Who goes and who stays in 2022-23?

75unlgrad

Will Lat Mayan, Trey McGowen, and/or Derrick Walker stay an extra year and play in 2022-23?  They are considered juniors in terms on eligibility and could return in 2022-23 and play an additional year.  Would their scholarship count against our total of 13 scholarships?  I think it does but I am not sure on that point.

Looking at the rest of the current players and signed commits, we have 8 other scholarship players:

Delano Banton

Keisei Tominaga

Eduardo Andre

Wilhelm Breidenbach

Keon Edwards

Oleg Kojenets

Bryce McGowen

C. J. Wilcher

Looking at our recruiting needs for 2022-23:  (I think we want to take 4 players)

Blaise Keita  --  already a verbal commitment

Isaac Traudt  --  on our most wanted list

Point guard  --  To be determined

Another forward  --  To be determined

If we are successful in signing the 4 scholarship players we want to the 2022-23 class, that is a total of 12 scholarship players going into 2022-23.  That leaves room for only one of the three 'seniors' that could return.  

Lat Mayan  --  I don't think he will return

Derrick Walker  --  There are rumors that he wants to return for another year

Trey McGowen  --  If any of the 3 seniors return, I hope it is Trey.  The position he plays, his experience, his athleticism, and his defensive ability will help us more than the other two

(Delano Banton  --  Unless he has a 'break out' year, I look for him to be a 'senior transfer' in 2022-23 which would open up another scholarship)

How do you see it?

Yikes...seems a bit early.  Need to see next year before speculating too far ahead...maybe not, but personally, place me in the "no clue" category.

For example, I am still holding my breath on Blaise.  Nothing yet is signed, sealed or delivered.  He now has a few big boys after him.  I can hope; but...

44 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Whoa whoa whoa...let us enjoy our first NCAA tournament win before we start jumping ahead like this...

I can't help myself.  I am chugging gallons of red kool-aid daily.  Have you seen the list of our recruiting commitments for 2021-22? (chug, chug, chug) Have you seen what Blaise Keita did in the Juco championship game?  (chug, chug, chug)  Our chances with Isaac Trout seem to be improving each week.  He is coming on an official visit early in June.  (chug, chug, chug)  I am already looking past our first NCAA tournament win to our first trip to the Sweet 16.  More kool-aid.  More kool-aid.  I don't know if this addiction is a blessing or a curse.  Did someone say FINAL FOUR!!!

2 hours ago, 75unlgrad said:

Will Lat Mayan, Trey McGowen, and/or Derrick Walker stay an extra year and play in 2022-23?  They are considered juniors in terms on eligibility and could return in 2022-23 and play an additional year.  Would their scholarship count against our total of 13 scholarships?  I think it does but I am not sure on that point.

Looking at the rest of the current players and signed commits, we have 8 other scholarship players:

Delano Banton

Keisei Tominaga

Eduardo Andre

Wilhelm Breidenbach

Keon Edwards

Oleg Kojenets

Bryce McGowen

C. J. Wilcher

Looking at our recruiting needs for 2022-23:  (I think we want to take 4 players)

Blaise Keita  --  already a verbal commitment

Isaac Traudt  --  on our most wanted list

Point guard  --  To be determined

Another forward  --  To be determined

If we are successful in signing the 4 scholarship players we want to the 2022-23 class, that is a total of 12 scholarship players going into 2022-23.  That leaves room for only one of the three 'seniors' that could return.  

Lat Mayan  --  I don't think he will return

Derrick Walker  --  There are rumors that he wants to return for another year

Trey McGowen  --  If any of the 3 seniors return, I hope it is Trey.  The position he plays, his experience, his athleticism, and his defensive ability will help us more than the other two

(Delano Banton  --  Unless he has a 'break out' year, I look for him to be a 'senior transfer' in 2022-23 which would open up another scholarship)

How do you see it?

There are "too early" threads.  There are "way too early" threads.  Then there are threads talking about who is going to stay for a season after a season that hasn't even happened yet and won't start for another 7 months.  HAHA!  

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

There are "too early" threads.  There are "way too early" threads.  Then there are threads talking about who is going to stay for a season after a season that hasn't even happened yet and won't start for another 7 months.  HAHA!  

