Jump to content

2021-2022 expectations


Recommended Posts

E_5VzNEVgBAgyFn?format=jpg&name=large

 

 

Weight/Height Changes from last year

 

Weight

Keon Edwards + 21 ~ 185*->206

CJ Wilcher +15 ~ 195**->210

Lat Mayen +11 ~ 205->216

Kobe Webster +6 ~ 172->178

Eduardo Andre +5 ~ 228->233

Chris McGraw +3 ~ 170->173

 

Jace Piaktowski -7 ~ 184->177

Alonzo Verge -7 ~ 170***->163 (slender man)

 

Height

Eduardo Andre +1 ~ 6'10"->6'11"

Derrick Walker +1 ~ 6'8"->6'9"

Trevor Lakes +1 ~ 6'7"->6'8"

 

*DePaul Weight

**Xavier Weight

*** ASU Weight

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

E_5VzNEVgBAgyFn?format=jpg&name=large

 

 

Weight/Height Changes from last year

 

Weight

Keon Edwards + 21 ~ 185*->206

CJ Wilcher +15 ~ 195**->210

Lat Mayen +11 ~ 205->216

Kobe Webster +6 ~ 172->178

Eduardo Andre +5 ~ 228->233

Chris McGraw +3 ~ 170->173

 

Jace Piaktowski -7 ~ 184->177

Alonzo Verge -7 ~ 170***->163 (slender man)

 

Height

Eduardo Andre +1 ~ 6'10"->6'11"

Derrick Walker +1 ~ 6'8"->6'9"

Trevor Lakes +1 ~ 6'7"->6'8"

 

*DePaul Weight

**Xavier Weight

*** ASU Weight

 

Edwards with the freshman 15 +6.  That seems like a lot but I'm sure he is in good shape and most of it should be muscle.  Could be a good sign for him competing for playing time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

 

Edwards with the freshman 15 +6.  That seems like a lot but I'm sure he is in good shape and most of it should be muscle.  Could be a good sign for him competing for playing time.

 

David Rivers at approximately the same height went from 175 to 191 so this seems about right. I would wonder how much of that weight he put on at DePaul and how much was here. If he was bulking up there it would also explain his lack of production there.  Would be a little surprised if he hit the ground running.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

 

right now, Verge at 6'3" weighs less than freshman year Glynn Watson


His game reminds me of Allen Iverson’s style, and it takes a ton of endurance to juke people out the entire game and have legs left for a midrange jumpshot.  Same exact weight as AI, even though AI was only 6’ which is insane.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

My expectations for this year -- I want to look out at the floor and see a bright future.   I expect Bryce to be good and maybe gone after one year.  I want to see players like C.J. Wilcher, Keon Edwards, William Breidenbach, Keise Tominaga, Eduardo Andre, and Oleg Kohonets (sp) and know we look 'real solid' for the next couple of years.  I expect this freshman class to be our 'nucleus.' 

I want to win this year and make the Tournament but i would accept a year in which we see continual progress with these young players.  There will be mistakes and 'bonehead' plays, but I expect to see a significant talent and skill level improvement that demonstrates we at heading towards the top of the conference.  GBR!!!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-rankings-preseason-countdown-of-every-team-continues-with-nos-200-69-for-2021-22-season/

 

Spoiler alert...Nebraska does not appear in this top 68.  He did place Nebraska at #99 (13th in the Big Ten).  Here is the quip:

 

99. Nebraska: The Cornhuskers have already seen 12 players who -- at some point in the past two years -- committed to play for Fred Hoiberg but then decided to transfer. The program needs a bit more stability, but I do like the potential of Alonzo Verge and Trey McGowens.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@throwback was posting links in the official media thread about the OWH breakdowns of our position groups.

 

I think the OWH dude was doing some good reporting. Depth of analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of our players was better than anyone I've seen outside of this board.

 

 

We're now less than 1 week out from the first exhibition and I've been very emphatic in my belief that our reserves are a significant upgrade over last year. But, I'm curious for y'all's views on our starting 5 this year compared to last year's.

 

At the peak of the season, when we had all hands on deck, the starters were Dalano, Trey, Teddy, Lat and Derrick.

 

The presumptive starters going into this season are Alonzo, Trey, Bryce, Lat and Derrick.

 

That's the apples-to-apples comparison, as far as I'm concerned.

 

How much does it matter that we have 3 returning starters? Just in terms of system familiarity? A little? A lot?

 

How much does it matter that each of the 3 returning starters has an added year of development? A little? A lot?

 

So, we're swapping a true-freshman 5-star for a troubled journeyman wing. But, like him or not, Teddy was putting up 16.5 points and almost 5 rebounds on nearly 45% from the field and almost 38% from three. What can Bryce give us that Teddy didn't? What did Teddy give us that Bryce likely won't? Anything? Is this a net gain for us this year? A push? How long will it take for Bryce to get up to speed before he produces enough to fill the gap for what we lose in Teddy?

 

Also, was Teddy a net positive or negative for the team last year? This is something we haven't really touched on, at least that I recall. But the coaches all seem to think we began playing our best basketball in the period of time, coincidentally, AFTER Teddy left the team. Is that true? If so, is it really a coincidence?

