2021-2022 expectations

Just my opinion, but I think the days of having Banton, Lat and a center on the court at the same time might be over. Our flow was so much better towards the end of last year when he had 3 or 4 smaller guys on the floor constantly moving offensively. 

Reports are that the staff is still holding out hope that Banton becomes the floor general they think he can. So am I, although that doesn't matter. The first 10-ish games of the season, he was one of my favorite Husker players to watch in quite some time. When he's on the court at point, I'd hope to see 3 guards/wings out there with him, and we definitely have the ability to do that now, with the additions of Bryce, CJ and TGF (along with Trey and Kobe). 

Edited by millerhusker

6 hours ago, Nebrasketballer said:

I would be shocked if Wilcher didn’t start at the 3 spot next season. He’s a much better shooter than Banton and Nebraska is recruiting his 5-star younger brother, so I think we need CJ to be very happy with his situation at Nebraska next season, so that he is all-in when recruiting his brother.

"Oh, you want more playing time? I'm sorry, but do you have a 5-star younger brother? No? Oh well, blame your mom and dad for your lack of PT, then."

On 4/8/2021 at 11:57 AM, millerhusker said:

Just my opinion, but I think the days of having Banton, Lat and a center on the court at the same time might be over. Our flow was so much better towards the end of last year when he had 3 or 4 smaller guys on the floor constantly moving offensively. 

Reports are that the staff is still holding out hope that Banton becomes the floor general they think he can. So am I, although that doesn't matter. The first 10-ish games of the season, he was one of my favorite Husker players to watch in quite some time. When he's on the court at point, I'd hope to see 3 guards/wings out there with him, and we definitely have the ability to do that now, with the additions of Bryce, CJ and TGF (along with Trey and Kobe). 

I would be very surprised if Banton starts.  The original expectation was Banton would go pro in this upcoming draft, but shooting and other issues surfaced.  The staff really wants Banton to excel but feels he is better off the bench.  If Banton can calm down during the game, the offense will be a lot better especially the second unit.  I could see Banton as a point-forward 3-4 coming off the bench to run the offense when Bryce or Trey come off the court (which would allow Hoiberg to play some of the 3pt shooters on the bench).    

I am very interested to see who will fill the last scholarship spot.  Assuming Trey, Bryce, and CJ are likely going to be starters with Kobe, Banton, Tominaga, and Lakes on the second unit, I wonder what Hoiberg has in mind for the last spot.  Whoever is taken will be someone who is expected to play.

I'm a little surprised at how CJ is getting penciled into a starting spot. He left Xavier because of playing time, so not sure how he pushes past Banton and Kobe. A guy who got 10 minutes a game at Xavier is better than guys who got 20+ here and know the system? I know he's younger and can improve, but it just seems strange to assume he's starting. And no, I don't think Fred would start him just to lure his brother.

4 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I'm a little surprised at how CJ is getting penciled into a starting spot. He left Xavier because of playing time, so not sure how he pushes past Banton and Kobe. A guy who got 10 minutes a game at Xavier is better than guys who got 20+ here and know the system? I know he's younger and can improve, but it just seems strange to assume he's starting. And no, I don't think Fred would start him just to lure his brother.

Willcher brings something to the table that neither Banton nor Webster bring: the ability to hit high 30s from beyond the arc.

31 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Willcher brings something to the table that neither Banton nor Webster bring: the ability to hit high 30s from beyond the arc.

Webster did end up shooting 37% for us and 38% in conference from 3. Wilcher is 6'5" compared to Webster at 6'0" though.

5 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Banton, due to his propensity to commit careless turnovers and his inability to be reliable from 3PT, took himself out of the starting lineup before Wilcher even joined the roster. And Banton’s turnovers helped to keep this offense from getting into rhythm a lot of times, which improved when Banton came off of the bench playing more wing, rather than PG. I like Banton, but I just don’t think his skill set is suited for the PG spot in the Big Ten.

In my opinion, Banton will be much more valuable to this team coming off of the bench playing the 3 and I’m also really intrigued by the idea of Banton playing the 4 at times, which would allow Nebraska to play essentially 4 ball-handlers on the court at the same time, without having to go the typical “small ball” route, because he’s 6’9”.

And if you want to get really high octane, I think it would be pretty exciting to at times see an entire guard-like/skilled lineup that doesn’t have to sacrifice much/any length:

1- Trey (6’4”)

2- Bryce (6’6”)

3- Wilcher (6’5”)

4- Breidenbach or Mayen (6’9”)

5- Banton (6’9”)

But back to the Wilcher point, to me, Wilcher looks like a better player than Banton, especially in an offense like Hoiberg’s that values shooting, and specifically shooting from 3PT, which is why I fully expect to see Wilcher start next season.

Edited by Nebrasketballer

12 hours ago, Nebrasketballer said:

Banton, due to his propensity to commit careless turnovers and his inability to be reliable from 3PT, took himself out of the starting lineup before Wilcher even joined the roster. And Banton’s turnovers helped to keep this offense from getting into rhythm a lot of times, which improved when Banton came off of the bench playing more wing, rather than PG. I like Banton, but I just don’t think his skill set is suited for the PG spot in the Big Ten.

