CJ Wilcher is N

hhcmatt

1 minute ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

He would almost certainly be more effective than Lat especially if he got up to 225 pounds 

I almost wonder if he could play the 5--that's what I'd pitch to him.  Point center.  His post defense isn't bad and he's a good rebounder.  Then you could keep Lat on the court.  Use him like we used Roby.  There isn't a 5 who could stay in front of Dalano at 225.  

2 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I almost wonder if he could play the 5--that's what I'd pitch to him.  Point center.  His post defense isn't bad and he's a good rebounder.  Then you could keep Lat on the court.  Use him like we used Roby.  There isn't a 5 who could stay in front of Dalano at 225.  

I think he would get destroyed defensively as a five in the BIG.  I thought our offense looked very good w Walker as the pivot point at the high post and he’s an above average defender/boxer outer.  Hopefully lat becomes more steady over the offseason because I don’t really see banton gaining the weight needed just think it benefits both party’s in the long run if he did. 

39 minutes ago, LK1 said:

If little bro joins and Bryce doesn't declare early, we could have the best backcourt in the country in two years.  Insanity.

Don't forget the McGowens' cousin, Chase Clemmons. And by that time, Jace Piatkowski should be able to contribute. Nebrasketball = It's all relative.

27 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

Everyone seems really excited. Is it because of his younger brother? Because so far, it would appear that CJ was overrated as a 4-star in high school. What am I missing? Sorry to be pessimistic, here come the downvotes 😀

Actually, I'm excited for CJ.  He's a shooter with size and I think you can chalk up his lack of playing time to the glut of wings on the team.  After a starter went out with an injury he started playing a lot more minutes.  He had scholarship offers to Ivy League schools so he should have it upstairs. 

Here is a scout's take on him out of HS

A big built wing with great hand-eye coordination but lacking in explosive and lateral athleticism. A top level shooter with a quick release. Moves well without the basketball and loves a hop-back jumper off the dribble. Has a post up game. Adequate ball handler and passer for a wing. Below average rebounder and defender.

Can shoot, moves well without the basketball is a must for us.

Below average defender works because we aren't exclusively a man defense. 

Guy seems like a good fit.

11 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

I think he would get destroyed defensively as a five in the BIG.  I thought our offense looked very good w Walker as the pivot point at the high post and he’s an above average defender/boxer outer.  Hopefully lat becomes more steady over the offseason because I don’t really see banton gaining the weight needed just think it benefits both party’s in the long run if he did. 

He would potentially get destroyed defensively, but he might do more damage on the other end than what he gives up. 

Yeah I like Walker no doubt.  I'm just thinking about other lineups, small ball, etc.  It just hasn't been an option until now.  

1 hour ago, HuskerActuary said:

Everyone seems really excited. Is it because of his younger brother? Because so far, it would appear that CJ was overrated as a 4-star in high school. What am I missing? Sorry to be pessimistic, here come the downvotes 😀

Overrated based on his freshman season stats? Or based on your evaluation of his film? If your opinion is based on his stats, calling him overrated at this point is a bit ridiculous. Recruiting rankings aren't meant to predict what a player's numbers will be their freshman year. Are you of the opinion that James Palmer was overrated out of high school? Andrew White? The list goes. on. CJ is a dang good player. Hopefully he fits in with our group. 

I like to see what the fanbases of our incoming transfer's previous schools think about the player. In the past, we've definitely had players transfer here whose fans weren't sad to see them go, to put in nicely. As for Xavier fans, the consensus seems to be they all thought CJ was going to be a big factor in their program the next few years. 

42 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

A big built wing with great hand-eye coordination but lacking in explosive and lateral athleticism. A top level shooter with a quick release. Moves well without the basketball and loves a hop-back jumper off the dribble. Has a post up game. Adequate ball handler and passer for a wing. Below average rebounder and defender.

CJ and I have much more in common than I thought. I'm also a big built wing with a release who is a below average rebounder and defender.

