Keon Edwards is N

hhcmatt

Fred. Is. That. Dude.

This kid can play the 1-3 IMO and will end up being a very valuable defender.  

I’m caring less about the true PG thing with every 6’7” SG who signs up.  Good grief we’re going to be better and basically every kid we’ve signed can shoot AND initiate the offense.  

Edited by LK1

7 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

TGF entered the transfer portal March 29th. Edwards on March 30th. We had to be recruiting both heavily among others.

‘Agreed but do you think they would have taken both? I guess they would but seems they went hard at Keon after TGF went south. Good problem to have. 2-4 guys are already probably going to get a lot less minutes than they think but competition is a great thing.

7 hours ago, REDZONEDAN said:

Was this the last scholarship or do we still have one available?

Officially have 1, but I would be shocked if Stevenson came back after the addition of Edwards. This team is now 10-deep and is loaded with wings that all have skill sets that are better fits for Hoiberg’s system. So basically, I am operating under the assumption that Nebraska has 2 open spots.

2 hours ago, Nebrasketballer said:

Officially have 1, but I would be shocked if Stevenson came back after the addition of Edwards. This team is now 10-deep and is loaded with wings that all have skill sets that are better fits for Hoiberg’s system. So basically, I am operating under the assumption that Nebraska has 2 open spots.

I used to criticize miles for this, but honestly at this point I’d hold onto those schollies. Definitely don’t spend ‘em just to spend ‘em. 

8 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I used to criticize miles for this, but honestly at this point I’d hold onto those schollies. Definitely don’t spend ‘em just to spend ‘em. 

I agree. I’m ok with holding on to 2 open scholarships this season for multiple reasons. 1) Nebraska does still have Webster and Lakes on the roster, they just don’t count against the limit, so it’s not like they are short handed. 2) Nebraska has depth for a legit 10-man rotation of really high level players in 2021-2022. It’s one thing to leave a couple scholarships open, which makes you rely on sub-par players (like under Miles), it’s another thing to leave a couple of scholarships open when you already have such talented depth.

And with the recruiting momentum Hoiberg has right now, Nebraska will be able to use those two scholarships for the 2022 class, along with the 2 scholarships that will likely open up from Walker and Lat, so Nebraska will have 4 available scholarships to string together a second consecutive really solid recruiting class (I believe Trey will use the extra year of eligibility to play another season with Bryce).

11 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

‘Agreed but do you think they would have taken both? I guess they would but seems they went hard at Keon after TGF went south. Good problem to have. 2-4 guys are already probably going to get a lot less minutes than they think but competition is a great thing.

I do think we take both. 

Not trying to piss on anyone's Wheaties, but do we know why Keon didn't really play much for DePaul?  They were the cellar dweller of the Big Least.  If he's as good as advertised, why didn't he crack their rotation?

7 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Not trying to piss on anyone's Wheaties, but do we know why Keon didn't really play much for DePaul?  They were the cellar dweller of the Big Least.  If he's as good as advertised, why didn't he crack their rotation?

Short answer. Reclassified from 2021 to 2020 and enrolled in January. Kind of hard to hit the ground running when the season has already started and you are new to the program.

2 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

He’s a great player. I wouldn’t read too much into the DePaul stuff. He was a 2021 prospect, then reclassified to 2020 to join DePaul during winter break.

It’s not that realistic to expect a kid who was scheduled to still be in high school to join a Power6 conference team halfway through the season, especially during all of the COVID stuff, and especially when the program he joined was so disjointed that they had 9 games cancelled due to COVID to instantly become a big contributor on the court.

From Robin Washut:

“The Pasadena, Texas native was originally a 2021 recruit who reclassified up to 2020 and enrolled at DePaul in December.”

“After playing his junior year at Hillcrest (Ariz.) Prep, Edwards was rated the No. 22 overall player in the 2021 class before reclassing up to ‘20.”

https://nebraska.n.rivals.com/news/husker-hoops-land-depaul-transfer-wing-keon-edwards

Edited by Nebrasketballer

2 hours ago, Nebrasketballer said:

He’s a great player. I wouldn’t read too much into the DePaul stuff. He was a 2021 prospect, then reclassified to 2020 to join DePaul during winter break.

It’s not that realistic to expect a kid who was scheduled to still be in high school to join a Power6 conference team halfway through the season, especially during all of the COVID stuff, and especially when the program he joined was so disjointed that they had 9 games cancelled due to COVID to instantly become a big contributor on the court.

From Robin Washut:

“The Pasadena, Texas native was originally a 2021 recruit who reclassified up to 2020 and enrolled at DePaul in December.”

“After playing his junior year at Hillcrest (Ariz.) Prep, Edwards was rated the No. 22 overall player in the 2021 class before reclassing up to ‘20.”

https://nebraska.n.rivals.com/news/husker-hoops-land-depaul-transfer-wing-keon-edwards

For reference, Bryce McGowens is currently ranked the #19 overall prospect in the 2021 class.

Edited by Nebrasketballer

16 hours ago, hugh42 said:

Short answer. Reclassified from 2021 to 2020 and enrolled in January. Kind of hard to hit the ground running when the season has already started and you are new to the program.

It’s crazy to imagine a 17 year kid being in high school one week, then being thrown into the middle of a college basketball season the next week. DePaul was not a good team, but they apparently had an established group of experienced players who had been training/practicing/playing together for the past 1+ years.

By my count, if Shamiel leaves as expected, the latest roster, counting walk-ons, has at least 15 or 16 players. This seems a bit unwieldy even for spirited practices. I would not think we need any more roster spots filled for next year unless there are more late jumps into the portal anticipated (Banton?).