Keon Edwards is N

Well, he skipped out on part of his senior year of high school to join DePaul after everyone else on that team had been practicing for a few months. He would have been way behind. He will be joining us late spring and have a chance to fully acclimate. 

Did he do that because he knew he got basically a free year?

Seems like a weird thing to do joining mid year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

What does having a 6'7 wing with decent handles, reasonable athleticism, and pretty good shooting touch do for this offense?

Just adding anyone with shooting  touch would have helped immensely last year.  We are adding so many potentially good shooters you would hope at least a couple will pan out immediately.

Edited by busticket

Just now, basketballjones said:

I hope the ball goes in the hoop more!

He appears to be a guy who has the handles and quicks to beat his defender off the bounce, get to the rim and finish. He also appears to be a guy -- not that it's encouraged in the Hoiberg offense -- who could likewise pull up from mid-range and shoot off the dribble. And it's possible he has decent 3-point range. Good enough that an opposing defense would have to account for him.

Seems like his mere presence on the floor creates some matchup problems.

At 6'7, I think he's clearly going to have a quickness advantage over most other guys his stature. And if you choose a quicker, smaller guard to defend him, his length becomes an advantage.

Will his skills get him on the floor? Assuming his shooting is there, will he be able to defend well enough to command minutes? I have no idea. I hope so. But it seems like a 6'7 wing who can get his own shot and can score efficiently is a tremendous advantage over those teams who have a 3rd backcourt player who isn't a scoring threat at all. (See last year's Huskers, for instance.)

5 hours ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

Yes there was several kids that took advantage of it this year. Gonzaga had a kid Ben Gregg that did it and Carter Whitt the PG we wanted did it at Wake. We had a girl do it for the Husker team as well in Kendall Colley. 

9 hours ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

Do we know if his high school was playing this season -- the coronavirus canceled a lot of games this year.  If his high school didn't have a season, I could see why he would re-classify and join Depaul at the semester.  I think this is why Witt considered joining us at the semester.

10 hours ago, 75unlgrad said:

Do we know if his high school was playing this season -- the coronavirus canceled a lot of games this year.  If his high school didn't have a season, I could see why he would re-classify and join Depaul at the semester.  I think this is why Witt considered joining us at the semester.

It was directly related to the uncertainty of the high school season plus the NCAA adding an extra year that meant him joining early wouldn't just burn a year.

20 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

He appears to be a guy who has the handles and quicks to beat his defender off the bounce, get to the rim and finish. He also appears to be a guy -- not that it's encouraged in the Hoiberg offense -- who could likewise pull up from mid-range and shoot off the dribble. And it's possible he has decent 3-point range. Good enough that an opposing defense would have to account for him.

Seems like his mere presence on the floor creates some matchup problems.

At 6'7, I think he's clearly going to have a quickness advantage over most other guys his stature. And if you choose a quicker, smaller guard to defend him, his length becomes an advantage.

Will his skills get him on the floor? Assuming his shooting is there, will he be able to defend well enough to command minutes? I have no idea. I hope so. But it seems like a 6'7 wing who can get his own shot and can score efficiently is a tremendous advantage over those teams who have a 3rd backcourt player who isn't a scoring threat at all. (See last year's Huskers, for instance.)

I really like the idea of having two 6'6"-6'7" versatile wings in Edwards and McGowens, moving forward. 

32 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I really like the idea of having two 6'6"-6'7" versatile wings in Edwards and McGowens, moving forward. 

The mind just boggles when you think about it. The combinations are practically limitless.

I mean, you could practically throw out any 5 guys on the roster and make an argument for it.

21 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

But it seems like a 6'7 wing who can get his own shot and can score efficiently is a tremendous advantage over those teams who have a 3rd backcourt player who isn't a scoring threat at all. (See last year's Huskers, for instance.)

Dalano, Trey, and Teddy were getting starter minutes in the backcourt for the majority of the season.  All three are scoring threats IMO, although Banton was atrocious from deep which allowed defenses to sag.  Or were you referring to the end of the season when Dalano's minutes were cut and Teddy left?

4 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Dalano, Trey, and Teddy were getting starter minutes in the backcourt for the majority of the season.  All three are scoring threats IMO, although Banton was atrocious from deep which allowed defenses to sag.  Or were you referring to the end of the season when Dalano's minutes were cut and Teddy left?

Perhaps it could be shooting threat?  We never had a third guard on the roster last season who was a threat from deep.  It was supposed to be Thor, but that didn't work out well until the end of the season.  

