NEXT SEASON.......

redsteve

GUARDS:

Thinking too far ahead probably, but what the hay......discussion

With Shelly now on board and the very good newbie guards coming.... plus the 6 or 7 on the roster already...we will be top heavy with guards. But they're some good ones. Will this allow more pressing on defense? Who of this group might help fill the 3 spot?  Anxious to see Weidner in the mix... and Moriarity for that matter. Both are excellent additions.

Really will have good guard (1-3 spots) group even if one or 2 still can't play from injuries....or transfers  Maybe the best group we've had for a while. Deep with some shooters it appears. Need more that can penetrate and score...need some with natural 15' and less range. We don't have many shooting the short jumpers. and importantly just like about every oyher team....need skilled ball handlers.

Looked at our last year team statistics and we matched up evenly at least, with other teams in most all categories. Scoring, free throws, rebounding, even defense against scoring, etc etc. 

On the other side....Not very many steals. And we we're not so good with turnovers in particular.  On paper anyway we gave away the ball way to much. Got to take care of the ball.

We had weak passes at times.... not very crisp passing the ball sometimes.  Turnovers can be a downer for a team trying to pull out a close win. Hopefully this will be a focus in practice this fall.

By the way....baseball....man what a job Bolt has done in one year !!!!

speaking of guards......................is anyone else a little surprised there hasn't been an announcement that Brown has received a scholarship? i really thought/think she deserves one. wouldn't Cain's spot go to Jaz now? so, wouldn't leave an open scholarship until someone leaves? maybe someone would have info on the schollies.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

• 2 weeks later...

coach williams was on sports nightly and interviewed by greg sharp...

started talking about how challenging the pass season was. constant covid testing, missing the fans in PBA and how difficult it was for the players who have gone through the fan experience at PBA and running out on to the floor to practically an empty arena. discussed what has gone on since the end of the season. players had a couple weeks off then returned and had individual workouts with the coaches and weight trainer. worked on individual improvement. i believe she said recruiting starts up in June? anyway, she said the whole staff is excited and really pumped to hit the recruiting road. she stated the new class will be on campus in june with jaz shelley coming in a little later (hopefully late june). she needs to finish up classwork at Oregon.

i thought greg might ask her about ruby porter and how she is coming along, but, was not brought up at all. 

jaz was really the only one that was mentioned by name. no discussion on anyone else or if any "surprises" coming---or, if someone might take a medical. pretty vanilla discussion really. 

17 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

coach williams was on sports nightly and interviewed by greg sharp...

started talking about how challenging the pass season was. constant covid testing, missing the fans in PBA and how difficult it was for the players who have gone through the fan experience at PBA and running out on to the floor to practically an empty arena. discussed what has gone on since the end of the season. players had a couple weeks off then returned and had individual workouts with the coaches and weight trainer. worked on individual improvement. i believe she said recruiting starts up in June? anyway, she said the whole staff is excited and really pumped to hit the recruiting road. she stated the new class will be on campus in june with jaz shelley coming in a little later (hopefully late june). she needs to finish up classwork at Oregon.

i thought greg might ask her about ruby porter and how she is coming along, but, was not brought up at all. 

jaz was really the only one that was mentioned by name. no discussion on anyone else or if any "surprises" coming---or, if someone might take a medical. pretty vanilla discussion really. 

Well, I wasn't aware of that interview.  Sounds like I didn't miss too much though.  Looks like you gave a good synopsis above so thanks for that.  Good to hear that they are excited about hitting the recruiting trail.

Edited by mwm89

5 hours ago, mwm89 said:

Well, I wasn't aware of that interview.  Sounds like I didn't miss too much though.  Looks like you gave a good synopsis above so thanks for that.  Good to hear that they are excited about hitting the recruiting trail.

just happened to stumble upon sports nightly on twitter and listed their schedule for the evening. caught it too late to post. have to say, if one missed it....one didn't miss much. just not all that interesting. chances are it will be pretty quiet now until fall.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, All About the Corn said:

So Love has been promoted to Assoc. Head Coach. I wonder is he was looking to go elsewhere and Amy got more money and a new title for him to stay? I am not sure how I feel about it. I have spoke on change being a good thing sometimes. Maybe he is one that should stay? 

imo, would hate to lose him. he was one of four finalists to replace Walseth at NDSU. 

