Kurt Joseph added as Director of Men's Basketball Strength & Conditioning

hhcmatt

Nebraska men's basketball coach Fred Hoiberg announced Monday (April 12) the hiring of Kurt Joseph as Director of Men's Basketball Strength & Conditioning, replacing long time S&C coach Tim Wilson.

Joseph comes to Lincoln after spending the last two-plus seasons as an assistant strength coach with the Minnesota Timberwolves. In that role, he assisted with the development and implementation of the strength and conditioning program for the NBA franchise.

"We are pleased to add Kurt to our staff," Hoiberg said. "He comes highly recommended from the Timberwolves, and his experience in the NBA and in the G League will be an asset for our players to understand what it takes to compete at the highest level."  

Before joining the Timberwolves, Joseph was the Head Strength & Conditioning Coach of the Iowa Wolves, Minnesota's NBA G League affiliate. In that role, he developed and implemented strength & conditioning program. He also facilitated and served as aid during practice and assisted the athletic trainer with all post workout and postgame recovery intervention.  Joseph also worked as a weight room assistant with the New York Knicks, where his duties consisted of aiding in team practice, implementing the strength and conditioning program, implementing all prehab and corrective exercise protocols as directed. He also worked as a strength coach intern for the Brooklyn Nets in 2012.  

Wilson had been the strength coach for the last 10 years, starting at the end of the Doc Sadler era.

View full article

16 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I've seen this sentiment a couple of places. Explain, please.

It's complicated. Tim Wilson is a great human and absolutely knows his stuff, zero question. However, I still feel that S&C has yet to become a "strength" (pun intended) of our program, and he's been here 10 years. I don't even know if I mean that to be a critique of Wilson. Just think that we need a shake up and to go in a different direction. 

Also, due to how much time the S&C coaches spend around the players, what is asked of them, and how much influence they have - I think you want to find someone who's younger and can relate very well with the players. That is all I am going to say on that and I am not going to elaborate or argue with anyone. 

11 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

It's complicated. Tim Wilson is a great human and absolutely knows his stuff, zero question. However, I still feel that S&C has yet to become a "strength" (pun intended) of our program, and he's been here 10 years. I don't even know if I mean that to be a critique of Wilson. Just think that we need a shake up and to go in a different direction. 

Also, due to how much time the S&C coaches spend around the players, what is asked of them, and how much influence they have - I think you want to find someone who's younger and can relate very well with the players. That is all I am going to say on that and I am not going to elaborate or argue with anyone. 

But...but...but we have to argue it is a message board for God's sake. 🤨

43 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

But...but...but we have to argue it is a message board for God's sake. 🤨

No, I wasn't trying to start an argument...just genuinely curious.  I knew virtually nothing about coach Wilson, therefore no emotional investment in whether he stays or goes.

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

Wilson was a mixed bag in my opinion…our guys rarely look like the stronger team “off the bus” and the fact that we consistently lose the rebounding battle backs that up. I don’t see a lot of physical development from year to year.  On the other hand, when it comes to conditioning and avoiding injuries, I think we’ve been top-notch.    

Also, everyone wants to tiptoe around the obvious, but this move adds another highly-qualified Black coach in a visible role that does a lot of interacting with players. It sends a message to potential recruits that the program is inclusive, even in its leadership, and differentiates it from other unnamed programs that may struggle to sell that idea going forward.  In a sport where 75-80% of the top 100 players are Black, that could pay huge dividends.

• 3 months later...

Joseph was on the McGowens Brothers.

After listening to this, makes me understand the move a bit more.  I think either Joesph or Wilson would do a good job at the training portion of this job but if Briedenbach broke up with his girlfriend and was going to call up a coach about it, I could see that being Joseph, not Wilson.

21 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Joseph was on the McGowens Brothers.

After listening to this, makes me understand the move a bit more.  I think either Joesph or Wilson would do a good job at the training portion of this job but if Briedenbach broke up with his girlfriend and was going to call up a coach about it, I could see that being Joseph, not Wilson.

Briedenbach broke up with his girlfriend? He dump her or she dump him? Poor guy. #BeenThere