2021-2022 expectations

On 4/14/2021 at 9:19 AM, Art Vandalay said:

I agree It absolutely should be a game we can and should win if we are heading in the right direction. CU is in a whole rebuild situation.

The expectation should not only be to beat CU, but beat them badly....

At home. Rabid crowd. Wounded opponent. Motivation from getting kicked in the teeth last year. 

Anything less than a 15 point beatdown would be a disappointment IMO.

Expectation #1:

Nebraska has the talent for a Legit 10-man rotation next season. Not sure if it will shake out that way, but they have accumulated enough depth of talent for it.

Starters:

PG- Trey McGowens (6’4”)

Wing- Bryce McGowens (6’6”)

Wing- CJ Wilcher (6’5”)

Wing- Lat Mayen (6’9”)

Center- Derrick Walker (6’8”)

2nd String:

PG- Kobe Webster (6’0”)

Wing- Keon Edwards (6’7”)

Wing- Delano Banton (6’9”)

Wing- Wilhelm Breidenbach (6’9”)

Center- Eduardo Andre (6’10”)

Developmental Year / Strength and Conditioning / Adjusting to Big Ten level of basketball:

Keisei Tominaga (6’1”)

Oleg Kojenets (7’0”)

Expectation #2:

Nebraska will make the NCAA Tournament. The depth of talent on this team is at that level.

Expectation #3:

Nebraska will beat Creighton

Expectation #4:

Nebraska will win enough and will look exciting enough doing it, that they will be able to continue the current recruiting momentum in the following recruiting class(es).

When they were coming out of high school, Trey was listed by Rivals as a PG and the #83 player in the class of 2017.

Dalano Banton was listed as a SG and the #80 player in that same class.

While Kobe shot better to end the season, I'm not sure he has quite the firepower to stay ahead of Keisei. And Banton kicking to Keisei in the corner could result in a lot of treys.

I see that 2nd string looking more like Dalano (or Trey) at point with Keisei at the off-guard and probably Edwards at wing.

Still, a strong group of players. Two strong groups.

6 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

When they were coming out of high school, Trey was listed by Rivals as a PG and the #83 player in the class of 2017.

Dalano Banton was listed as a SG and the #80 player in that same class.

While Kobe shot better to end the season, I'm not sure he has quite the firepower to stay ahead of Keisei. And Banton kicking to Keisei in the corner could result in a lot of treys.

I see that 2nd string looking more like Dalano (or Trey) at point with Keisei at the off-guard and probably Edwards at wing.

Still, a strong group of players. Two strong groups.

I agree as to Keisei and Kobe competing for minutes. Guessing Kobe is the better ball handler and creating his own shot bit KT’s shooting seems elite

18 hours ago, Nebrasketballer said:

Expectation #1:

Nebraska has the talent for a Legit 10-man rotation next season. Not sure if it will shake out that way, but they have accumulated enough depth of talent for it.

Starters:

PG- Trey McGowens (6’4”)

Wing- Bryce McGowens (6’6”)

Wing- CJ Wilcher (6’5”)

Wing- Lat Mayen (6’9”)

Center- Derrick Walker (6’8”)

2nd String:

PG- Kobe Webster (6’0”)

Wing- Keon Edwards (6’7”)

Wing- Delano Banton (6’9”)

Wing- Wilhelm Breidenbach (6’9”)

Center- Eduardo Andre (6’10”)

Developmental Year / Strength and Conditioning / Adjusting to Big Ten level of basketball:

Keisei Tominaga (6’1”)

Oleg Kojenets (7’0”)

Expectation #2:

Nebraska will make the NCAA Tournament. The depth of talent on this team is at that level.

Expectation #3:

Nebraska will beat Creighton

Expectation #4:

Nebraska will win enough and will look exciting enough doing it, that they will be able to continue the current recruiting momentum in the following recruiting class(es).

Poor Trevor Lakes

4 hours ago, jayschool said:

We're saving Trevor for an end-of-game 3-pointer to win in Bloomington and/or West Lafayette, in front of his family.