In my opinion, Banton will be much more valuable to this team coming off of the bench playing the 3 and I’m also really intrigued by the idea of Banton playing the 4 at times, which would allow Nebraska to play essentially 4 ball-handlers on the court at the same time, without having to go the typical “small ball” route, because he’s 6’9”.

And if you want to get really high octane, I think it would be pretty exciting to at times see an entire guard-like/skilled lineup that doesn’t have to sacrifice much/any length:

1- Trey (6’4”)

2- Bryce (6’6”)

3- Wilcher (6’5”)

4- Breidenbach or Mayen (6’9”)

5- Banton (6’9”)

But back to the Wilcher point, to me, Wilcher looks like a better player than Banton, especially in an offense like Hoiberg’s that values shooting, and specifically shooting from 3PT, which is why I fully expect to see Wilcher start next season.

If Dalano gained 15-20lbs in the offseason, I'd be intrigued to try this lineup is well.  He was pretty effective out of the post for us this season and has surprisingly good defense in the post.  

I am having a hard time pegging next year’s starters.  To me I see Walker as a lock at the 5, and some combination of the younger McGowens, Wilcher and Tominaga and the 2&3.  If Lat can shoot like many of us hope I could see him getting the start at the 4.  If Banton looks like pre-covid Banton, I could then see him starting at PG.  If Lat doesn’t find his groove, I could see Banton at the 4 as a point forward and Trey at the PG slot, which I am not crazy about.  Trey could/should be our defensive stopper.  I like him better as a sixth man bringing his crazy energy and athleticism off the bench to provide a spark.  I don’t see Kobe as a starter; he is an undersized combo guard in my mind but can definitely help with his shooting.  I think we will be much more talented but I am a little concerned about who facilitates the offense, especially in the high pressure situations.

1 hour ago, busticket said:

I am having a hard time pegging next year’s starters.  To me I see Walker as a lock at the 5, and some combination of the younger McGowens, Wilcher and Tominaga and the 2&3.  If Lat can shoot like many of us hope I could see him getting the start at the 4.  If Banton looks like pre-covid Banton, I could then see him starting at PG.  If Lat doesn’t find his groove, I could see Banton at the 4 as a point forward and Trey at the PG slot, which I am not crazy about.  Trey could/should be our defensive stopper.  I like him better as a sixth man bringing his crazy energy and athleticism off the bench to provide a spark.  I don’t see Kobe as a starter; he is an undersized combo guard in my mind but can definitely help with his shooting.  I think we will be much more talented but I am a little concerned about who facilitates the offense, especially in the high pressure situations.

The more I think about it, the more I think Trey as the full time PG was probably a part of the lure of Bryce, which is fine by me.  Fred seemed pretty comfortable about Trey as PG moving forward.  Whether that means Dalano is the backup PG or starting at another spot will be interesting.  How hard he works during the offseason will determine his status, imo.  On talent/playmaking alone, I would start him over Lat in a second, especially with other playmakers/shooters on the court, but if he can't reliably hit a wide open three, he can hurt us because his man can sag off and help.  

13 hours ago, busticket said:

From what I have been told, Walker is not a lock at the 5 as the staff loves what Andre can do.  The idea of Banton at the 4 is not unthinkable; however, the staff wants a stretch 4 on the court to open the offense (hence Mayen, Briedenbach, and Kojenets).  Banton does not fit that role with Walker or Andre on the court (unless one of them pulls a Brooke Lopez).   

Bryce and Trey will be the starters.  The plan is to build the team around Bryce and Wilcher is a very good complementary piece to Bryce and Trey.  There is a reason why you keep hearing about combo guards talking to the staff and not a true PG.  Having guys like Bryce, Trey, Wilcher, Banton move the ball around and run the offense depending on match ups makes the offense very dangerous.  Then having a guy like Tominaga come off the bench whenever Bryce, Trey, or Wilcher sit down; wow.  

Mayen should also be very motivated.  NBA scouts have seen him at practice and were very interested.  He has a lot to prove and now has a legitimate back up who could unseat him.  

I am a little worried about the defense if Doc leaves.  I guess there is legitimate interest between Doc and UTEP.  

19 minutes ago, Donkey said:

From what I have been told, Walker is not a lock at the 5 as the staff loves what Andre can do.  The idea of Banton at the 4 is not unthinkable; however, the staff wants a stretch 4 on the court to open the offense (hence Mayen, Briedenbach, and Kojenets).  Banton does not fit that role with Walker or Andre on the court (unless one of them pulls a Brooke Lopez).   

Bryce and Trey will be the starters.  The plan is to build the team around Bryce and Wilcher is a very good complementary piece to Bryce and Trey.  There is a reason why you keep hearing about combo guards talking to the staff and not a true PG.  Having guys like Bryce, Trey, Wilcher, Banton move the ball around and run the offense depending on match ups makes the offense very dangerous.  Then having a guy like Tominaga come off the bench whenever Bryce, Trey, or Wilcher sit down; wow.  

