Departures/Returnees/Arrivals

12 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Keita will be a sophomore eligibility-wise when he gets here. This year doesn’t count towards juco players eligibility, so he’ll be a freshman again next season at Coffeyville. Tominaga will be a sophomore this upcoming season, even though he’s played two years of juco ball. 

Wow, that’s nuts. So in 2022-2023, Nebraska’s sophomore class could be McGowens, Wilcher, Edwards, Breidenbach, Andre, and Keita (assuming Kojenets redshirts next season). 

31 minutes ago, Nebrasketballer said:

Wow, that’s nuts. So in 2022-2023, Nebraska’s sophomore class could be McGowens, Wilcher, Edwards, Breidenbach, Andre, and Keita (assuming Kojenets redshirts next season). 

That's crazy. FWIW, I think Keita has more potential than any other big on the roster, and I like his film better than any Husker big man recruit in the last 20 years (Vander Joaquim would've been #1 for me, but he obviously never made it to campus). Of course, we've been burned by juco film before, so I'll be taking a cautiously very optimistic approach with this one. 

Finally updated the scholarship matrix to account for guys getting another year of eligibility.

Does this look right?

The most striking thing is that we were loaded up on offers for 2022-2023 but now we're full.

I also wonder if Lat comes back for that 5th year.

2021-2022 2022-2023 2023-2024 2024-2025 2025-2026  

13 Stephenson, Shamiel Stephenson, Shamiel Banton, Dalano Andre, Eduardo ** OPEN ** 1
S Walker, Derrick Walker, Derrick Tominaga, Keisei Wilcher, CJ ** OPEN ** 2
C Mayen, Lat Mayen, Lat Andre, Eduardo Breidenbach, Wilhelm ** OPEN ** 3
H McGowens, Trey McGowens, Trey Wilcher, CJ McGowens, Bryce ** OPEN ** 4
O Banton, Dalano Banton, Dalano Kojenets, Oleg VC-Keita, Blaise ** OPEN ** 5
L Tominaga, Keisei Tominaga, Keisei Breidenbach, Wilhelm Kojenets, Oleg ** OPEN ** 6
A Wilcher, CJ Andre, Eduardo McGowens, Bryce Edwards, Keon ** OPEN ** 7
R Edwards, Keon Wilcher, CJ VC-Keita, Blaise ** OPEN ** ** OPEN ** 8
S Andre, Eduardo Breidenbach, Wilhelm Edwards, Keon ** OPEN ** ** OPEN ** 9
H Breidenbach, Wilhelm McGowens, Bryce ** OPEN ** ** OPEN ** ** OPEN ** 10
I McGowens, Bryce Kojenets, Oleg ** OPEN ** ** OPEN ** ** OPEN ** 11
P Kojenets, Oleg VC-Keita, Blaise ** OPEN ** ** OPEN ** ** OPEN ** 12
S ** OPEN ** Edwards, Keon ** OPEN ** ** OPEN ** ** OPEN ** 13
  * Webster, Kobe         +
W   * Lakes, Trevor         +
A  O            
L  N Piatkowski, Jace Piatkowski, Jace Piatkowski, Jace Piatkowski, Jace    
K     Jackson, Cronin Jackson, Cronin Jackson, Cronin Jackson, Cronin    
K McGraw, Chris McGraw, Chris McGraw, Chris      
E SENIOR JUNIOR SOPHOMORE FRESHMAN RED-SHIRT  
Y RS = Redshirt * Doesn't count towards limit Last Updated 4/19/2021  

53 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Finally updated the scholarship matrix to account for guys getting another year of eligibility.

Does this look right?

The most striking thing is that we were loaded up on offers for 2022-2023 but now we're full.

13 Stephenson, Shamiel Stephenson, Shamiel Banton, Dalano Andre, Eduardo ** OPEN ** 1
L Tominaga, Keisei Tominaga, Keisei Breidenbach, Wilhelm Kojenets, Oleg ** OPEN ** 6
A  O            

So Walker can play 2 more years yet??  That seems odd since we honored him during senior night this last year....

