OT: Baylor's Mulkey...

whoopdeedoo

just read on another board that she had given an interview to a person and was asked about the Louisiana opening. for whatever reason the quote from the interview wouldn't copy so i'll just paraphrase what she said. stated Louisiana is home and you always would like to go back to your roots. timing is everything. 

not my favorite coach, but, might be something to watch. the "drama queen"!😁

• 2 weeks later...

Her move makes sense for her really. She want's to go home. She's done all she can at Baylor coaching wise. 

LSU will probably be her last stop, and will eventually retire from basketball there.  10 more years roughly ?

Would be interesting to know how her move came about. What happened to get her to consider LSU. They contacted her? 

Or could she have put feelers out to contacts in the coaching world. 

How long will it take to put together a contending team?

It also makes sense because she likes attention and Texas now has a great coach in her back yard, and Baylor men won  a NC so it isn't all about her anymore.  -- She can flat coach with the best, but make no mistake two reasons I listed played into her decision.

I will be curious who they hire.  Guessing Jeff Walz will get a call, or maybe Dawn Staley but not sure Baylor's ultra conservative roots would go that route.  Don't know if either would leave anyway.  Georgia or Az coaches may be possibilities also.

Edited by kansashusker

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/31270262/lsu-coach-nikki-fargas-negotiations-become-las-vegas-aces-president

hard to say "who contacted who" first but i'm pretty sure this set the wheels in motion...and, like stated before, Louisiana is home to Mulkey. just a guess, but, feeling Mulkey needed a new challenge before she hangs it up. no better place to do it then "home" i guess.

Found this to be extremely interesting, especially since I wondered during the season if she was just tired of it. Things she said and did that didn't really break character, but appeared extreme and perhaps exhibited lack of care/fear what Baylor admin might have to say about it.

Makes perfect sense.

9 hours ago, hoop_head said:

Found this to be extremely interesting, especially since I wondered during the season if she was just tired of it. Things she said and did that didn't really break character, but appeared extreme and perhaps exhibited lack of care/fear what Baylor admin might have to say about it.

Makes perfect sense.

not sure what you mean by "tired of it".....i think she's got plenty of fire in her belly.............be interesting to see how it shakes out in louisiana. gotta feeling she will be able to recruit just fine in that area.

She will win.  It didn’t take her long to make Baylor a National Power.  Maybe she was miffed at the attention the Baylor Men received winning this year.  Baylor is building a new arena which might have honored her at some point had she remained.  Vic Schaeffer’s job at Texas just became easier.

On 4/26/2021 at 5:39 PM, whoopdeedoo said:

not sure what you mean by "tired of it".....i think she's got plenty of fire in her belly.............be interesting to see how it shakes out in louisiana. gotta feeling she will be able to recruit just fine in that area.

Tired of it is not saying I think she's done. But that she may be tired of the constant media circus that jobs like Baylor/UCONN carry with it. Maybe Mulkey is the reason Baylor is Baylor, I don't know, but we're all going to find out.