Keon Edwards is N

hhcmatt

36 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

By my count, if Shamiel leaves as expected, the latest roster, counting walk-ons, has at least 15 or 16 players. This seems a bit unwieldy even for spirited practices. I would not think we need any more roster spots filled for next year unless there are more late jumps into the portal anticipated (Banton?).

Stranger things have happened (AWIII, for example), but it seems that the number of new entries into the portal is slowing down this week.  Kids don't want to enter the portal after half the schools have already filled their allotted scholarships.  Now as for players deciding to turn pro, I'm not sure what a reasonable timeline is for that.  So if Banton would want to test the waters of the G League or Euroball, then perhaps he could still wave goodbye to us.

5 hours ago, jimmykc said:

By my count, if Shamiel leaves as expected, the latest roster, counting walk-ons, has at least 15 or 16 players. This seems a bit unwieldy even for spirited practices. I would not think we need any more roster spots filled for next year unless there are more late jumps into the portal anticipated (Banton?).

I would say 15 or 16 players on a roster is fairly normal and you definitely can use them.   You need 5-7 guys for a scout squad and basketball always has it's fair share of rolled ankles and bad knees.   Plus it's during flu season so sometimes guys are out for 3 or 4 days.   

Edited by REDitus

19 hours ago, REDitus said:

I would say 15 or 16 players on a roster is fairly normal and you definitely can use them.   You need 5-7 guys for a scout squad and basketball always has it's fair share of rolled ankles and bad knees.   Plus it's during flu season so sometimes guys are out for 3 or 4 days.   

Out of curiosity I counted all the players on our rosters from 2000-2020/21

Total number of players on the roster is the first number.   2nd number is the number of rosters of that roster size.   I identified the year for the extreme cases.   So the first line is a 12 player roster and we only had 1 roster of that size.

12 -  1    (2006)

13 -  0 

14  -  2  

15  -  6

16  -  5

17  -  4

18 -   1    (2010)

19  -   1   (2007)

20  -  1   (2008)  

15 is probably the sweet spot because that's how many you can dress for a game.  If you have more than those guys are definitely in street clothes (redshirt status).  (13 scholarships & rest walkon's)

I know one year under Doc there were guys that were filling out the practice squad that weren't on the roster.  That probably was 2006 & Doc's first year.  I also remember him commenting about the roster being a little too big which was probably when they had 20 in 2008.   It appears 15-17 players is the most common range.

Edited by REDitus

38 minutes ago, REDitus said:

Out of curiosity I counted all the players on our rosters from 2000-2020/21

Roster size -  Number of rosters with that number of players.  

12 -  1    (2006)

13 -  0 

14  -  2  

15  -  6

16  -  5

17  -  4

18 -   1    (2010)

19  -   1   (2007)

20  -  1   (2008)  

It took me an embarrassing amount of time to figure out how to read your chart and what you were saying. 4/20 I guess. 

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

It took me an embarrassing amount of time to figure out how to read your chart and what you were saying. 4/20 I guess. 

My fault.  I am not a good communicator.   I went back and put more detail in explaining each column. 

8 hours ago, Go Big Fred said:

No I just like Thor and want him back, not an either or situation

There will be several new players who need to learn Fred's system.  Maybe the new players will be better than Thor after they learn the system, but who better to teach them.  Coaches can say, "Watch Thor, and learn".  He can be a players coach.

11 minutes ago, PointGuard said:

There will be several new players who need to learn Fred's system.  Maybe the new players will be better than Thor after they learn the system, but who better to teach them.  Coaches can say, "Watch Thor, and learn".  He can be a players coach.

This. I actually think the coaches will continue to do this long after Thor is gone, by showing players his film. Jay Wright constantly tells his guards and wings to "Be Josh Hart" and makes them watch his film. Imagine if we can get a super-talented kid like Bryce to play as smart and selfless and relentlessly move without the ball like Thor. 

12 hours ago, huskerbill85 said:

So those who down voted me youd rather have Thor than a top 30 recruit? Bullshit.

Your comment came off as snarky, and downgrading to Thor and Stevenson.  Maybe let's not try to trash kids who gave everything to the program?  Have not seen one person who said they'd want Thor over Keon.  You probably won't find one.  However, I do know a lot of people appreciate what Thor gave to the program. 

Thor was this teams version of Benny Parker, a young Brandon Ubel, a young Tai Webster, etc.  A player who always played hard, did the right things, gave his all, and was always the one getting thrown under the "he needs to move on" bus.  So-- no, I'm going to guess the down votes are not because people would rather have Thor over Keon.  

Edited by hskr4life

33 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

So---are we basing our expectation of Shamiel leaving on the conjecture on this and other similar, but clearly more deficient, basketball boards?  He would have to either drop down a division or two, sit out yet another year or go pro.  Right?  

He's been in school for 4 years so in theory he would be a grad transfer in the near future.

SSI Evaluation

Prospect: SF Keon Edwards 
Projected Position: Small Forward
Vitals: 6-foot-7, 185 pounds 
School: Phoenix (Ariz.) Hillcrest Prep

Frame: Lean frame with room to add and develop muscle at the next level.

Athleticism: Edwards gets where he needs to on the court because of his quickness and agility. He’s not the player that’s going dunk over multiple defenders through contact, but he’s going to get to his spots and be efficient once there. 

Instincts: Edwards is a scorer and knows how and when to get his shot. He’s adept at creating space off the dribble and thrives as a catch-and-shoot marksman from NBA range. Edwards’ specialty is knocking down contested shots, which speaks to his elite level of concentration on the offensive end. 

Polish: Edwards doesn’t force plays and plays at his own pace. He has a high basketball IQ, which helps him to excel as a big-time shooter. He moves well without the ball and knows how to get open on the wing.

Bottom Line: Edwards’ ability to knock down shots from all over the floor makes him a dangerous player on the court at all times. At DePaul, that’s what will keep him on the floor and give him the best chance to excel going forward.

17 minutes ago, Vinny said:

So what you’re saying, just to be very clear, is that our class is very highly ranked, but that ranking doesn’t include two high-quality 4 star players. 

That’s neat-o!

That's the most exciting part.  Even without CJ and Keon factored in the ranking for our '21 class is pretty damn good.