2021-2022 expectations

Starting five may be close to the same group but I will argue that a year more maturity and understanding the system will make them better.

We should be be better on the perimeter this year.  I liked Delano, but the dude really struggled on the perimeter.   Good teams and the entire Big Ten could take advantage of a weakness like that. My hope is no such weakness exists this year.  

We still have a bucket load of slashers despite the loss of Delano; and that should be a continued strength of ours.

Our interior game should be greatly enhanced this year.  Yvan simply was a wasteland with the ball in his hands. Sorry...but true.

Defensively we will miss Delano and Yvan.  But Teddy was sort of a steal or bust defender.  So I am guessing that as long as Doc is near, we will be a solid if not a way above average defensive team.

But hey, here is a revelation, other teams have improved as well.

I fully EXPECT us to be in the top half of the Big Ten...if so, fact so, playing in the dance.

29 minutes ago, 49r said:

Talk is cheap, @Norm Peterson  We're still the #81 team in the country (and 13th in the Big Ten)

The boys have a steep hill to climb.

Numbers, at this point (in terms of team ranking), don't mean much to me. We're not the #81 team. We're probably among a group of 100 or so that are "on the bubble" so to speak. Until we prove it on the floor.

But, unlike the last couple of years, I see some reason to believe they might actually be able to field a competitive team.

Two years ago, it was like, no, not gonna happen. Did not have the horses. Grabbed a whole bunch of whoever was available to fill out a roster, and the only question was how bad was it going to be?

Going into last year, I had the same reservations. Turned the roster over again, brought in another group of unprovens, and I remember asking why there was any more reason for optimism going into Year 2 than there had been going into Hoiberg Year 1.

This year, though, we have some dudes. We have some skilled players. We have good backcourt length, some shooters, and some athletes, and you kinda look at our group and think they ought to be able to play some defense and score.

Last year, we had no regular rotation guys who shot the ball better than 38% from three and just as many who were under 30% as were over 35%. Guards. In our regular rotation. Who couldn't hit at least 30% from 3. Three of them. That's terrible. And that won't happen this year.

I don't know about 81. Rankings outside the top 25 or so are pretty arbitrary at this point. The computers don't have much reason to like us right now. But I do.

The prior regime didnt leave him with much he had 1 returning player his first year with a bunch of short term replacements cant really blame him for that since he took the job in April? Then COVID happens. Meanwhile the sport with all the resources cant even get a 5* to visit while it seems like Fred has 1 in Lincoln every other week and has already landed 1. Would it surprise anyone if he gets more in the future? I always said 18 wins I'll stick to that. 18 this year and has some talent coming back next year with more coming in. This program is in a good place. This is all we could have asked for when the hire was made.

16 minutes ago, Vinny said:

His opinion doesn’t matter. Once the season starts and the computer rankings get more accurate then his opinion will mimic the computers and have some worth.

Honestly— I think he’s one of a select group of national media that likes to low ball the Huskers in most sports just to get a reaction.  It far and away happens more with Football though.

33 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Honestly— I think he’s one of a select group of national media that likes to low ball the Huskers in most sports just to get a reaction.  It far and away happens more with Football though.

How do you low ball a team that hasn't made a bowl game in five years?

7 hours ago, Vinny said:

His opinion doesn’t matter. Once the season starts and the computer rankings get more accurate then his opinion will mimic the computers and have some worth.

None of the opinions matter. 

Opinions don’t play basketball games. 

Edited by atskooc