2021-2022 expectations

With Minnesota, PSU, and Indiana looking like a mess.  

Northwestern losing Kopp. 

Wisconsin losing all 5 starter plus possibly having some program issues.

Rutgers losing geo baker and Myles Johnson.

Maryland possibly looking for a new coach.

Combined with attrition from other top teams in the league finishing in the top half of the BIG seems within reach doesn’t it?

41 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

With Minnesota, PSU, and Indiana looking like a mess.  

Northwestern losing Kopp. 

Wisconsin losing all 5 starter plus possibly having some program issues.

Rutgers losing geo baker and Myles Johnson.

Maryland possibly looking for a new coach.

Combined with attrition from other top teams in the league finishing in the top half of the BIG seems within reach doesn’t it?

I think 6-10 range should be a realistic goal depending on how we fill out and what those other programs with all the turnover pull together 

NU basketball fans need to stop having a defeatist attitude and low expectations.  I see other schools that don't have our budget, facilities, conference and have better programs.  There is no reason NU cannot and should not be competitive in basketball. With what NU has coming back next year, I will be extremely disappointed if we don't finish in the top half of the conference with a winning conference record.

20 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

NU basketball fans need to stop having a defeatist attitude and low expectations.

It may be possible that we have different definitions of "expectations."

Do I hope we can put together a cohesive squad, run through the Big Ten gauntlet with a top 7 finish? Absolutely. And my flight will already be booked after Selection Sunday.

Based on the information we have now, do I expect us to finish 7th? No.

2 hours ago, jimmykc said:

What B-town mentions plus the league's showing this year will automatically lead to the perception by the pundits that next year will be a "down" one for the Big Ten. Therefore, Nebraska will have to finish in the top three just to be invited to the NCAA tourney.

Make that, win the Big Ten Tournament.  If Nebraska goes 16-4 in conference play they are guaranteed nothing but a probable 3 seed in the NIT.

44 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

NU basketball fans need to stop having a defeatist attitude and low expectations.  I see other schools that don't have our budget, facilities, conference and have better programs.  There is no reason NU cannot and should not be competitive in basketball. With what NU has coming back next year, I will be extremely disappointed if we don't finish in the top half of the conference with a winning conference record.

Outcomes shape fan expectation and attitude.  Does attitude or expectation determine outcomes? Like, if I think we're going 18-12 next year instead of 12-18 are we going to win more games?

Previously your post was essentially code for 'we need to fire someone if we don't win'.  Who needs to go if we don't win in the Hoiberg era?

51 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Outcomes shape fan expectation and attitude.  Does attitude or expectation determine outcomes? Like, if I think we're going 18-12 next year instead of 12-18 are we going to win more games?

Previously your post was essentially code for 'we need to fire someone if we don't win'.  Who needs to go if we don't win in the Hoiberg era?

I'm sorry if my previous post was read as we need to fire someone.  I don't think that is the case at all.  Just the opposite as think Fred is putting a very impressive team.  I agree outcomes shape expectation but the football has been bad for 10 years now but the expectations hasn't dropped.  Fans still expect us to win conference championships.  I think it's time we started expected the same thing in basketball.  Just because we haven't done it before, doesn't mean it can't happen or should be expected to happen.

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

It may be possible that we have different definitions of "expectations."

Do I hope we can put together a cohesive squad, run through the Big Ten gauntlet with a top 7 finish? Absolutely. And my flight will already be booked after Selection Sunday.

Based on the information we have now, do I expect us to finish 7th? No.

If we are able to pack the vault I would hope to go something like 11-9 in conference play 

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

I'm sorry if my previous post was read as we need to fire someone.  I don't think that is the case at all.  Just the opposite as think Fred is putting a very impressive team.  I agree outcomes shape expectation but the football has been bad for 10 years now but the expectations hasn't dropped.  Fans still expect us to win conference championships.  I think it's time we started expected the same thing in basketball.  Just because we haven't done it before, doesn't mean it can't happen or should be expected to happen.

Here's one way you can help align expectations onto the program, especially if you're a VIP donor (see: Mark Cuban, dictating the expectations for the Indiana basketball program):

https://huskersathleticfund.com/membership-levels-and-benefits/index.html

Outside of that, my individual expectations for the program have very little bearing on what the department sets as their annual performance goals. I can always expect more from this program every season, but I'm not writing the checks.

Someone will need to step up and be “the guy” in order for this to be a tournament team.  Terran Petteway willed his team to the tournament and we need someone with that type of attitude next year. I think the obvious choice is Trey. I hope he has a monster senior year and shows this stellar recruiting class what it takes to win in the Big Ten so we can keep it rolling into 2022-23.

2 hours ago, kldm64 said:

I don't think you're asking for anyone to be fired. What I'm saying is that I think you're using the sort of rhetoric used to justify firing someone and I'm pointing out that without any sort of threat of action that it's somewhat meaningless. Hoiberg has the only 20 loss seasons in Nebraska history and the vibe here is that things will get better and we're fortunate to have him, which is amazing when you consider that almost any other guy would be on the hot seat.

47 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

I don't think you're asking for anyone to be fired. What I'm saying is that I think you're using the same sort of rhetoric eventually used to justify firing someone and I'm pointing out that without any sort of threat of action that it's somewhat meaningless. Hoiberg has the only two 20 loss seasons in school history and the optimism level is relatively high. I think he's going to do it to so I don't mind this a bit.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

I don't think you're asking for anyone to be fired. What I'm saying is that I think you're using the sort of rhetoric used to justify firing someone and I'm pointing out that without any sort of threat of action that it's somewhat meaningless. Hoiberg has the only 20 loss seasons in Nebraska history and the vibe here is that things will get better and we're fortunate to have him, which is amazing when you consider that almost any other guy would be on the hot seat.

You can say that again!

11 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I don't think you're asking for anyone to be fired. What I'm saying is that I think you're using the same sort of rhetoric eventually used to justify firing someone and I'm pointing out that without any sort of threat of action that it's somewhat meaningless. Hoiberg has the only two 20 loss seasons in school history and the optimism level is relatively high. I think he's going to do it to so I don't mind this a bit.

😉