New rules?

New rule proposals and discussions.   What are thoughts on these proposals.  I have posted my initial reaction in red.  Reserve the right to change my mind!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-rule-changes-up-for-debate-six-fouls-quasi-quarters-reducing-timeouts-and-more/

Likely to be recommended

• Laptops, tablets allowed on the bench for coaching purposes only     I have no stand on this. 
  • Tweak traveling interpretation to universally allow players to Euro step, use spin moves and step-backs  They do that already.  They also carry and palm the ball!

Unlikely to be recommended

• Widening the lane to 16 feet (currently 12 feet).   Would be okay I think.
  • Award possession to defense after a held-ball.    I like the alternate rule. 
  • Eliminate 10-second backcourt rule.     On the fence....
  • Allow offensive team to decline free throws in final two minutes and overtime(s); opt for inbound instead.    Very interesting!
  • Eliminate five-second closely guarded rule.    I am a little concern that they are eliminating all rewards for defense (except for jump balls)
  • Allow instant replay on shot-clock violation in final two minutes/overtime on a missed shot    I am fine with that. 
  • Allow instant replay on basket interference/goaltending calls -- but only if/after an official calls the violation   I am fine with that. 

Potential for two-year NIT trial period

• Two-timeout limit per team with under two minutes in regulation and throughout overtime(s)   No from me. 
  • Eliminate offensive basket interference and use FIBA rule instead: ball is always live after it makes contact with the rim  NO!

Big debates await

• Introduce quasi quarters by resetting team fouls at 10-minute mark of each half. Begin double bonus on fifth foul within each 10-minute segment. This eliminates the one-and-one free throw.  NO!
  • Modified six-foul rule: player is allowed three fouls per half (would be disqualified if they committed four fouls in a half). However, a player can commit two or three first-half fouls and have as many four or three more to use for the remainder of the game, allowing for six total.   No!  Keep it simple!
Edited by REDitus

6 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

The rule I find interesting is to decline free throws and take the ball on the side. A rule change for me would be when the ball gets stuck between the backboard and the side of the rim it should go to the defense and not be a jump ball. Always felt that rewarded a terrible shot.

If they decline free throws, the foul shouldn't count against the defender.

13 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

The rule I find interesting is to decline free throws and take the ball on the side. A rule change for me would be when the ball gets stuck between the backboard and the side of the rim it should go to the defense and not be a jump ball. Always felt that rewarded a terrible shot.

I think the stuck ball going to the defense is a great suggestion.

8 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

If they decline free throws, the foul shouldn't count against the defender.

Have to disagree with this line of thought.  They have to have some sort of penalty otherwise they would be hacking people left and right.    

If teams were able to decline free throws in the final 2 minutes, that would be interesting to see how that would change the defensive strategy of extending the last couple minutes of the game. At least at first, I’m not totally against this, because the fouling at the end of games gets ridiculously annoying.

I also wouldn’t mind bumping personal foul limits from 5 to 6.

i don't want free throws to disappear. kids need to work on these when they're younger and less on how to take selfies of their own dunks. 

I don't like punishing kids who put in the time on fundamentals for those that either don't or can't. It rewards poor training.

I can see adding a couple of seconds to the backcourt transition in order to give some teams a bit of extra time in dealing with a press. but again, breaking presses is trainable, and many teams do put in the work to break them (it's largely a passing skill test anyway). I also like the fact that a team playing from behind has a tool that can let them get back in a game more quickly. 

Things I think the game needs:

1. Elam Ending

2. Shooting Foul or in Double Bonus = Make 1st FT, counts for 2 (Miss the first you can still make the second for 1). 

3. Have to tweak what the offensive players are allowed to do while creating contact on the drive or in the paint. They get away with murder on stuff that ends up getting called a foul on the defense. 

9 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I see what you're saying, but that would kind of eliminate the idea of what you're trying to do. A defense up 3 would then just immediately tackle until the clock died. 

The fouled team could choose to shoot FTs, though. In which case the foul would count. But the team that's up 3 that declines the FTs shouldn't foul out the other team.

I generally don't like this idea. I like the idea that a team has to win it at the FT line at the end. A team that's behind needs some strategic way of keeping the outcome in doubt until the final tick.

I wish that before the first couple of games of the year they would show video and to show  how the game is going to be called or try to be called that season.

You would have a lot less yelling from the crowd and maybe the coaches and players might understand better too.

I think they do that with the players and coaches or they used to, but in the heat of the battle one still screams bad call 😉

9 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

The fouled team could choose to shoot FTs, though. In which case the foul would count. But the team that's up 3 that declines the FTs shouldn't foul out the other team.

I generally don't like this idea. I like the idea that a team has to win it at the FT line at the end. A team that's behind needs some strategic way of keeping the outcome in doubt until the final tick.

We have also seen teams have real trouble inbounding the ball during games, so might make for some heart stopping minutes.  But free throws do seem to be a better way to keep it competitive. 

It really won't matter because for every rule that is made, some coach somewhere will figure out how to use it to their own favor.  Thus causing a new rule change.

How about eliminating the charge call altogether.  Its just got to be so confusing what is or isn't a charge anymore.  I think the game would be better without it personally.  Wouldn't see people flopping and all that BS.  JMO but it would be interesting to see it at least on a trial run.

The only problem I have with the "elect to inbound rather than shoot free throws" rule is that it makes yet another rule that is only applied at specific times of the game.  Generally speaking, I want a game officiated the same way throughout rather than applying a rule change at an arbitrary time of the clock.  I would prefer a coach to be able to, at any point in the game, elect to inbound rather than shoot FTs.  That or keep the rule unchanged.  Just none of this "was the foul committed at 2:01 or 2:00?" nonsense.

6 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

The problem with the Elam rule is that we would never see a Jalen Suggs or Christian Laettner buzzer beater again.

But there would be literal game-winning shots in every single game.  Wouldn't we see more of them? Just not from full court?

1 minute ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

True, but it would have a different feel to it. Like hitting the winner in pickup game to 10.  It is an interesting idea though.

I like the idea of every single game having clutch time.  Even in a 30-point blowout there would still be a game-winner.

I don't think it will ever happen, but I certainly wouldn't complain if it did.