Nate Loenser added as an assistant

hhcmatt

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Would it be considered slamming the old staff, which had only been here two years, if we applaud this hire?

Actually, "trashing" them.  So be very, very careful.  

Edited by HB

Ok, then  we’ll go with the narrative that no changes are allowed until after 3 years have passed, and everyone needs to stay quiet in the meantime.   Go with that narrative.  But I’m glad Fred didn’t.  The ”all is well crowd” wanted to do nothing.  The head coach knew changes were in order.  

7 minutes ago, HB said:

The ”all is well crowd” wanted to do nothing.  The head coach knew changes were in order.  

I think all is well. I would have been fine if Fred didn't make any changes. Also think if you can add an NBA level coach to your bench, and still keep one of your most trusted basketball minds on your staff in some capacity - you take advantage. To your point, Fred is still at the stage where what ever he think is best, should be trusted and respected. 

I find Fred Hoiberg to be pretty candid when he's on his radio show. If he hasn't been asked about everyone's responsibilities by the time he starts a new show, someone hit him up. 

Otherwise

• Loenser is a development guy.  If you're going to add him, it only really makes sense as an assistant
  • Doc is getting paid 320k to be a special assistant. If this is a demotion, he's being well compensated for it for at least a year.

https://nebraska.n.rivals.com/news/new-assistant-nate-loenser-already-off-and-running-at-nu

“There is a certain level of continuity right now with the six or seven guys we have coming back… I think this group and the players I’ve met so far are excited to move forward, are excited to get better, and that’s exciting.”