55 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Does this look right?

A  O            

I don't think it's been determined yet whether, in coming years, seniors who return for their extra year will count against the scholarship total.  Shamiel, Lat, and Derrick would all be in their sixth year of college, and Derrick would be in his seventh year out of high school since he had a prep school year.

13 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

So Walker can play 2 more years yet??  That seems odd since we honored him during senior night this last year....

They honored him because he graduated.

He's played 2, redshirted, played one.  He has in theory his 4th year + the extra year.

2 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Woah. Go on please... Curious to hear exactly why and what you're seeing. 

Sort of by default. To be fair, I don't remember ever seeing film of Aleks Maric or Jorge Brian Diaz before they came to Nebraska. 

But, Jordy, Jacob Hammond, Chris Balham, Andre Almeida... there aren't too many other true bigs that we've signed. None of their film stands out in my mind. I remember thinking Jordy lacked footwork and coordination and played well below the rim. 

I was very excited about Vander Joaquim and Toni Soda, but neither of them made it to campus. 

Keita is 6'11" and looks to have a soft touch. His footwork is advanced and he has great balance for his size (I believe this was Yvan's biggest issue). He finishes with both hands around the basket and has a pretty sweet stroke stepping out to 17 feet. I probably need to pump the breaks on him, but I really don't think we've had a big man recruit like this since Kimani Ffriend or Venson Hamilton. Not saying he will be conference player of the year like Venson, or even close to it, but he does look like a very quality post player. 

4 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Sort of by default. To be fair, I don't remember ever seeing film of Aleks Maric or Jorge Brian Diaz before they came to Nebraska. 

But, Jordy, Jacob Hammond, Chris Balham, Andre Almeida... there aren't too many other true bigs that we've signed. None of their film stands out in my mind. I remember thinking Jordy lacked footwork and coordination and played well below the rim. 

I was very excited about Vander Joaquim and Toni Soda, but neither of them made it to campus. 

Keita is 6'11" and looks to have a soft touch. His footwork is advanced and he has great balance for his size (I believe this was Yvan's biggest issue). He finishes with both hands around the basket and has a pretty sweet stroke stepping out to 17 feet. I probably need to pump the breaks on him, but I really don't think we've had a big man recruit like this since Kimani Ffriend or Venson Hamilton. Not saying he will be conference player of the year like Venson, or even close to it, but he does look like a very quality post player. 

I guess I'm super jaded with our big men. At this point, all I can see when I watch their film is why they'll never pan out. Need to start focusing on the positives you mentioned, because I do believe you are accurate. 

3 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Woah. Go on please... Curious to hear exactly why and what you're seeing. 

1. He's quick. Part of being quick for a big man is being decisive. Knowing the move and counter move by feel so you can execute the counter immediately when you get stopped on the main move. Look at the reverse at :22 and the up-and-under at :30, for example.

2. He appears to have really good shooting touch.

3. He can score facing up or posting up.

4. He has solid footwork down to execute several post moves/counters.

5. The combination of the above (shooting ability, quickness, footwork) will allow him to beat a lot of opposing bigs in straight man. He might very well force double-teams (how long has it been since we've had that?). If he's a good passer out of the post, and we've got shooters who can fill it up, it'll be a deadly combination.

Latest scholarship chart

https://huskerhoopscentral.com/scholarship-matrix/

At the moment we have 1 for 2021 and none for 2022.  I was sort of put out for a moment given how many offers we had put out to build our 2022-23 class until I remembered that a lot of those guys will transfer and we play the long game.

image.png

ATM we have one available for a 

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

yes

image.png

Sometimes I wonder if Donovan Williams regrets his decision to decommit from Nebraska.  If indeed his concern was as documented (lack of recruiting young HS players/emphasis on recruiting JUCOs and older transfers with baggage) then he has to be shaking his had at our current roster makeup.  He would be one of EIGHT players either on the roster or committed with four years of remaining eligibility.