2021-2022 expectations

1 hour ago, OmahaHusker said:

Other than Bryce, who are those shooters? I'd think this is the biggest area of concern. 

The players have said CJ has been the best shooter on the team so far (other than Lakes, since he hasn’t been practicing). They have also commented on Keon and Wilhelm’s shooting ability. Webster was 38% and Trey was 37% from three last year - both very respectable. Lat was 35% and I think we’d all agree that should go up this year. Verge shot 33% last year, but it seems a lot of those attempts were in iso, off the dribble and heavily contested due to the system he played in. Tominaga and Lakes might actually be the best shooters on the roster, although playing time might be hard to come by for them. 

Having said all that, it is fair to be concerned about three point shooting if for no other reason than we are Nebrasketball. 

2 hours ago, millerhusker said:

The players have said CJ has been the best shooter on the team so far (other than Lakes, since he hasn’t been practicing). They have also commented on Keon and Wilhelm’s shooting ability. Webster was 38% and Trey was 37% from three last year - both very respectable. Lat was 35% and I think we’d all agree that should go up this year. Verge shot 33% last year, but it seems a lot of those attempts were in iso, off the dribble and heavily contested due to the system he played in. Tominaga and Lakes might actually be the best shooters on the roster, although playing time might be hard to come by for them. 

Having said all that, it is fair to be concerned about three point shooting if for no other reason than we are Nebrasketball. 

I'm not worried about perimeter shooting this year.

Last year, we had some really bad shooters at shooting spots, meaning players whose roles it would have been to do some outside shooting. Heck, Shamiel was in the teens.

We lose everyone who shot worse than 33% from deep; we return all but one of the players who was better than 33%; and we add a bunch of guys you'd expect would be really good shooters.

If we're not top half of the league in 3-pt%, I'll be surprised.

I agree rebounding could be a problem especially when two of our best rebounders on a bad rebounding team are no longer with us.

I'm sticking with "NIT or bust" with the expectation that we're at least at bubble team. So NCAA wouldn't be a shock, but I can't call it an expectation.

Some sobering facts: We return 52.6% of minutes (according to T-Rank), which is just 8th in BIG. So we're returning fewer than average minutes from a bad team. There's no way to sugar coat a 3-16 conference record. And say what you want about Teddy, he and Delano are big losses. While we're much more talented overall heading into the season, we still are going to need time to put the pieces together. We're just a fairly experienced team.

Bryce is going to be good, but as the No. 26 ranked recruit, he's not seen as transformation talent. Evaluators don't see him as a 2022 lottery pick, for example. So he's a HUGE addition for us, but probably not good enough to carry a marginal team.

We picked up really good transfers in CJ and Keon, I think. But while there were extenuating circumstances to their unimpressive freshman years, it's also hard to project they're going to make a giant leap to stardom this season.

To me, Verge is the key. He was a high-usage, not-so-efficient player on a mediocre team last year. Can he provide enough scoring and leadership to get us over the hump?

2 hours ago, kldm64 said:

I'm might be going out on a limp but I'd be extremely disappointed if we didn't make the NCAA tournament this year. 

I like the optimism, but you might benefit from an exercise - pick a random Power 5 team and take a deep dive into their roster and preview their upcoming season. I think that would temper your expectations. Every team has talent and experience. Dozens of rosters are packed full of 4 star recruits. And almost every team has been far better than Nebraska the past two years. I’m as excited as anyone about this team, but I’d also be pretty thrilled with a .500 or better season. 

The Auburn game will be an awesome litmus test for us. Their starting lineup will be impressive. 

G - Wendell Green. Stud point guard transfer. Was probably co-number 1 on our transfer board for pg along with Tyson Walker. 
G - KD Johnson. Averaged 13.5 ppg last year as a true freshman at Georgia. 
G - Allen Flanigan. 14 ppg, 6 rpg, 3 apg last year. Big bodied guard, efficient all-around player. Projected first round pick in next years NBA draft. 
F - Jabari Smith. 5-star, projected top 5 pick in next years NBA draft. This years Evan Mobley, but is also a three level scorer with NBA range. Absolute future star. 
C - Walker Kessler. 5-star in 2020 class. 7’1”  250 lbs. Was playing alongside two other 5-stars and an all-ACC center in the post last year at UNC. Showed flashes of NBA potential. 

28 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

The Auburn game will be an awesome litmus test for us. Their starting lineup will be impressive. 

G - Wendell Green. Stud point guard transfer. Was probably co-number 1 on our transfer board for pg along with Tyson Walker. 
G - KD Johnson. Averaged 13.5 ppg last year as a true freshman at Georgia. 
G - Allen Flanigan. 14 ppg, 6 rpg, 3 apg last year. Big bodied guard, efficient all-around player. Projected first round pick in next years NBA draft. 
F - Jabari Smith. 5-star, projected top 5 pick in next years NBA draft. This years Evan Mobley, but is also a three level scorer with NBA range. Absolute future star. 
C - Walker Kessler. 5-star in 2020 class. 7’1”  250 lbs. Was playing alongside two other 5-stars and an all-ACC center in the post last year at UNC. Showed flashes of NBA potential. 

via GIPHY

I am really excited for this year.  The chemistry amongst the players seems to be off the charts compared to the previous 2 years. There seems to be a respect and cohesiveness that wasn’t talked about before.  The talent on paper is way beyond our talent the last few years.

1 hour ago, 1HuskerDad said:

I am really excited for this year.  The chemistry amongst the players seems to be off the charts compared to the previous 2 years. There seems to be a respect and cohesiveness that wasn’t talked about before.  The talent on paper is way beyond our talent the last few years.

If the team has truly bought in to WE>Me, I think we will have a chance to make some noise in the B1G this season. I'm cautiously optimistic, but it's hard not to drink the kool-aid, even for this long time Husker hoops fan.

20 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Line changes. That's my expectation.

Not that we will, but that we *could*. If we wanted.

I think we could if Hoiberg wanted to.  It would be a pretty good game between the A & B teams too.  If reports are accurate, there's *lots* of shooting on that B team:

A: 

A. Verge

T. McGowens

B. McGowens

Lat

D. Walker

B: 

Webster

Wilcher 

K. Edwards

Wilhelm 

E. Andre