Who goes and who stays in 2022-23?

75unlgrad

My guess...

Gone for sure

• Webster and Lakes

Also leaving

• Lat - I believe his minutes will dwindle a bit with the influx of talent. Much like Jack McVeigh's junior season, before he headed back to Australia. 
  • Dalano - He is a 4th year sophomore and is turning 22 this year. If he has a great year, he's going pro. If he has a disappointing year, I think he'll move on. 
  • McPherson - I actually think he's a better ball player than Elijah Wood and Samari Curtis. But, there's only so many minutes to go around. And kids don't wait around for their turn anymore, especially guys who were already journeymen in high school like McPherson. 

I believe Derrick when he says he's staying two more years. He's had a rough 4 years of college basketball so far, and I'm sure he wants more. 

If Oleg does indeed redshirt, it'd make no sense for him to leave after next year. 

I'm going to assume Bryce isn't one and done, and Trey wants to play another year with him. 

That leaves us with 9 scholarship players. Then we add...

• Blaise Keita
  • Isaac Traudt (this isn't just wishful thinking anymore...)
  • Jasen Green
  • A guard (Ramel Lloyd?)

There's our 13 scholarship players for 2022-2023.  I agree the wildcard here is Eduardo. If his role is the same as it was last year, he may move on, especially with Keita coming in 2022. I am also hoping Keon is the real deal and gets enough minutes early on to keep him happy. He is another one of those modern day journeymen. 

6 minutes ago, millerhusker said:
  • Lat - I believe his minutes will dwindle a bit with the influx of talent. Much like Jack McVeigh's junior season, before he headed back to Australia. 

This is the first time I've seen Lat's and Jack's names juxtaposed, and now I can't believe that I've never seen them compared to each other.  Their skillsets and body types are so incredibly similar, and they're even both from Australia!  Am I the only one just now realizing that Lat = the second coming of Jack?

5 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

This is the first time I've seen Lat's and Jack's names juxtaposed, and now I can't believe that I've never seen them compared to each other.  Their skillsets and body types are so incredibly similar, and they're even both from Australia!  Am I the only one just now realizing that Lat = the second coming of Jack?

And hasn't Jack had a good career in pro ball in Australia?

Don't know how it'll all shake out, but I'll take having a lot of good players over having just a handful. We don't even know yet how good most of them are, but they appear to be improvements over what we've seen the past few years. If you keep adding good talent, you let the cream rise to the top and sort out the rest as you go along. I'm good with them adding another one with that other open spot, too.

On 5/4/2021 at 10:32 AM, aphilso1 said:

I think Lat’s a little better? I dunno could be wrong. 

16 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I think Lat’s a little better? I dunno could be wrong. 

15 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Longer, quicker, better shooter, but, aside from that ... it's like they're the same person.

Perhaps Lat will avoid the slump that Jack fell into in his third year.  But that's comparing a projection vs a known result.  Comparing the players' second D1 season, in which both were starters in nearly identical roles as a Stretch 4 for the Huskers, gives us the best apples-to-apples comparison.  And the stats in those seasons were:

MPG Pts FG% 2P% 3P% FT%
Jack 22.9 7.5 0.37 0.46 0.34 0.78
Lat 25.6 8.6 0.39 0.49 0.35

Pretty uncanny how similar their shooting numbers were.  And their measurables are within spitting distance (Jack listed at 6'8" 215 lbs; Lat at 6'9" 205).  And neither can laterally move their feet to defend, which is a major shortcoming for both.  And both are Australian.

Nope, clearly they're not filling the same role for us.  It's practically like comparing Manute Bol vs Muggsy Bogues.  Totally different players. 🙂

8 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Perhaps Lat will avoid the slump that Jack fell into in his third year.  But that's comparing a projection vs a known result.  Comparing the players' second D1 season, in which both were starters in nearly identical roles as a Stretch 4 for the Huskers, gives us the best apples-to-apples comparison.  And the stats in those seasons were:

MPG Pts FG% 2P% 3P% FT%

Pretty uncanny how similar their shooting numbers were.  And their measurables are within spitting distance (Jack listed at 6'8" 215 lbs; Lat at 6'9" 205).  And neither can laterally move their feet to defend, which is a major shortcoming for both.  And both are Australian.

Nope, clearly they're not filling the same role for us.  It's practically like comparing Manute Bol vs Muggsy Bogues.  Totally different players. 🙂

Their assist and steal numbers are nearly identical for the seasons you are comparing. But Lat doubles Jack up in rebounding.

I guess I was remembering Jack based on his last year here.

28 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

MPG Pts FG% 2P% 3P% FT%

Wow. That's kinda wild....

On 5/6/2021 at 8:50 AM, aphilso1 said:

MPG Pts FG% 2P% 3P% FT%

One had great-great-great-great-grandfathers whose cattle looked like this.

Sudan Nomads Return Cattle Rustled in South Sudan | Voice of America -  English

The other had great-great-great-great grandfathers whose cattle looked like this.

image.jpeg