2021 PG TyTy Washington -> Kentucky

3 hours ago, millerhusker said:

I think Washut said Illinois may be the favorite. Kansas folks are now optimistic he’ll end up in Lawrence. TyTy ain’t coming here, unfortunately. 

Good news:

Kansas just got a commitment from a 4* PG (Bobby Pettiford) who decommitted from Louisville, so that would mean TyTy would have competition for the starting spot at KU...

Bad news:

Folks are saying that Pettiford and TyTy are good friends from childhood and Pettiford is actively recruiting TyTy to join him in Lawrence

Other news:

Illinois has been going after him hard since the beginning, but he would likely be behind Curbelo in the rotation there...Kentucky has been making a late push since losing out on Sallis, but he would have to beat out Askew and Mintz for playing time so seems like a Hail Mary there although there has to be some appeal for playing for Cal at UK.

But the upshot of all this is, I have no doubt he is very much off the plate for us and has been probably since we "reached out" to him right after the decommited from Creighton.  Right now I'd probably put Kansas in the lead here.

• 2 weeks later...

The sad part is I don’t think McDermott is a racist at all.  He just made the mother of all slip ups in the day and age we are in.  

I am pretty sure he was trying to say “everyone needs to stay in the reservation” but that one didn’t age well either!

Regardless, the verbal gaffe has put a major hole in the side of their ship and they are taking on water.  Ty Ty likely would have been a day one starter like Bryce should be for us.  With the other kids leaving...they almost look like the position we were in at the start of last year.

3 hours ago, Nebrasketballer said:

Ex-Creighton Recruit Confirms He De-Committed Due to McDermott's 'Plantation' Comments

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2021/04/14/tyty-washington-creighton-mcdermott-plantation-comments

Ouch.

And apparently their 2nd best recruit -- Mike Miller's kid, Mason -- hasn't signed his LOI yet. Looks like they're getting nervous they're going to lose him as well. Although maybe his dad is looking at coaching gigs and Mason is just waiting to see if his dad goes anywhere.

1 hour ago, busticket said:

The sad part is I don’t think McDermott is a racist at all.  He just made the mother of all slip ups in the day and age we are in.  

I am pretty sure he was trying to say “everyone needs to stay in the reservation” but that one didn’t age well either!

Regardless, the verbal gaffe has put a major hole in the side of their ship and they are taking on water.  Ty Ty likely would have been a day one starter like Bryce should be for us.  With the other kids leaving...they almost look like the position we were in at the start of last year.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but the only thing we have to go on is what he actually said and what former players said about CU.  Two former very good players stated there is a racism problem at Creighton, which wouldn't surprise me in the least.  Other people have given their accounts of McDermott in a positive light.

So, again, maybe he isn't racist, but he said wtf he said to a room of young Black men.  One can be so ignorant that they come across as racist.  Either way, Ty Ty is smart not to risk playing for either an ignorant or, at worst (and I agree unlikely) racist coach.  

7 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

I still can’t believe they didn’t fire him over this. Creighton is in the most Politically correct town in all of Nebraska. Plus they are losing guys left n right it seems  

All of the Creighton fans I know think that he did no wrong and everything was overblown.  

Do I personally think he is a racist?  No I don’t.  Do I think he was an idiot for what he said?  Yes I do.

Do I think he should have been fired? Probably not at that time.  Do I think he should have received a longer suspension to make a point in today’s world?  Probably.

Am I enjoying the fallout from his idiotic comment?  Most definitely!

10 hours ago, atskooc said:

Scroll up. 

Asking more about the players that were on their roster last season and 2 assistant coaches departing. I know players probably aren't going to come right out and say "I'm ;

leaving because Coach so n so is racist" . 

47 minutes ago, roscoe said:

Asking more about the players that were on their roster last season and 2 assistant coaches departing. I know players probably aren't going to come right out and say "I'm ;

leaving because Coach so n so is racist" . 

I don't really think it's about players or coaches thinking he's racist per se as much as people being on some level of disappointed, disfranchised, and/or discouraged.  As much as I might enjoy seeing these guys being downtrodden and/or want to beat them, it's just depressing to have to hash through this stuff. Once again just feel bad for everyone with the exception of any boosters that might have threatened to stop funding them if Creighton fired McDermott. This is sort of a deal where you look at the body of work and you likely find that this was just a flub but people with money trying to sweep things under a rug isn't the fix; It very well might be contributing to why you have players and coaches leaving. 

To me Bishop transferring is pretty impactful because as much as Jays fans can rationalize that move is there any way a guy like that transfers out of Creighton in any other year?  In February of 2021 that was a guy who probably was going to graduate having only played for Creighton. 

If you're an assistant coach, your job security is relative to the security of the head coach and you have to question McD's job security these days. The HC is on rocky ground and there is a good chance you're going be bad.  Another coach calls you up about a job and it probably pays more than what you're making there.  Without even considering how you personally feel about what is going on, you're leaning out and no one is blaming you.

If you're the guys that still have eligibility and it's a 'should I go make money' or 'stay for one more year for the team' sort of a decision, the whole 'should i stay for the team' selling point no longer seems that attractive. Maybe it even seems downright depressing. Is the next year going to be filled with interviews asking how you feel about something your coach said 6 months ago? Without even considering how you personally feel about what is going on, you're leaning out and no one is blaming you.

Now, people could have connected any dots they wanted on Washington decommitting.  Doesn't want to play for McD any more. Had better offers after his play this last year. He didn't have to talk to anyone about what he's thinking.  He very much did.  In the recruiting game where a large portion of it is to reduce the number of reasons for guys not to pick you, at this point Creighton has a coach where the controversy surrounding him is a disqualifier.  How long until it's not? 

On 4/15/2021 at 9:43 AM, Norm Peterson said:

Ouch.

And apparently their 2nd best recruit -- Mike Miller's kid, Mason -- hasn't signed his LOI yet. Looks like they're getting nervous they're going to lose him as well. Although maybe his dad is looking at coaching gigs and Mason is just waiting to see if his dad goes anywhere.

Woah, I just checked this morning, and as of now, none of Creighton’s class of 2021 verbal commits have actually signed.

BE1CC7F6-47E3-4680-9CF1-C960DD940F5C.png

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Nebrasketballer said:

One-and-done projections continue for this kid as he vaults up the recruiting rankings. Creighton fans have to be sick that he decommitted.

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

One-and-done projections continue for this kid as he vaults up the recruiting rankings. Creighton fans have to be sick that he decommitted.

Delete the first fifteen words and the last three words of this post, and you have yourself a correct psychological profile.