Husker women's hoops dip into transfer pool to add Jaz Shelley, a transfer from Oregon

Redhac

Per Lincoln Journal Star.  "Husker women's hoops dip into transfer pool to add Jaz Shelley, a transfer from Oregon by Brent Wagner

•  
    •  Updated 
    •  

The Nebraska women’s basketball team will have another player from Australia on its roster for next season.

Oregon transfer Jaz Shelley announced her commitment to the Huskers on Tuesday evening via social media.

The 5-foot-9 guard from Moe, Australia, played in 22 of 24 games this season for the Ducks’ NCAA Tournament team, including 11 starts. She averaged 4.0 points per game and had 42 assists.

She’ll join Australian players Isabelle Bourne and Ruby Porter with the Huskers.

As a freshman Shelley set a program-record with 10 three-pointers during a win against UC-Riverside. For her college career she’s shot 38% on threes (61-158)."

Shelley, who played her first two seasons at Oregon and started 12 games, announced on Twitter she was transferring to NU. Due to NCAA COVID allowances, Shelley will have three years of eligibility left.

We'll have a boat load of guards. We're going to have a full bench. Wonder if there will be a transfer(s) of our own ? Or injury issues?

Edited by redsteve

12 minutes ago, All About the Corn said:

Brady was the first thing I was thinking of. Maybe a medical or just a transfer for a fresh start. Admit the first time I saw Cayton I was thinking she moves a little different. Maybe as a result of the surgeries? That would be my top two guesses. 

agree with your comments on Cayton. i watched some video of her in hs compared to now and she just isn't the same at all. plus, i think it has influenced her shot all around. kinda hurts to watch her in a way. bless her though...she gives it her all. admire her for that. idk, just keep thinking brady might be gone. i still wonder if she had some other issues (past) creep up.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

from Oregonlive:

EUGENE — Former Oregon women’s basketball sharpshooter Jaz Shelley has landed in the Power 5.

Shelley, who entered the transfer portal last week, announced her commitment to Nebraska on Tuesday.

Her shooting percentages dropped this season compared to her freshman year, though many of her per game averages were similar.

Shelley averaged 4.0 points, 1.9 assists and 1.7 rebounds in 17.6 minutes over 22 games with 11 starts this season, playing more as a point guard than as a spot shooter on the wing and was clearly not as comfortable in the role. She shot 35.4% from the floor, including 30.4% from three this season, down from 42.5% from the field and 42% from three while averaging 6.3 points and 1.5 assists in 33 games in 2019-20.

1 minute ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

I really do like watching Cayton. Her joy of being able to play and the hussle she can give after everything that has happened makes me smile!! I could careless if she scores another point but I think her defense helped a lot this year. 

no doubt she has pretty quick hands

It may be weird....but after watching some videos ...Ms Jaz kind of plays like Porter. Probably because both grew up in the Australian training camps.

Both seem to have a sense (IQ) for the game and are not afraid to play aggressively.  They've both had some very good experience before they got here.

Porter has had a good year. It took her few game to get used to the B1G pace and play, but she was an asset....and as a  freshman to boot

I would imagine Shelly will be ready to go.... from the get go.  So I'll just wait until she gets here and see her play in action.

We'll have a full roster next year.  Like mentioned earlier...wonder how a full house bench will play out. But still a young team, albeit decent experience. And the newbies coming in may be be nice surprises.

Edited by redsteve

18 hours ago, redsteve said:

It may be weird....but after watching some videos ...Ms Jaz kind of plays like Porter. Probably because both grew up in the Australian training camps.

Both seem to have a sense (IQ) for the game and are not afraid to play aggressively.  They've both had some very good experience before they got here.

Porter has had a good year. It took her few game to get used to the B1G pace and play, but she was an asset....and as a  freshman to boot

I would imagine Shelly will be ready to go.... from the get go.  So I'll just wait until she gets here and see her play in action.

We'll have a full roster next year.  Like mentioned sad earlier...wonder how a full house bench will play out. But still a young team, albeit decent experience. And the newbies coming in may be be nice surprises.

that was the first thing that entered my mind while watching videos...looks just like Ruby!

https://huskers.com/news/2021/4/16/womens-basketball-australian-shelley-transfers-to-nebraska.aspx

"We are extremely excited that Jaz is going to be part of our Husker family," Nebraska Coach Amy Williams said. "We got to know Jaz really well during her initial recruiting process before coming to the United States from Australia. We think she is a great fit for our program and we can't wait for her to get here and start growing with us."