It's a lot more fun being optimistic when thinking about what Fred and Matt are putting together.  I like thinking about this coming year and beyond (I like thinking about Husker basketball better than football).  To my eyes, the future looks brighter than it ever has.  I think I'll chug another gallon of kool-aid and check out the transfer portal.

I think I mentioned in another thread that I am 69 years old.  For me, the future is now.  Fred and Matt must get it done within the next few years or I might miss it.

I enjoy thinking about possible future line-ups.  Who would have thought that we might be able to chose a line-up from this kind of talented 2022-23 roster?

Choose one center:

Eduardo Andre  --  6'10"  225 lbs.

Blaise Keita  --  6'10  240 lbs.

Oleg Kojenets  -- 7'0"  220 lbs.

Choose two forwards:

Wilhelm Breidenbach  --  6'9"  210 lbs.

Keon Edwards  --  6'7"  190 lbs.

Isaac Traudt  --  6'9"  210 lbs.

To be determined  --  not recruited yet

Choose two guards:

Delano Banton  --  6'9"  205 lbs.

Keisei Tominaga  --  6'0"  165 lbs.

Bryce McGowen  --  6'5"  180 lbs.

C.J. Wilcher --  6'4"  185 lbs.

12 scholarships committed and save one for an exceptional transfer possibility.

This roster has flexibility:

Breidenbach can guard the 4 or 5

Edwards can guard the 2, 3, or 4

Traudt can guard the 3 or 4

Banton can guard the 2, 3, or 4

B. McGowen can guard the 2 or 3

Wilcher can guard the 1 or 2

I know a hundred different things will happen between now and our run to the Final Four in 2022-23 -- both good things and bad.  But right now, we have more reasons than ever to be optimistic.  Tim Miles had two good teams -- Pitchford, Shields, Pettaway, Smith but no depth -- and the other was Roby, Copeland, Palmer, Watson but again no depth.  The talent those two teams had in their starting line-ups equaled or matched the talent of the top teams in the Big 10.  Seeing the Huskers have that kind of talent spoiled me.  I want that kind of talent every year.  I was especially spoiled after watching the talents of Roby, Copeland, Palmer, and Watson.  Those are the types of players we need to complete for the top of the conference.  I think we are recruiting that kind of talent.  I enjoy thinking about the talented possibilities our line-up might have next year and beyond.  I hope our future starting line-ups have more talent than any of Tim Miles's teams and our depth allows us to play 9 or 10 players with no drop off.  It's fun to think about.

I’m pretty excited about the 2021-2022 season, so I havent put much thought into who will leave after 2021-2022, but Walker has already said he is staying for 2 more seasons, so he will be back for 2022-2023 and I believe Trey will stay for 2 seasons as well. Not sure what to expect with Lat, but his decision probably depends on how quickly Wilhelm develops and if he passes Lat up.

Edited by Nebrasketballer

6 hours ago, 75unlgrad said:

I enjoy thinking about possible future line-ups.  Who would have thought that we might be able to chose a line-up from this kind of talented 2022-23 roster?

Choose one center:

Eduardo Andre  --  6'10"  225 lbs.

Blaise Keita  --  6'10  240 lbs.

Oleg Kojenets  -- 7'0"  220 lbs.

Choose two forwards:

Wilhelm Breidenbach  --  6'9"  210 lbs.

Keon Edwards  --  6'7"  190 lbs.

Isaac Traudt  --  6'9"  210 lbs.

Choose two guards:

Delano Banton  --  6'9"  205 lbs.

Keisei Tominaga  --  6'0"  165 lbs.

Bryce McGowen  --  6'5"  180 lbs.

C.J. Wilcher --  6'4"  185 lbs.

12 scholarships committed and save one for an exceptional transfer possibility.

