2021-2022 expectations

5 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Player development by Bolt and his staff has been really impressive. But, in a couple years I think we will realize the talent upgrade as well. This year, Anderson and Matthews had much better freshman seasons than Acker, Hallmark and Roskam did. Steil also showed flashes of being a future stud and people forget Banjoff was a freshman All-American last year. 

In our 2021 recruiting class, we have three players who will probably be drafted higher than Schwellenbach was out of high school. 

Combine all this young talent with the staff’s apparent ability to rapidly develop players and the future looks very bright for Husker baseball. 

So how many years before Bolt leaves us to go coach at his alma mater?

Oh, wait, that's us.  😁

13 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

So how many years before Bolt leaves us to go coach at his alma mater?

Oh, wait, that's us.  😁

Gotta say I lost some respect for our former coach, and gained more respect for Bolt, last night. Van Horn had Kopps (incredible pitcher) throw 185 pitches in 3 games over the weekend. That’s how kids end up needing Tommy John surgery. 

Conversely, Bolt could’ve put Schwellenbach in when Arkansas tied it up 2-2 and that would’ve given us the best chance to win. But he’d already threw 95 pitches during the regional so Bolt wasn’t even gonna consider that. Gritty performance by Kopps, but a bad look for Van Horn IMO. 

4 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Gotta say I lost some respect for our former coach, and gained more respect for Bolt, last night. Van Horn had Kopps (incredible pitcher) throw 185 pitches in 3 games over the weekend. That’s how kids end up needing Tommy John surgery. 

Conversely, Bolt could’ve put Schwellenbach in when Arkansas tied it up 2-2 and that would’ve given us the best chance to win. But he’d already threw 95 pitches during the regional so Bolt wasn’t even gonna consider that. Gritty performance by Kopps, but a bad look for Van Horn IMO. 

Oh I don't know... the situations were a little bit different IMO.

Kopps had thrown a little on Friday and a little on Saturday before having all of Sunday to rest.  On the flip side, Schewlly threw most of his pitches on Sunday and would have had to pitch Monday with no rest.

In addition, Kopps wasn't tiring.  He was making quick work of us in the latter innings.  I was actually a little disappointed with our plate approach in the latter innings.  I wish we would have been a little more selective and made Kopps throw more pitches in the latter innings.

I also guarantee that, if Kopps had any sort of soreness/tightness, DVH would not have put him in there.  He had thrown 95 pitches... but was 3 days removed from 30ish of those pitches and 2 days rested from 60ish of those pitches.

1 hour ago, Red Don said:

Sorry Norm, the link didn't work for me.  Let me try this:

https://twitter.com/lattmayen/status/1402817992061337602?s=20

Thanks, man. I'm not sure why Tweets don't show up but link instead when I post. Something with my computer.

Anyway, I don't know where the video is from or who all is playing in this pick-up game, but Bryce M is dishing passes to Lat and later in the video, he stuffs Trey M on a drive.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to keep us from getting too far ahead of ourselves: :wink:

Bryce McGowens arriving as the headliner of the nation's No. 17 ranked recruiting class. McGowens is the program's highest-rated signee of the 247Sports era and is the No. 3 ranked incoming freshman within the Big Ten. The Cornhuskers are poised to creep toward competitiveness in the 2021-22 season and their incoming talent will be a big reason why.

15 minutes ago, Red Don said:

Just to keep us from getting too far ahead of ourselves: :wink:

Bryce McGowens arriving as the headliner of the nation's No. 17 ranked recruiting class. McGowens is the program's highest-rated signee of the 247Sports era and is the No. 3 ranked incoming freshman within the Big Ten. The Cornhuskers are poised to creep toward competitiveness in the 2021-22 season and their incoming talent will be a big reason why.

Expand  

Heard folks talking on the radio last week that Bryce might be our first ever One-n-Done. If he’s THAT talented with the pieces already in place, who knows what our “ceiling” might be. Also hoping he becomes so enamored with the U, even if he COULD go Pro he’ll stick around to win a B1G Title...

36 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Heard folks talking on the radio last week that Bryce might be our first ever One-n-Done. If he’s THAT talented with the pieces already in place, who knows what our “ceiling” might be. Also hoping he becomes so enamored with the U, even if he COULD go Pro he’ll stick around to win a B1G Title...

I saw it posted somewhere here that both Bryce and Trey are planning on going pro after this year.

No idea how verifiable that is.

15 minutes ago, atskooc said:

I saw it posted somewhere here that both Bryce and Trey are planning on going pro after this year.

Said it on a video series. Bryce puts up the kind of year where he's looking like a first round pick, he's gone.  Beyond that? I have lots of plans that I change as needed. :)

2 hours ago, atskooc said:

At 12:05 Trey says team tourney run then  Bryce will be first team all big 10 and a first round draft pick - adds they will both be in the draft next year. 

Edited by Dean Smith