2021-2022 expectations

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't have a subscription for The Athletic, so didn't read, but here's something today:

They're both links to the same article.  Not sure why Mitch tweeted it out twice.  But if anyone with an Athletic sub wants to summarize here, that would be greatly appreciated.

Below is the heights and weights of the Iowa State roster from Fred's first season vs. the heights and weights of our current roster.  Hopefully some S&C work will correct some of the weight disparity - otherwise NU might get pushed around quite a bit.  And if Walker or Andre are out with an injury - well, perish the thought.

6-9

6-8

6-9

6-10

6-7

7-0

6-8

6-7

6-6

6-9

6-5

6-9

6-5

6-9

6-7

6-5

6-4

6-4

6-2

6-2

6-4

6-7

6-1

6-3

5-11

6-4

6-1

6-2

5-11

6-6

6-0

6-0

6-0

6-0

After Creighton’s last 2 commits for the 2021 class, my prediction that Nebraska will beat Creighton in 2021-2022 has gotten much more difficult:

Consensus 2021 4-star, top 100 guard Trey Alexander commits to Creighton

“Alexander’s addition to the incoming high schoolers Christofilis, Kaluma, Miller, and Nembhard boosts the Jays’ 2021 recruiting class above Kentucky and Florida State and into the Top 5 on 247Sports behind only Michigan, Gonzaga, Tennessee, and Duke.”

https://whiteandbluereview.com/consensus-2021-4-star-top-100-guard-trey-alexander-commits-to-creighton/

I get that this is the off-season so there isn't much else to talk about, but I just don't care enough about creighton to give them the level of attention y'all are.  Sure, I want to crush them.  Their fans are horrible and entitled, they're our rival, and we haven't beat them in a long time.  Come creighton game week, I will be right there with all of you.  But obsessing over their roster moves 5 months before the season starts...that just screams Little Brother Mentality.  

4 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

If the talent we brought into the baseball program in such a short time period is any indication of our influx of basketball talent we just brought in this season, this could be a lot of fun to watch!

Was the talent level really improved that quickly by Bolt?  Seems like most of the key contributors this year were upperclassmen. I figured it was more of a player development thing than an overhaul of talent, but I don't follow the baseball team nearly as closely as a lot of others on this board.

13 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Was the talent level really improved that quickly by Bolt?  Seems like most of the key contributors this year were upperclassmen. I figured it was more of a player development thing than an overhaul of talent, but I don't follow the baseball team nearly as closely as a lot of others on this board.

Player development by Bolt and his staff has been really impressive. But, in a couple years I think we will realize the talent upgrade as well. This year, Anderson and Matthews had much better freshman seasons than Acker, Hallmark and Roskam did. Steil also showed flashes of being a future stud and people forget Banjoff was a freshman All-American last year. 

In our 2021 recruiting class, we have three players who will probably be drafted higher than Schwellenbach was out of high school. 

Combine all this young talent with the staff’s apparent ability to rapidly develop players and the future looks very bright for Husker baseball. 

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

I'd say its a mix of talent and development. Several of the upperclassmen took big jumps offensively. Then you bring in guys like Everett & Matthews (& Anderson, which required a bit of good fortune). The previous staff was always pretty good at bringing in offensive talent, but Bolt & Co definitely maxed out the holdovers for the most part.

The two areas where Bolt & Co have upped things are in terms of pitching talent & emphasizing local kids. The pitching staff needed it badly, so quite a few of the major contributors this year are new players. Most of the everyday players were holdovers.

For recruiting, Bolt & Co are starting in Nebraska and filling in holes outward with solid players, which is the opposite of what went on previously. These first couple of years, Bolt & Co have done a great job of convincing Nebraska kids at Juco to come back to Lincoln. Going forward, and as they get to know the local talent better, I'd imagine they'll sign more Nebraska kids straight out of high school. But they'll always use the Juco route to fill in holes.

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

Have you noticed that a number of our players are now home grown?  Talent at Nebraska will continue to improve as talent in the select programs and high schools improved exponentially over the past 23 years.  

With the limited scholarships I thinks it's really important to recruit the top kids in your state. Especially Lincoln kids that you could give a little less scholarship money to as it can be a little more economic going to school in your hometown.