This roster has flexibility:

Breidenbach can guard the 4 or 5

Edwards can guard the 2, 3, or 4

Traudt can guard the 3 or 4

Banton can guard the 2, 3, or 4

B. McGowen can guard the 2 or 3

Wilcher can guard the 1 or 2

I know a hundred different things will happen between now and our run to the Final Four in 2022-23 -- both good things and bad.  But right now, we have more reasons than ever to be optimistic.  Tim Miles had two good teams -- Pitchford, Shields, Pettaway, Smith but no depth -- and the other was Roby, Copeland, Palmer, Watson but again no depth.  The talent those two teams had in their starting line-ups equaled or matched the talent of the top teams in the Big 10.  Seeing the Huskers have that kind of talent spoiled me.  I want that kind of talent every year.  I was especially spoiled after watching the talents of Roby, Copeland, Palmer, and Watson.  Those are the types of players we need to complete for the top of the conference.  I think we are recruiting that kind of talent.  I enjoy thinking about the talented possibilities our line-up might have next year and beyond.  I hope our future starting line-ups have more talent than any of Tim Miles's teams and our depth allows us to play 9 or 10 players with no drop off.  It's fun to think about.

Roby, Copeland, Palmer, and Watson? - Allen always came up big in bigtime games, Anton Gill was a consensus four star, Evan Taylor was a solid D-1 player, and they had two big bodies in Jordy and Duby.  So maybe they underachieved but that was a real D-1 basketball team.

12 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

Roby, Copeland, Palmer, and Watson? - Allen always came up big in bigtime games, Anton Gill was a consensus four star, Evan Taylor was a solid D-1 player, and they had two big bodies in Jordy and Duby.  So maybe they underachieved but that was a real D-1 basketball team.

I agree that Tim Miles brought in talented players that could play at a high level in the Big 10.  I said I was spoiled by seeing this kind of talent playing for Nebraska.  But he never had ENOUGH of those players to go 8 or 9 deep.  We were at a disadvantage when we substituted players into the game.  Lack of depth was the downfall for Tim Mile's program.

It appears that Fred (and Matt) are bringing in talented players that can compete well in the Big 10.  It is exciting to think about the possibilities of this recruiting class as they develop over the next several years.  And adding another talented recruiting class in 2022-23 would give us (on paper) the most talented and deepest roster we have had since the Danny Nee years.  And I have reason to be optimistic that this next recruiting class of 2022-23 will add 3 or 4 high quality players (Blaise Keita is a great start to this class, hopefully add Isaac Traudt, a point guard, and another forward and this class could be a Top 15 class.)  

Again, I am excited to think about the possibility of putting two top recruiting classes back-to-back.  It could happen.  At Nebraska.  I am a BELIEVER.

21 hours ago, Nebrasketballer said:

I’m pretty excited about the 2021-2022 season, so I havent put much thought into who will leave after 2021-2022, but Walker has already said he is staying for 2 more seasons, so he will be back for 2022-2023 and I believe Trey will stay for 2 seasons as well. Not sure what to expect with Lat, but his decision probably depends on how quickly Wilhelm develops and if he passes Lat up.

Did not know Walker had said that...  That is kinda surprising to me but good news none the less.

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:
2 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Trey will stick around to play with Bryce as long as possible, right? And I think it’s safe to say we’ll  NEVER see another 20 loss season as long as Fred is here...

We just lost 20 after only playing 27 games so never say never

Fred is also the single record holder of 20+ losses in a single season (2). Our worst losing seasons have been: 26, 20, 19 (x3), and 18 (x7).

If you normalize to a 30-game season from the Danny Nee era through today, our wins/losses distributions seem to hover around 16-17 wins on the season. If you break that down by individual coach (I'm leaving out Hoiberg due to such a low sample size), you can really see some separation between Nee and everyone else. Miles had some better years than Sadler, but also had more bad seasons in total which limited his average wins on a season. (It's also not an entirely fair comparison, given SOS, NET, etc. aren't factored in.)

I just hope we can get back to some a Danny Nee level of wins where we're skewing more towards the 20+ win seasons (on a normalized 30-game season) than a 16-win type of season.

image.png

image.png

Our roster is over-flowing with talent -- and I mean over-flowing.  With the addition of Quaran McPherson, we now have 14 players on our roster for the coming season.  Two of those players do not count against our scholarship total (Koby Webster and Trever Lakes).   That leaves 12 scholarship players that could return in 2022-23.  We have one verbal commitment for 2022-23 (Blaise Keita) and we would like to add Isaac Traudt and Jason Green.  If we do get Traudt and Green, we would be 2 scholarships over the limit for 2022-23.  So again I ask -- who stays and who goes from the 2022-23 roster???