 

Finally, Banton (definitely an NBA player) vs. Verge (purportedly offered a 2-way contract): Is this a net loss for us? Net gain? Interestingly, about the same time Teddy quit the team, Dalano was demoted to the bench and Kobe Webster was promoted into the starting lineup. And this, again, is about when the coaches were saying we began to play our best basketball. So, there is some basis to infer that whatever we were getting out of Dalano that made him an NBA-caliber player (rebounding and passing for a guy his size?) was offset by something we were able to get with Kobe Webster.

 

But it's not Webster being mentioned as a potential starter this year, it's Verge. So, does THAT say anything very loudly?

 

Bottom line question: Will our starters this year be a substantial upgrade, moderate upgrade, slight upgrade, no upgrade/push, slight downgrade, etc. compared to last year's starters?

 

Thoughts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

But the coaches all seem to think we began playing our best basketball in the period of time, coincidentally, AFTER Teddy left the team. Is that true? If so, is it really a coincidence?

 

I think so, yes.  At least a little bit.  Covid really screwed a lot of stuff up for us last year.  Coupled with Derrick's suspension we were the team probably most hurt by limited/no off season practices of any in the country; and we were also hit as hard as any team in the nation with covid issues during the season.  Teddy's suspension and subsequent dismissal only coincided with the fact that we were just starting to become whole as a team.

 

I'm not saying that losing Teddy was a huge loss for the team, nor am I saying it was addition by subtraction, per se.  I'm just saying that in this case more than most correlation does not equal causation.  It just is what it was.

 

The byproduct of everything that happened was we played an NBA schedule down the home stretch and anyone could see the strides this team made (even with Dalano riding the pine and Teddy hitting the bricks) were remarkable.  The team that finished was in more ways than one not the team we started the season with.  We were forced to focus on only one thing...playing games and surviving, as a team.  Which we did.  The schedule was brutal, and it obviously took its toll, but it also paid some pretty remarkable dividends.  I still marvel at some of the magic that Thor pulled off at the end of the season.

 

This gives me confidence in Hoiberg's ability as a coach, and the prospect of going in to a season with a full offseason to learn the system and get familiar with all the new guys, along with having LEGIT depth on the roster, like 10 deep kind of depth...at least...is pretty exciting.  Will it translate to wins?  Who knows.  But I'm counting on this year's team to be much more worth watching than they have been in quite some time...certainly the most in the Hoiberg era.  Can't wait.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Also, was Teddy a net positive or negative for the team last year? This is something we haven't really touched on, at least that I recall. But the coaches all seem to think we began playing our best basketball in the period of time, coincidentally, AFTER Teddy left the team. Is that true? If so, is it really a coincidence?

 

Below are Trey McGowens numbers with Teddy on the court followed by his numbers without Teddy.  These are numbers vs top 100 teams though they look similar when I run them from vs all competition.

 

image.png

 

Statistically I can make an argument that McGowens played better when Teddy wasn't out there that I suspect someone could back up with game tape. I would assume that with Teddy out there, McGowens had more of a feeling that when he passed the ball it wasn't coming back to him and the assist% difference seems to indicate that.  Seemed like that all came to a head when they couldn't get off a last second shot in part because Trey didn't want to pass Teddy the ball.

 

On the flip side Banton's numbers were better with Teddy on the floor and I'd assume it was because Banton didn't feel pressure to be a scorer or find himself with the ball as much with time running down on the shot clock.

 

I guess to summarize Teddy didn't seem to make most players better scorers as much as he masked poorer scoring players.  It would seem we've replaced most of these poorer shooters with better ones.  For the most part I think this group will share the ball more even accounting for Verge overshooting because Verge can also set up teammates with passes, something that Teddy didn't excel at. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

 

Below are Trey McGowens numbers with Teddy on the court followed by his numbers without Teddy.  These are numbers vs top 100 teams though they look similar when I run them from vs all competition.

 

image.png

 

Statistically I can make an argument that McGowens played better when Teddy wasn't out there that I suspect someone could back up with game tape. I would assume that with Teddy out there, McGowens had more of a feeling that when he passed the ball it wasn't coming back to him and the assist% difference seems to indicate that.  Seemed like that all came to a head when they couldn't get off a last second shot in part because Trey didn't want to pass Teddy the ball.

 

On the flip side Banton's numbers were better with Teddy on the floor and I'd assume it was because Banton didn't feel pressure to be a scorer or find himself with the ball as much with time running down on the shot clock.

 

I guess to summarize Teddy didn't seem to make most players better scorers as much as he masked poorer scoring players.  It would seem we've replaced most of these poorer shooters with better ones.  For the most part I think this group will share the ball more even accounting for Verge overshooting because Verge can also set up teammates with passes, something that Teddy didn't excel at. 

 

 

Great analysis. I will never forget that PSU game where Trey CLEARLY didn't want to pass the ball to Teddy who was CLEARLY begging for it and, as a result, we got a shit shot at the end.

 

I'll be happy if that particular aspect of having Teddy on the team doesn't show up in some way with any other player this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...