You mean when we're up 85-60 and the end of the bench is in the game and there's still 30 seconds left in the game, but the shot clock is running out, so someone needs to shoot it? That kind of end-of-game 3-pointer? I'm down with that scenario.

5 hours ago, Donkey said:

Tominaga will be one of the first guys off the bench. His shooting will open up the offense. Tominaga isn’t coming to redshirt. 

I don’t see Kobe’s minutes going up. If anything, he may play less with the new talent coming in. 

If we're playing the same players essentially the same or similar minutes as they got last year, then we should expect the same or similar results. Y'know, that definition of insanity thing.

It's not that I don't like Kobe. I just hope that we've upgraded the talent enough that he only sees the floor in mop-up duty. Or in the event of foul trouble.

16 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

I agree as to Keisei and Kobe competing for minutes. Guessing Kobe is the better ball handler and creating his own shot bit KT’s shooting seems elite

We have Bryce for that "creating his own shot" role. We need some guys who are money from downtown. Keisei has a quick trigger and is uber accurate. I don't see Kobe's skillset filling a role that would be as useful to us as Keisei's skillset would be.

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

We have Bryce for that "creating his own shot" role. We need some guys who are money from downtown. Keisei has a quick trigger and is uber accurate. I don't see Kobe's skillset filling a role that would be as useful to us as Keisei's skillset would be.

I would agree if Kobe wasn't our best 3 point shooter last year, especially as he can play off ball more now I would be very surprised to see a dramatic reduction in his minutes

It's exciting to think about Nebraska's ability to get really athletic with some small ball lineups next season.

Something like:

1- Trey (6'4")

2- Bryce (6'6")

3- Wilcher (6'5")

4- Edwards (6'7")

5- Walker (6'8")

Or maybe:

1- Trey (6'4")

2- Bryce (6'6")

3- Wilcher (6'5")

4- Edwards (6'7")

5- Lat (6'9")

Or if Hoiberg really wants to push the pace with 5 capable ball handlers:

1- Trey (6'4")

2- Bryce (6'6")

3- Wilcher (6'5")

4- Edwards (6'7")

5- Banton (6'9")

49 minutes ago, Nebrasketballer said:

It's exciting to think about Nebraska's ability to get really athletic with some small ball lineups next season.

Something like:

1- Trey (6'4")

2- Bryce (6'6")

3- Wilcher (6'5")

4- Edwards (6'7")

5- Walker (6'8")

Or maybe:

1- Trey (6'4")

2- Bryce (6'6")

3- Wilcher (6'5")

4- Edwards (6'7")

5- Lat (6'9")

Or if Hoiberg really wants to push the pace with 5 capable ball handlers:

1- Trey (6'4")

2- Bryce (6'6")

3- Wilcher (6'5")

4- Edwards (6'7")

5- Banton (6'9")

If Keon is what he appears to be, I think that first lineup would be really hard to keep off the floor. 

26 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

If Keon is what he appears to be, I think that first lineup would be really hard to keep off the floor. 

Alright, I really like the potential of that lineup. Reminds me of the Clippers. 

Point guard (Pat Beverly/Trey McGowens) - Great perimeter defender. Will bring the ball up the court and initiate the offense, but the offense usually doesn't run through him. But, you can't just leave him open, because he shoots the three at a good clip. 

Two long, athletic, versatile shot creators who can play multiple positions and can score on all three levels (Kawhi Leonard and Paul George/Bryce McGowens and Keon Edwards).

Another wing (Nic Batum/CJ Wilcher) - Very good three point shooter who will stretch the floor and give more space for the creators to go to work. Is also a threat to get to the rim off the dribble if the defense closes out too hard on the kickout. 

Center (Ivica Zubac/Derrick Walker) - Enforcer type on defense, good pick n roll guy on offense. Team player. 

43 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Not seeing him as a 4 personally.  He was 185lbs last season.  I don't think he'll be more valuable than Lat or Wilhelm at the 4, but I do think he's gonna end up with serious minutes at the 2-3 as a reserve for both CJ and Bryce.  

1 hour ago, LK1 said:

Not seeing him as a 4 personally.  He was 185lbs last season.  I don't think he'll be more valuable than Lat or Wilhelm at the 4, but I do think he's gonna end up with serious minutes at the 2-3 as a reserve for both CJ and Bryce.  

