Edwards replaces Thor/Allen

75unlgrad

One more reason for optimism with the addition of Keon Edwards.  I think Edwards fills the void left with the departure of Teddy Allen and Thorin.   Teddy and Thorin mostly played the small forward position.  Without them, we really didn't have anyone on our current roster that adequately filled this spot.  Now with Keon Edwards, I think (hope) we more than filled this spot -- we significantly upgraded this position.  I think he will prove to be a much better offensive threat than Thor and a much better defensive player than Teddy.  GBR!!!

44 minutes ago, 75unlgrad said:

One more reason for optimism with the addition of Keon Edwards.  I think Edwards fills the void left with the departure of Teddy Allen and Thorin.   Teddy and Thorin mostly played the small forward position.  Without them, we really didn't have anyone on our current roster that adequately filled this spot.  Now with Keon Edwards, I think (hope) we more than filled this spot -- we significantly upgraded this position.  I think he will prove to be a much better offensive threat than Thor and a much better defensive player than Teddy.  GBR!!!

I look at it as Bryce, CJ and Keon replacing Thor, Teddy and Shamiel. Small forward isn’t really a position in this system fwiw. We generally have two slots, two wings and a post on the floor. Ideally the slots and wings are all interchangeable. Thor and Teddy indeed played both in the slot and on the wing. I expect Keon to primarily be on the wing. But last year we often had Lat in the slot opposite the point guard as a “stretch 4” (same with Cross and Kavas the year before). Keon seems to give us more versatility than all of these players, since you can put him in the slot and either run your “stretch 4 pick n pop” type package, or your 4 guard package with him, depending on the other team’s personnel. I’m not sure Hoiberg has had a player this (potentially) versatile here. 

Edited by millerhusker

2 hours ago, millerhusker said:

I look at it as Bryce, CJ and Keon replacing Thor, Teddy and Shamiel. Small forward isn’t really a position in this system fwiw. We generally have two slots, two wings and a post on the floor. Ideally the slots and wings are all interchangeable. Thor and Teddy indeed played both in the slot and on the wing. I expect Keon to primarily be on the wing. But last year we often had Lat in the slot opposite the point guard as a “stretch 4” (same with Cross and Kavas the year before). Keon seems to give us more versatility than all of these players, since you can put him in the slot and either run your “stretch 4 pick n pop” type package, or your 4 guard package with him, depending on the other team’s personnel. I’m not sure Hoiberg has had a player this (potentially) versatile here. 

Great explanation.  I agree with what you said (even though it's several levels above my knowledge and understanding of the game).  I still think in the traditional mode of five specific roles to filled -- point guard, shooting guard, small forward, power forward, and center.

I think we are agreeing that Edwards should be an upgrade at a position that we lost two players -- Teddy and Thorin.  Again, great explanation.

2 hours ago, 75unlgrad said:

Great explanation.  I agree with what you said (even though it's several levels above my knowledge and understanding of the game).  I still think in the traditional mode of five specific roles to filled -- point guard, shooting guard, small forward, power forward, and center.

I think we are agreeing that Edwards should be an upgrade at a position that we lost two players -- Teddy and Thorin.  Again, great explanation.

Thorir.

23 hours ago, 75unlgrad said:

Thor"in" hasn't officially left the program yet.