21 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Overrated based on his freshman season stats? Or based on your evaluation of his film? If your opinion is based on his stats, calling him overrated at this point is a bit ridiculous. Recruiting rankings aren't meant to predict what a player's numbers will be their freshman year. Are you of the opinion that James Palmer was overrated out of high school? Andrew White? The list goes. on. CJ is a dang good player. Hopefully he fits in with our group. 

I get the skepticism looking at his PT and stats. However I always think of how little guys like Petteway, JPJ, and Pitchford had stat wise before coming here. I think he is transferring because he thought he was better than a couple upperclassman who were a head of him. Some coaches are like that.

What we do know is he is a high level shooter so hopefully they can coach him up on defense and his rebounding. I am pretty excited but don’t think he is a sure fire starter yet

8 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

I am pretty excited but don’t think he is a sure fire starter yet

Absolutely. Keep in mind how well we played with Kobe in the starting lineup at the end of the year.

Minutes can be pretty evenly distributed from 1 to 3 with Trey, Bryce, Kobe, Dalano and CJ, with Dalano occasionally out there as a 4 as well.

If we add a ready-to-go point guard for a year or two, then CJ very likely will contribute to a strong bench.

27 minutes ago, busticket said:

I think he is a much better fit here, and apparently so does he!  The scout is he is a below average defender right now.  That will kill your playing time with certain coaches.  I do not think that is a deal breaker with Fred if you can score. 

You can be a bad defender(slow feet) as long as your a high effort guy.  Idk anything about wilcher defensively but am hopeful it’s a foot speed issue not effort issue. 

1 hour ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

You can be a bad defender(slow feet) as long as your a high effort guy.  Idk anything about wilcher defensively but am hopeful it’s a foot speed issue not effort issue. 

from the film I have seen it is lateral quickness.  He is going to get beat off the dribble by quick guys.  I think we are getting the types of big guys who can help clean that up.

2 hours ago, busticket said:

I think he is a much better fit here, and apparently so does he!  The scout is he is a below average defender right now.  That will kill your playing time with certain coaches.  I do not think that is a deal breaker with Fred if you can score. 

That’s interesting because I’ve heard he’s strong defensively. 

https://twitter.com/transfertapes/status/1375174506696818692?s=21

I was referring to his 247 scout by Jerry Meyer from his high school profile.  95% defensive efficiency would indicate a pretty elite defender (albeit in a small sample

set of minutes) and is polar opposite of his high school scout.  It will be interesting  to see what the real deal is.  

I really hope he is eligible right away because he looks like a serious scorer.  I read that in his highschool playoffs he drilled three 25+ foot threes in a row to rally his team from 11 down.  Him, Bryce and Keisei could totally change the look of our team.

6 hours ago, huskerbill85 said:

Told you guys to fire up the Hoiberg transfer memes told you he was gonna eat 

To be fair... saying Hoiberg is going to eat up the transfer market is like saying you'll win on Roulette if you play both the red and the black.  Ha!

The guy makes a living on the transfer market.  But he is slowly starting to build our HS recruiting base too.

A little late to the party, but I loved the offer for him out of HS and thought he would fit perfectly. Just got to the party late. 

High level shooter and probably my favorite thing is he isn't afraid to mix it up in the post if needed and has some muscle in him too. If he can do that in the big ten, that creates some different lineup options that can spread the court out completely. 

Extremely good pickup. Defensively, we'll see because it's too small a sample size from Xavier to determine one way or another. 

Identify a ball handler and big next and we'll be set

1 hour ago, GATA said:

I’m happy that Hoiberg got a guy he wanted, but I have such little enthusiasm for commits these days. Transfers are a huge part of the game, but it makes it hard for me to care since it seems like these guys are gone a year or two later anyway. 

Sorry to be Eeyore. 

Nothing to be sorry about.  Heck a few years ago there was a lot of chirping going on about Coach Miles and transfers being a bad thing.  Now transfers on in vogue and is the new normal for most sports and all genders.

It is hard to judge and super hard to align with players.  Heck, we haven't seen most of our players, in person, playing live games.

Moving forward, it will be a rarefied event when a basketball player spends his entire career at one school.  I am not convinced that is a good or bad thing...