Mayen should also be very motivated.  NBA scouts have seen him at practice and were very interested.  He has a lot to prove and now has a legitimate back up who could unseat him.  

I am a little worried about the defense if Doc leaves.  I guess there is legitimate interest between Doc and UTEP.  

So, what do we need to finish out the roster?

Also, the statement "Banton does not fit that role with Walker or Andre" is true only if Banton doesn't develop a jumper. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that Banton gets his shot grooved in the off-season. He does things Lat does not. So, if he can develop a perimeter jumper, which he could, then he could be that stretch 4. Mayen needs to look over his shoulder at a couple of players.

5 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Also, the statement "Banton does not fit that role with Walker or Andre" is true only if Banton doesn't develop a jumper. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that Banton gets his shot grooved in the off-season. He does things Lat does not. So, if he can develop a perimeter jumper, which he could, then he could be that stretch 4. Mayen needs to look over his shoulder at a couple of players.

Mayen's shooting reputation based on practice reports has also very much surpassed his actual production on the court. 34% isn't bad, but not what you want from your knock-down three point shooter in this offense. He had way too many games of shooting 1-6 from three, or something close to that. This is all while consistently getting open, stand-still looks within the flow of the offense. He also struggles to guard any position defensively. Contrast this to Trey, who is not known as a shooter and many of his threes were off the dribble and/or heavily contested - he shot 37%. I really hope Lat improves his shooting percentage and cleans up the silly mistakes on both ends, but I also think it will be tough to keep other guys (like Breidenbach and Dalano) off the court, if Lat's struggles continue. 

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

There is no particular, specific need for the remaining scholarships. Best guess would be a taller Wilcher who would be a matchup nightmare at the 3 and could play the 4 if necessary. I think that is why Keon Edwards met with the staff recently.  I was told all of the remaining scholarships had to go to guys who could contribute on day 1.  Then, Kojenets committed with the understanding he would redshirt.  Kojenets (Mayen) and Bieta (Walker) could fill specific roles in 2022-2023 with Kojenets having the ability to grow into a (Mayen/Walker) role later on.

Banton is a good kid but has now had 2 years in the program and had one year to sit out and work on his game.  He played under a very good coach in Rick Stansburry at WKU.  If Banton has not developed his perimeter shot by now, when? Anything is possible, but his time is running out.        

6 minutes ago, Donkey said:

Kojenets (Mayen) and Bieta (Walker) could fill specific roles in 2022-2023 with Kojenets having the ability to grow into a (Mayen/Walker) role later on.

Forgive me, I've been on vacation and living under a rock recently.  Who is Bieta?

Edited by aphilso1

20 hours ago, Donkey said:

There is no particular, specific need for the remaining scholarships. Best guess would be a taller Wilcher who would be a matchup nightmare at the 3 and could play the 4 if necessary. I think that is why Keon Edwards met with the staff recently.  I was told all of the remaining scholarships had to go to guys who could contribute on day 1.  Then, Kojenets committed with the understanding he would redshirt.  Kojenets (Mayen) and Bieta (Walker) could fill specific roles in 2022-2023 with Kojenets having the ability to grow into a (Mayen/Walker) role later on.

Banton is a good kid but has now had 2 years in the program and had one year to sit out and work on his game.  He played under a very good coach in Rick Stansburry at WKU.  If Banton has not developed his perimeter shot by now, when? Anything is possible, but his time is running out.        

So, if things stay the way they are, right now, from what you're hinting, we're looking at:

6-4 CG Trey McGowens (Jr.)

6-5 CG C.J. Wilcher (R-Fr.)

6-6 CG Bryce McGowens (Fr.)

6-9 S4 Lat Mayen (Jr.)

6-11 PF Eduardo Andre (R-Fr.)

6-0 CG Kobe Webster

6-1 CG Keisei Tominaga (So.)

6-9 CG Dalano Banton (So.)

6-9 S4 Wilhelm Breidenbach (Fr.)

6-8 PF Derrick Walker (Jr.)

And if we land the 6-7 SF we're looking at, he'd get slotted in there somewhere? Is that about the size of what you're thinking?

Edited by Norm Peterson

9 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

So, if things stay the way they are, right now, from what you're hinting, we're looking at:

6-4 CG Trey McGowens (Jr.)

6-5 CG C.J. Wilcher (R-Fr.)

6-6 CG Bryce McGowens (Fr.)

6-9 S4 Lat Mayen (Jr.)

6-11 PF Eduardo Andre (R-Fr.)

6-1 CG Keisei Tominaga (So.)

6-9 CG Dalano Banton (So.)

6-9 S4 Wilhelm Breidenbach (Fr.)

6-8 PF Derrick Walker (Jr.)

And if we land the 6-7 SF we're looking at, he'd get slotted in there somewhere? Is that about the size of what you're thinking?

Recently, Washut confidently said that Walker would start (at least to begin the year).