the actual adaption of the sport - it does make it less of an Olympic event. 

They have an Olympic committee that decides what sports are in and what sports are not. When they decide to place a sport in the competition that, by definition, makes it an Olympic sport. I do not particularly like baseball and I did play it in elementary school. It was out, then in, then out, and now its back in. That makes it an olympic sport.