2021-2022 expectations

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

So, if things stay the way they are, right now, from what you're hinting, we're looking at:

6-4 CG Trey McGowens (Jr.)

6-5 CG C.J. Wilcher (R-Fr.)

6-6 CG Bryce McGowens (Fr.)

6-9 S4 Lat Mayen (Jr.)

6-11 PF Eduardo Andre (R-Fr.)

6-1 CG Keisei Tominaga (So.)

6-9 CG Dalano Banton (So.)

6-9 S4 Wilhelm Breidenbach (Fr.)

6-8 PF Derrick Walker (Jr.)

And if we land the 6-7 SF we're looking at, he'd get slotted in there somewhere? Is that about the size of what you're thinking?

I said Walker was not a lock, but Andre is not a lock either. I do think Andre could be the starter if his development continues at the current rate. Bryce and Trey are locks unless something unforeseen happens. 

If Edwards comes, he will play. I would not be surprised to see another 6’8/6’9 3/4 come in. I see Kobe coming in off the bench. 

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

Can we all at least agree that this next season counts? No more "Year 0", "Year 0.5" stuff anymore (which I have used myself). These are his guys. He's found much more stability than years prior. Time to reap the rewards should they come, and own up to the losses should those stack up as well.

i would expect everyone feels that way at this point.  We have a core of returning players and what appears to be a strong recruiting class coming in.  It would be very disappointing to not take a sizable step forward, especially with what appears to be a much less settled Big Ten next year. 

2 hours ago, Bill Self's Toupee said:

Call me Ishmeal, but I expect 5 of the 6 returning players to start the non-conference slate (Banton either steps up a bit and is a starter, or he doesn't improve much and comes off the bench).  If any of the new players really get going early on in practice, they could grab a starting spot.  Bryce seems to have enough talent to get on the court a lot.

Once conference play gets going, I really do think the returning players have a leg up on the new guys.  Even if the B1G is down next season, it is still going to be one of the toughest conferences, and that takes some getting used to.

You don't not start the first 5-star recruit in program history if you ever want there to be a second.

1 hour ago, Donkey said:

I said Walker was not a lock, but Andre is not a lock either. I do think Andre could be the starter if his development continues at the current rate. Bryce and Trey are locks unless something unforeseen happens. 

If Edwards comes, he will play. I would not be surprised to see another 6’8/6’9 3/4 come in. I see Kobe coming in off the bench. 

Oh, yeah, I forgot Kobe.

4 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Recently, Washut confidently said that Walker would start (at least to begin the year). 

I too can say with  confidence, and with all due respect to Robin, that any statement on next year's starting line up is conjecture.  Goodness, let the kids compete.  Shoot, part of the group has not even made it to campus.

And oh yeah...unless I can touch the wounds, I do not yet believe a couple well discussed players are gonzo.   Just saying.

7 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I too can say with  confidence, and with all due respect to Robin, that any statement on next year's starting line up is conjecture.  Goodness, let the kids compete.  Shoot, part of the group has not even made it to campus.

And oh yeah...unless I can touch the wounds, I do not yet believe a couple well discussed players are gonzo.   Just saying.

Robin generally just passes along information that someone on the staff tells him. Of course, the players will compete for starting spots and playing time and will have to earn it. 

20 minutes ago, busticket said:

I think beating Creighton should be on the list with their whole starting lineup leaving.  Maybe not expect to win but you couldn’t ask for a better situation for us.

Whole starting lineup? OK, well, I guess I heard Zegarowski is going "pro." And the Bishop dude. And I guess the guy with the glasses or whatever. But what about the Ballock kid and the other guy? Them too?

30 minutes ago, busticket said:

I think beating Creighton should be on the list with their whole starting lineup leaving.  Maybe not expect to win but you couldn’t ask for a better situation for us.

So apparently like half of their coaching staff is leaving too. Like some guy going back to being an assistant at Purdue after having been an assistant at Purdue. It gives the appearance of rats leaving a sinking ship, but I'm sure it has nothing to do with that Freudian slip of the tongue about "plantations."

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Whole starting lineup? OK, well, I guess I heard Zegarowski is going "pro." And the Bishop dude. And I guess the guy with the glasses or whatever. But what about the Ballock kid and the other guy? Them too?

Jefferson declared for the NBA draft last week and won’t be returning.  I heard Ballock is not returning for a 5th year but haven’t seen that in print.  Being that Creighton basically played 6 guys in the NCAA’s when they tightened their rotation I would expect next year will be a rebuilding year for the Jays.  

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

So apparently like half of their coaching staff is leaving too. Like some guy going back to being an assistant at Purdue after having been an assistant at Purdue. It gives the appearance of rats leaving a sinking ship, but I'm sure it has nothing to do with that Freudian slip of the tongue about "plantations."

i have heard from people close to Creighton that for two of the guys leaving it was a significant factor.  

14 hours ago, busticket said:

I agree It absolutely should be a game we can and should win if we are heading in the right direction. CU is in a whole rebuild situation.

At this point it seems like our primary ball handlers will be from the guys we have on the roster.  To me I don't think the problem here is running the offense; to me it's about pushing the ball up the court and not turning the ball over. Will we be able to do that with the guys we have on the roster?

On 4/16/2021 at 9:33 AM, hhcmatt said:

At this point it seems like our primary ball handlers will be from the guys we have on the roster.  To me I don't think the problem here is running the offense; to me it's about pushing the ball up the court and not turning the ball over. Will we be able to do that with the guys we have on the roster?

I have to believe turnovers and perimeter shooting were the two major topics in the postseason meeting with DB.  

I also think that not bringing in a new point guard, thus far, tells us that (1) the coaches have confidence that Trey and DB will continue to improve; and (2) there was nobody available to Nebraska that could operate as effectively as the two aforementioned players.