Just curious what you think Lat is able to do that Edwards isn’t? Lat struggled to guard on the perimeter and in the post last year. Offensively, he was inconsistent shooting the ball and turnover prone whenever he attempted to dribble. 
Lat weighs 204 pounds and has a 6’11 wingspan. I’d be curious to know what Keon’s wingspan is. He looks long. 
I think Keon would be a great fit in a 4 guard lineup offensively. Defensively, we will need someone in the lineup to guard the opposing team’s 4-man, which nowadays is very rarely a 6’9” 245 lb power forward type. There are plenty of 4s around the country that have the same build as CJ Wilcher or Keon Edwards.

Edwards is 17 and hasn’t yet gone through an offseason of college strength and conditioning. He has the frame to add 10-20 pounds of muscle. Regardless, here are some players who started at the “4” in the big ten.

Jacob Grandison - 6’6”  205

Miller Kopp - 6’7”  215

Connor Mcaffrey - 6’5”  205

Seth Lundy - 6’6  210

13 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Just curious what you think Lat is able to do that Edwards isn’t? Lat struggled to guard on the perimeter and in the post last year. Offensively, he was inconsistent shooting the ball and turnover prone whenever he attempted to dribble. 
Lat weighs 204 pounds and has a 6’11 wingspan. I’d be curious to know what Keon’s wingspan is. He looks long. 
I think Keon would be a great fit in a 4 guard lineup offensively. Defensively, we will need someone in the lineup to guard the opposing team’s 4-man, which nowadays is very rarely a 6’9” 245 lb power forward type. There are plenty of 4s around the country that have the same build as CJ Wilcher or Keon Edwards.

Edwards is 17 and hasn’t yet gone through an offseason of college strength and conditioning. He has the frame to add 10-20 pounds of muscle. Regardless, here are some players who started at the “4” in the big ten.

Jacob Grandison - 6’6”  205

Miller Kopp - 6’7”  215

Connor Mcaffrey - 6’5”  205

Seth Lundy - 6’6  210

I agree with you 100%.

An example from just down the interstate:

Christian Bishop was 6’7” 180 lbs coming in as a freshman and he ended up playing not the 4 spot, but the Center position for a team that just made the Sweet16 and was likely to be a preseason all-BigEast player heading into next season, if he hadn’t transferred to Texas.

I think Edwards can absolutely play the 4 in Hoiberg’s offense. He has the skill set that he could move around between the 2, 3, and 4.

People asking lots of questions.

Who's going to play what position? Will the newcomers come in and command a bunch of minutes and starts? At whose expense will the newcomers gain minutes?

A window into answering some of those questions might come from looking at the 4 factors: Shooting; rebounding; turnovers; free throws.

We sucked last year because we were the worst rebounding team in the Big 10. We were second-to-last in free throw percent. And bottom five in shooting and turning the ball over. That's a recipe for futility.

Among the guys who need to make big strides in the off-season, Dalano Banton was the team leader in turnovers. He was also a marginal free throw shooter. And he was bad from beyond the arc, although this was somewhat mitigated by his ability to finish (he shot over 50% from 2-point range.)

Banton was also far and away our best rebounder, corralling nearly 40 more boards than 2nd place Lat Mayen. On a team with better shooters, his deficiency from downtown might be camouflaged. If you want to knock him out of the starting lineup and give his minutes to someone else, you mind explaining who will grab the boards for us?

Speaking of Lat, he wasn't terrible. Some people act like he was gawd-awful. He wasn't. In fact, I thought he looked better and more comfortable as the season progressed. He didn't turn the ball over a ton. He rebounded reasonably well for his position. He made the most 3-pointers of anyone on the team. And he was our #1 freethrow shooter at nearly 80%. If you want to play someone else at the stretch 4 position, you better show me someone who can hit better than 35% from deep and rebound the basketball.

I'm open to discussing freshmen coming in and starting. In fact, I think we'd be nuts not to start our first 5-star recruit ever. But everyone else is going to have to legit beat someone out. And that's actually a good thing. Position battles make the whole team better.