Backcourt for 2021-22:

Koby Webster              6'0"     Senior

Trey McGowen             6'4"     Junior

Delano Banton              6'9"     Sophomore

Keisei Tominaga           6'0"     Sophomore

Bryce McGowen           6'5"     Freshman

Quaran McPherson       6'4"     Freshman

C.J. Wilcher                   6'4"     Freshman

Frontcourt for 2021-22:

Trever Lakes                 6'7"     Senior

Lat Mayan                     6'8"     Junior

Derrick Walker              6'8"     Junior

Eduardo Andre             6'10"    Freshman

W. Breidenbach            6'10"    Freshman

Keon Edwards              6'7"      Freshman

Oleg Kojenets               7'0"     Freshman

Can you imagine the practices we will have?  Each player will need to 'bring it' everyday or get left behind.

Will we need 'walk-ons' for our varsity players to practice against?  It will be hard to keep 14 players happy with their practice time let alone game minutes.

8 hours ago, 75unlgrad said:

Our roster is over-flowing with talent -- and I mean over-flowing.  With the addition of Quaran McPherson, we now have 14 players on our roster for the coming season.  Two of those players do not count against our scholarship total (Koby Webster and Trever Lakes).   That leaves 12 scholarship players that could return in 2022-23.  We have one verbal commitment for 2022-23 (Blaise Keita) and we would like to add Isaac Traudt and Jason Green.  If we do get Traudt and Green, we would be 2 scholarships over the limit for 2022-23.  So again I ask -- who stays and who goes from the 2022-23 roster???

Backcourt for 2021-22:

Koby Webster              6'0"     Senior

Trey McGowen             6'4"     Junior

Delano Banton              6'9"     Sophomore

Keisei Tominaga           6'0"     Sophomore

Bryce McGowen           6'5"     Freshman

Quaran McPherson       6'4"     Freshman

C.J. Wilcher                   6'4"     Freshman

Frontcourt for 2021-22:

Trever Lakes                 6'7"     Senior

Lat Mayan                     6'8"     Junior

Derrick Walker              6'8"     Junior

Eduardo Andre             6'10"    Freshman

W. Breidenbach            6'10"    Freshman

Keon Edwards              6'7"      Freshman

Oleg Kojenets               7'0"     Freshman

There are several scenarios that could play out, but here are some possibilities. Lat returns to Australia to play professionally and Banton improves his game enough to take a shot at the next level (G league or overseas??). Walker could look to play professionally as well and even Trey if he feels it's time for the next step. Then if Bryce has a monster season...

I'll give a halfway answer.  With so many quality players and only 200 mpg to split among them, it will come down to who loses the battle for specific roles.

1. McPherson or Banton.  If McPherson is going to crack the rotation, it will be as an extra ball handler when Trey goes to the bench.  Obviously Banton is versatile enough that he will earn minutes with or without Trey on the floor, but if he can't earn back the backup PG role in addition to his minutes at the 3/4 then I don't think he will be playing enough to be happy.  

2. Tominaga or Edwards.  At face value these two guys don't appear to be in direct competition for minutes.  But to me, this hinges on whether Tominaga's shot translates to D1 ball.  If it does, then the need to keep Tominaga on the floor as a sharpshooter (over more well-rounded players) has to bump somebody's minutes.  And the other guys expected to be in the rotation at the 2 (Bryce and CJ) are going to play a lot regardless of position.  That means the versatile player who is on the edge of the rotation is now bumped out of the rotation altogether.  Sorry Keon.  I don't see anyway that both Tominaga and Edwards get 10+ mpg this year, and whoever doesn't will be an obvious transfer candidate.

3. Andre or DW.  Because for whatever reason, we can't keep a promising big man on the roster for a full career.  If Keita tears it up in JUCO again and DW does indeed come back for another season, I don't see Andre as wanting to potentially be the #3 center on the roster as a junior.

4. Lat.  According to the interwebs Mayen is turning 22 this summer so he is on the older end of his class.  I doubt he wants to come back for another year.  Just a hunch.

I should probably clarify that just because someone doesn't make my list above doesn't mean they make the rotation.  I think Oleg knows he needs a couple years to adjust to B1G competition and will stick around regardless of whether or not he plays.  I could see Wilhelm not making the rotation either, but with Lat likely leaving regardless then he will find himself the heir apparent at the 4.

Edited by aphilso1