Oleg Kojenets is N

hhcmatt

1581167859196-1024x683.jpg

Nebraska secured the commitment of 7'0" 215# Lithuanian class of 2021 center Oleg Kojenets.  Kojenets has played for the U16 Lithuania team, U18 Lithuanian club Zalgiris Kaunas, and recently his senior year in the US at prep school Western Reserve Academy in Ohio. Kojenets' father, also named Oleg, played college basketball for UNC-Wilmington and was a long time pro in Europe.

Back in 2019 during the FIBA u16 European Championships, he received this glowing review from Evan Daniels.

Between the U18 European Championships being canceled and Western Reserve's season being cut down due to Covid, there isn't a ton of film out there on Kojenets.  A reel put together from his time at Western Reserve shows some of that skill Daniels saw at the U16 games.

The addition of Kojenets seems like a logical move to out the depth chart at the center position with Yvan Ouedraogo transferring. At minimum he seems to fit the bill for someone with enough size to log minutes in the conference at the 5 should Derrick Walker or Eduardo Andre miss time due to injury or foul trouble.  With any luck, Nebraska just landed another Eduardo Andre-esque diamond in the rough.

Nebraska at this time has two remaining scholarships for 2021-2022.

View full article

Feels like a replacement for what we wanted from Yvan. Can give you minutes if depth due to foul trouble gets really bad but someone you are going to just hope learns and grows over a couple years before getting meaningful minutes.

I don’t know anything about him but 6’11 is at least a starting point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did I see right, he's only 215 lbs?  Hopefully while Andre and Walker continue to get the big minutes, "Nets" can hit Chipotle and the weight room for a year.

Anyone know if he can make free throws? 🤔

Looks like a great find, and a freshman to boot, hopefully he sticks around. Welcome to the Husker family "Nets"! 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Who is the gawky looking post player on the Creighton roster?  Oleg sort of has the same body type.  If Oleg has more patience than a typical millennial, then he may have a real opportunity to improve while at dear ol NU.

Edited by Huskerpapa

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

Who is the gawky looking post player on the Creighton roster?  Oleg sort of has the same body type.  If Oleg has more patience than a typical millennial, then he may have a real opportunity to improve while at dear ol NU.

i assume you mean Ryan Kalkbrenner (or something like that).  He is going to be a good one....very good hands for a 7 footer.  He was a top 100 kid from most recruiting services.  Oleg has a chance to be pretty good from the little bit I have seen....I am trusting Fred and company on this one.