2023 PG Simeon Wilcher -> UNC->St John

21 hours ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

tl;dr

Yeezy isn't giving Nebraska (or anyone else) anything

Yeezy functions much more like an independent brand than Jordan.  Yeezy has a very minimal marketing budget and it is largely Kanye's choice what it is spent on.  He chose to spend the vast majority of last year's budget on his Sunday Service touring operations.  He outfits those around them in the Yeezy brand and relies on their status as social media influencers for more grassroots promotion.

Also at this point Yeezy is a lifestyle brand, not a sports brand.  They've made one pair of football cleats that were absolutely terrible and have produced one model of basketball-focused sneaker but those have largely been ignored by the sports world and have minimal resell value.  The latter was released during NBA ASW in Chicago but little has come of it since then.  I would expect this to change very soon though given that Kanye has recently purchased the former Stoneridge Prep in Simi Valley, CA and opened-up The Donda Academy, a tuition-free school that is seeking to teach K-12.  They've already signed several 3 and 4-star basketball recruits and they are of course outfitted by Yeezy.

Currently, there is a dearth of Yeezy products on the bodies of student-athletes and coaches at Adidas schools.  Back when he was still at Louisville, Rick Pitino would sometimes wear Yeezy 350s when scouting recruits.  Immediately after signing-on as coach of Nebraska, Scott Frost was seen wearing some Copper Yeezy 350 V2s.  These were clearly purchased by him personally to try to stunt at his press conference and I've never seen him wearing any other Yeezy products.  His Lincoln home was robbed shortly afterwards and his sneaker collection was stolen so that may have contributed to his lower profile lol

Similarly, if you ever see any of our basketball players in the real world you will rarely see them wearing Yeezy.  Most actually wear Jordan sneakers, even at Husker sports events.  The only player I've ever spotted rocking Yeezy was Thor once when I saw him show up to a football game at Memorial wearing some Blue Tint Yeezy 350 V2s.  Everyone that has been at the football games this season have been wearing Jordans or Nikes.  Trey McGowens has a pair of Off-White Nike Dunks he likes to wear, but so far the undisputed sneaker king of the team has been Lat Mayen who showed-up in some Off-White Sail Jordan 4 that resell for $3,000+ in larger sizes.  NIL money, baby!

Awesome sneaker info that I didn't expect to get today.  This is why I subscribe to this board! 

But really though this is good insight.  Just be happy we aren't Under Armour.  No players are rocking the Under Armours off the court.

Edited by JBARGIE

• 1 year later...
16 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Grab him and Mongolian Mike and oooo baby would I be seriously excited heading into next year.

yeah, I'm gonna be cautious with the optimism.  The last time we added a 5* younger brother of a current roster member it didn't go all that well...

4 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Put another way, why would both Mongolian Mike and Brother Wilcher want to come here and compete with each other for point guard minutes?

Or . . . if Hoiberg and Co. have the hypothetical privilege of choosing between those two point guards, which do they choose?

Whichever one says yes first

Now, if I read correctly what Dimes posted on the projected 2024 starting lineup, CJ might not be here Come Monday. (Sorry, one of the few Jimmy Buffet songs I like). If that's the case, why would little brother come to Lincoln?  Or, maybe I'm missing something which often times happens...

It's going to be interesting how Fred handles this. I like Mike a ton, but he needs some time and probably a whole year to get accustomed to the big ten after being on a bad Dayton team. Still an easy take and bank on development though. He's more of a playmaker than wilcher also, so they may rotate Lawrence, wilcher and Mike behind the starters? Or if ulis struggles, you could see someone vaulting into the starting lineup. That would leave Lloyd on the outside looking in, unless Fred can play Mike at the 4, which I can see. 

All of this is good to think about, because I love having options. I do think SF offers more immediate PT for Mike, but it'll come down to if he wants to develop or play right away. 

1 hour ago, OmahaHusker said:

He just left UNC because he didn't want to compete to start

And they brought in quite a few transfer guards and had a reclassifying guard. Between wojicik, Cormac, Trimble returning, and cadeau reclassifying up, there were a lot of guards in the room, without counting RJ Davis, who's going to get the lions share of the minutes. It made sense for him as soon as cadeau reclassified up. 

17 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

And they brought in quite a few transfer guards and had a reclassifying guard. Between wojicik, Cormac, Trimble returning, and cadeau reclassifying up, there were a lot of guards in the room, without counting RJ Davis, who's going to get the lions share of the minutes. It made sense for him as soon as cadeau reclassified up. 

yea, and hubert’s rotations are always little