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like they will all give it a go thru summer conditioning and limited practices.  There could be one or two that end up taking a medical hardship if they can't feel they can regain their old playing form similar to Taylor Kissinger.  Still be on a scholarship but it doesn't count against the team.  Should be a lot of good competition for playing time.

1 hour ago, 12dozen said:

Maybe Amy can follow Hoiberg's lead, and hire a Director of Recruiting.  Wouldn't hurt having another basketball mind keeping track of the Transfer Portal, and 

possibly assisting with advance scouting and game prep.

Yeah, I don't see how that would be a bad thing.  Of course, would budget allow, etc.

I really do not care for this free year the NCAA has given athletes. So now we have all the student athletes holding onto an extra year. At some point some class is going to get screwed over by all of this. So really we should have 5 Fr, 3 So, 5 Jr, 2 Sr, and 1 GS. I understand the why the NCAA did it but if it stays as listed then what will happen to our 2022 recruits? 

5 hours ago, 12dozen said:

Maybe Amy can follow Hoiberg's lead, and hire a Director of Recruiting.  Wouldn't hurt having another basketball mind keeping track of the Transfer Portal, and 

possibly assisting with advance scouting and game prep.

Does anyone else believe there may be some peripheral benefits to the WBB program by Fred Hoiberg hiring Shannan Lum, because of her prior tenure with prominent WBB programs?

it's not just the 2022 recruiting class that gets disadvantaged by the extra year option.   With last year's seniors being next year's seniors (same for all classes) it's going be more difficult for 2021 freshmen to compete for playing time. There are more older and more experienced players ahead of them than was true of any other class.  The reality is that for the next four years there will be the same amount of playing time available as there always was, but more players competing for that time.  Thus fewer minutes per player.  The advantage of the way it was decided is that, absent the no count year, all of the adverse effect of games lost to covid would have been absorbed by one class (last year's seniors) whereas now the adverse effect is spread over several classes.  Seems fairer to me

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31515016/mess

Auriema comments on transfer portal...

"There's something wrong with the recruiting system, there's something wrong with the culture of college basketball today, there's something wrong with the entitlement that happens to exist today," he said.

"And there's something wrong with this idea of, you know, student-athlete welfare, that everything should be done to accommodate the student-athlete, with no regard whatsoever to the coaches who work their ass off, to recruit these kids in the first place, work with them, help them get better, make them the player that they are. And then they up and leave with no consequences whatsoever."

"If we, as coaches, just call a kid in and say, 'Look, you know, I thought you'd be a lot better than this. So I'm taking away your scholarship,' we will get crucified," he said. "But yet a kid can just up and leave for no reason whatsoever. Other than, 'I just don't want to be here anymore. I don't like it here anymore.' OK. So, yeah, there's a time when it's absolutely positively appropriate for a kid to have to make a change. Believe me, I've been on both sides of where kids have left here. And where kids have come in. I've been on both sides.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

I agree with him that this will get worse and the NCAA just added to the problem with the extra/free year. Where I do not agree is it is not always the SA that is behind looking elsewhere. Sometimes it is best for both parties or being told one thing by a coach and then finding out differently once they get on campus. Geno kind of points to it mostly on the SA. I could see some of our players leave to find more playing time elsewhere. We could end of loosing some good players. Hope not. Need to revisit this in 3-4 years. 

Just my view of course, and Geno's opinion is that of a coach...

...but the transfer thing is getting crazy. And yes it does really mess with a school and all the time, money, and work (effort) spent recruiting a player. The whole thing is kind of a one way street, the player gets to do their own thing with little regard for loyalty or honoring the commitment they made for getting a paid (free) education, usually because they aren't a starter (sound familiar)...or don't get what they want.

It's all about me... is the current vibe these days.....so be it I guess, like lots of things, not just college athletics.   I'm just to old school I guess.

Edited by redsteve