Seasoned Freshmen

The freshman year is typically a year where you shake off some jitters as you adjust to the college game, and adjust to the college experience generally. Think about Glynn Watson, who was one of just a few guys in the last 10 seasons to sniff 40% from 3-point range but missed like his first 11 3-pointers in college.

I know this doesn't affect just us, but I'm liking the fact that we'll have at least a couple of guys who got that out of the way already but still count as freshman.

If we hope to make a jump in the standings or near .500, Bryce McGowens needs to step in day one and be a "difference maker." Breidenbach also needs to be more than just a guy off the bench. I like where Andre is headed, and I believe it's important to build the foundation of the program with High School talent. Especially if you're hoping to achieve long term sustained success. 

2 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

If we hope to make a jump in the standings or near .500, Bryce McGowens needs to step in day one and be a "difference maker." Breidenbach also needs to be more than just a guy off the bench. I like where Andre is headed, and I believe it's important to build the foundation of the program with High School talent. Especially if you're hoping to achieve long term sustained success. 

Here's what I think about Breidenbach. I don't know if he's good enough to leapfrog Lat Mayen out of the gate. But I believe he is good enough that Lat will have to bring his "A game" in order to start ahead of Wilhelm. And he'll have to continually improve in order to keep that lead. And, if he doesn't, I believe Wilhelm will be good enough to give him a good run for his money.

42 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I have wondered if Breidenbach has the lateral quickness to defend on the perimeter?   He will have the offensive chops, rebounding and passing skills to play a lot of minutes.  We shall see.

I'm more worried about him having the heft to body up against Trayce Jackson-Davis or other league PFs.

21 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Here's what I think about Breidenbach. I don't know if he's good enough to leapfrog Lat Mayen out of the gate. But I believe he is good enough that Lat will have to bring his "A game" in order to start ahead of Wilhelm. And he'll have to continually improve in order to keep that lead. And, if he doesn't, I believe Wilhelm will be good enough to give him a good run for his money.

Everything I have been told is that Breidenbach is expected to play Day 1.  Mayen is expected to start, but he will be pulled if the shots are not falling.  Both are expected to be stretch 4s so Bryce has room to make plays.  

I believe all these players will have 'freshman' eligibility status this coming season:

*EDUARDO ANDRE        6'10"    225 lbs.    Center  (3-star)

Wilhelm Breidenbach    6'10"    210 lbs.     Power forward  (4-star)

*KEON EDWARDS          6'7"     175 lbs.     Shooting guard/perimeter  (4-star) -- if we get him

Oleg Kojenets                 7'0"     220 lbs.     Center  (3-star)

Bryce McGowens           6'5"     200 lbs.     Shooting guard/perimeter  (5-star)

*C.J. WILCHER                6'4"     195 lbs.     Shooting guard/perimeter  (4-star)

* Players in 'ALL CAPITAL LETTERS' should have an extra year of eligibility if they want it.

We have a commit for 2022-23 from Blaise Keita that is a 6'10" center weighting 240 lbs.  He is considered one of the top juco centers.  (He was recruited by Baylor so that says something about his ability.)   When he comes in 2022-23, we could have 7 sophomores on our roster.

I doubt that we have ever had a better -- and deeper -- recruiting class.

It looks like Fred and Matt are putting a lot of talent together.  They could take us on a fun ride.  GBR!!!