New rules?

I was sitting in my living room, alone, watching the end of this game intently (I had become somewhat emotionally invested in UCLA and their cinderella run to the final four this year) and let out a pretty loud shout when Suggs hit that shot.  I may have disturbed people.

That type of emotion and release would NEVER happen with an Elam ending.  It would end the buzzer-beater forever and I, for one, think that is a horrible, HORRIBLE idea.  True buzzer beaters (and they are much more frequent than one might think) are the essence of college hoops.  Elam endings are the most boring endings one could possibly imagine, and I've seen a fair share of them.  It's bad enough that they use them in TBT.  Leave them there or let them die please.

23 hours ago, ConkintheCorner said:

How about eliminating the charge call altogether.  Its just got to be so confusing what is or isn't a charge anymore.  I think the game would be better without it personally.  Wouldn't see people flopping and all that BS.  JMO but it would be interesting to see it at least on a trial run.

Shamiel Stevenson would have averaged 30 points a game if there were no charges called.

17 hours ago, 49r said:

I was sitting in my living room, alone, watching the end of this game intently (I had become somewhat emotionally invested in UCLA and their cinderella run to the final four this year) and let out a pretty loud shout when Suggs hit that shot.  I may have disturbed people.

That type of emotion and release would NEVER happen with an Elam ending.  It would end the buzzer-beater forever and I, for one, think that is a horrible, HORRIBLE idea.  True buzzer beaters (and they are much more frequent than one might think) are the essence of college hoops.  Elam endings are the most boring endings one could possibly imagine, and I've seen a fair share of them.  It's bad enough that they use them in TBT.  Leave them there or let them die please.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. 

For every buzzer beater, there's 100 games that end pointless fouling and non-stop time outs. I, obviously, agree that it would end the "end of the game" buzzer beater - but completely new times of excitement would be created. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 10:53 AM, ConkintheCorner said:

How about eliminating the charge call altogether.  Its just got to be so confusing what is or isn't a charge anymore.  I think the game would be better without it personally.  Wouldn't see people flopping and all that BS.  JMO but it would be interesting to see it at least on a trial run.

Why not get rid of the blocking foul?

I would like to see the 5 second call expanded (call it on dribbling and eliminate the closely guarded aspect).  This would force teams to move the ball as one player dribbling the ball for 14 seconds is about as exciting as watching paint dry.

I am not a fan of the double bonus...I would go back to the 1 and 1 for all bonus fouls...i think the best part of the game is the last two minutes and doing anything to make it harder to come back from a deficit is the worst thing you can do the game....I would totally go in the other direction.

I also would offer a coach the opportunity to advance the ball using a timeout...but he forfeits the time spent on the bench...so he calls timeout..advances the ball but they don't get time to discuss strategy...This would help with pacing at the end of games as I think many coaches would take the advancing of the ball in the last 20 seconds or so and probably save timeouts just in case he needs this option  in the last seconds of a game.

2 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

I would like to see the 5 second call expanded (call it on dribbling and eliminate the closely guarded aspect).  This would force teams to move the ball as one player dribbling the ball for 14 seconds is about as exciting as watching paint dry.

I am not a fan of the double bonus...I would go back to the 1 and 1 for all bonus fouls...i think the best part of the game is the last two minutes and doing anything to make it harder to come back from a deficit is the worst thing you can do the game....I would totally go in the other direction.

Going to the 1-and-1 for all fouls is definitely going to make it harder to come back.

On 5/7/2021 at 11:21 AM, basketballjones said:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. 

For every buzzer beater, there's 100 games that end pointless fouling and non-stop time outs. I, obviously, agree that it would end the "end of the game" buzzer beater - but completely new times of excitement would be created. 

Couldn't agree more.  Times evolve.  Elam ending is tremendous new school idea.  I love seeing games end playing basketball as it is designed to be played.  There are still thrilling shots made at the end.  They just are not buzzer beaters as there is no clock that is being strung out for 15 minutes.   I also like the aspect that a game is never really over.  You hear the phrase "no clock in baseball."  I like it here too.  Too many old school types making the decisions anyway so it is a moot point.  

Edited by royalfan

On 5/27/2021 at 9:19 AM, Blindcheck said:

I like your idea about limiting over dribbling.    

I am fine with the double bonus though as it helps cut down on the hacking. 

Here is a  comparison of FIBA/NBA/College.    After looking through them,  I have to say overall I like the FIBA rules best  

https://www.fiba.basketball/rule-differences

Edited by REDitus

On 5/28/2021 at 9:05 AM, REDitus said:

I like your idea about limiting over dribbling.    

I am fine with the double bonus though as it helps cut down on the hacking. 

Here is a  comparison of FIBA/NBA/College.    After looking through them,  I have to say overall I like the FIBA rules best  

https://www.fiba.basketball/rule-differences

I don't like the double bonus. It helps the bad free throw shooting teams.

2 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

why would it make it harder?  if i am behind and I foul you...and you have to earn the second free throw instead of getting it automatically.  

Unless you mean all fouls even before you reach the bonus.  I meant all fouls after you reach the Bonus.

3 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

why would it make it harder?  if i am behind and I foul you...and you have to earn the second free throw instead of getting it automatically.  

You’re behind, you get fouled, you have to earn the second free throw.

• 2 months later...