I liked Norm's point about rolling whoever out there, though.  There's a lot to be said about a lineup of guards consisting of any of Bryce, Keisei, CJ, Keon, Trey, and Kobe.  I don't know if Keon is an efficient shooter from deep.  He went 1-3 last season and made both of his free throws.  CJ went 10-29 which is probably a good indicator of being a reliable enough 3pt threat.  Trey is still our best 3pt shooter until he's ousted by one of the youngsters.  He's not very appreciated in that department because he's such a great athlete.  

Unless Dalano gets way better from 3, I would prefer him as a changeup at the 1 and the 5.  It's weird to say because he's so talented, but I don't think he's more valuable than anyone else we have slotted to start at the 1-5.  But he could give us some very interesting mismatches if we use him more like we used Roby with the old death squad lineup.  

From Hoiberg

“Keon was one of the top 50 players in this year’s class before he enrolled at DePaul, and that experience will help make a quicker adjustment than a typical freshman. His skillset blends well with our roster, as he is a three-level scorer who can create his own shot and moves well without the ball. We wanted to add more size, shooting and athleticism on the wing to our roster, and I think that is an area we have addressed.”

10 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Perhaps it could be shooting threat?  We never had a third guard on the roster last season who was a threat from deep.  It was supposed to be Thor, but that didn't work out well until the end of the season.  

I liked Norm's point about rolling whoever out there, though.  There's a lot to be said about a lineup of guards consisting of any of Bryce, Keisei, CJ, Keon, Trey, and Kobe.  I don't know if Keon is an efficient shooter from deep.  He went 1-3 last season and made both of his free throws.  CJ went 10-29 which is probably a good indicator of being a reliable enough 3pt threat.  Trey is still our best 3pt shooter until he's ousted by one of the youngsters.  He's not very appreciated in that department because he's such a great athlete.  

Unless Dalano gets way better from 3, I would prefer him as a changeup at the 1 and the 5.  It's weird to say because he's so talented, but I don't think he's more valuable than anyone else we have slotted to start at the 1-5.  But he could give us some very interesting mismatches if we use him more like we used Roby with the old death squad lineup.  

Agree with all of this, except I'd say Kobe is currently our best 3 point shooter. I expect Keisei, Bryce and CJ to challenge him for that title. But we saw Kobe make 7 and 5 threes in back to back games. The most Trey ever made in a game was 3, and that was just on one occasion. Kobe also made more threes and shot a higher percentage than Trey (although it was close). 

44 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Agree with all of this, except I'd say Kobe is currently our best 3 point shooter. I expect Keisei, Bryce and CJ to challenge him for that title. But we saw Kobe make 7 and 5 threes in back to back games. The most Trey ever made in a game was 3, and that was just on one occasion. Kobe also made more threes and shot a higher percentage than Trey (although it was close). 

My mistake.

I expect Keisei to shoot a 40% next season and will have several games where he hits between 3-5.  I think his jumper translates to D1.  Really excited about what he brings.  

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

I was thinking of any time we had Dalano, Thor or Shamiel on the floor. And I was thinking, though I didn't make it clear, of perimeter threats.

Thor shot 6 for 11 beyond the arc in the last two games, which pushed his season average to almost 30% from deep, but prior to the last two games, he was under 25% from 3-point range.

Shamiel finished under 20% and Dalano was under 25% from deep on the season.

And, frankly, Kobe, outside of 3 games on the season where he got hot, was just a pedestrian 30% shooter from deep.

I don't think those are numbers we're going to see from 4 of our rotation players this coming season.

• hhcmatt pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

Then:

Jeff Borzello on Twitter: "DePaul transfer Keon Edwards has committed to Nebraska, per source. Former ESPN 100 recruit." / Twitter

Now:

Jeff Borzello on Twitter: "Texas A&M transfer Jaxson Robinson has committed to Arkansas. Former ESPN 100 prospect that reclassified from 2021 to 2020 and played one season for the Aggies. Good size, can really shoot it from the perimeter." / Twitter

Stats for the guy they got:

STATS
2020-21

GP MIN FG% 3P% FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
14 9.7 35.5 28.6 0.0 1.1 0.3 0.1 0.2 0.7 0.4 2.1

Stats for the guy we got:

STATS
2020-21

GP MIN FG% 3P% FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
5 7.8 33.3 33.3 100.0 0.8 0.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 0.2 1.8