Jump to content

Would you play for Coach Hoiberg's Huskers?


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

And I would sign with us every day that ends in Y. I would go look at the Duke and UCLAs of the world but I’m staying home. Kids these days are not die hard red and that is not a knock on them. Once we start winning I think you will see much more local success. To bad it was not in time for the current group

Nebrasketball has never really had many kids who were die hard fans.  When I was growing up, most of my Nebraska friends, were football only fans.  They would be fans of Kansas, Duke, North Carolina etc. basketball and Nebraska football.  For me, if I had any success as a basketball player in high school, I would have been signing on the line the first day Nebraska offered me no matter who the coach was or even if the style played to my strengths.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1. Who the hell else is going to be on my team from year to year? I plan on being here 3-4 years. This is my team, my family, the people I am going to spend the most time with. Is every year going to

We're underselling the NBA aspect I think. I'm pretty sure we're the only team that has an ex-NBA player, Coach and Front Office guy. When pretty much every recruits goal is the NBA - it is a big sell

Hoiberg kept, what, 1 of Miles' players? And he had to scramble to fill a roster with whoever was available in April 2 years ago? And, so, maybe some of those guys didn't work out? And we just got don

Posted Images

phew, this isn't a small topic. honestly, this is a set of questions that applies, in my view, to the sport as a whole right now. If I were putting together a profile on your fictional player, I'm thinking, "not a mercenary personality, likely is confused by the transition of college sports into professional farm squads and revenue generation schemes". 

 

So, I'd love you! But maybe the sport wouldn't. Do any of the top programs run sort of this traditional, "honorable" recruit 'em and stick with 'em brand of team now? Everyone's looking for an edge on the competition, both players and coaches. That's the example they're seeing, and it seems everyone's responded accordingly. Except the fans. 

 

Fans are the only ones really struggling with this, because we're the only faction of the sporting world tied to a fixed geography, when no one else is. What we want is something the sport as a whole no longer offers--a core identification with a specific team, state, or region. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, brfrad said:

Nebrasketball has never really had many kids who were die hard fans.  When I was growing up, most of my Nebraska friends, were football only fans.  They would be fans of Kansas, Duke, North Carolina etc. basketball and Nebraska football.  For me, if I had any success as a basketball player in high school, I would have been signing on the line the first day Nebraska offered me no matter who the coach was or even if the style played to my strengths.  

 

And those who were die hard fans (cough cough... me) were a little plump around the mid-section and were 5 foot 5.

 

I did get backboard once though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If I'm a Nebraska kid and would have the chance to get the home state university to the NCAA tourney and get them their first ever NCAA tourney win I commit as soon as I'm offered. Especially if I'm going to be a major piece of that happening. The statue of me that would built later and never having to buy another drink in the state the rest of my life would be pretty sweet as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, tcp said:

phew, this isn't a small topic. honestly, this is a set of questions that applies, in my view, to the sport as a whole right now. If I were putting together a profile on your fictional player, I'm thinking, "not a mercenary personality, likely is confused by the transition of college sports into professional farm squads and revenue generation schemes". 

What an incredible paragraph. Excellent point. Maybe Coach Hoiberg and Co. have seen the future before everyone else and they're just completely bought into it. Matt Abdelmassih is effectively our roster management GM. Hoiberg just coaches whoever he brings in. 

 

13 hours ago, tcp said:

Do any of the top programs run sort of this traditional, "honorable" recruit 'em and stick with 'em brand of team now?

Creighton does. Return a core group almost every year. Guys mostly stay. Bigs develop. Wisconsin certainly. Iowa. 

I feel there's plenty of teams who do a great job of returning a core group year in, year out. Maybe take some sit-out transfers, or an immediate gap filler, but the core remains the same. Could be wrong though. 

 

13 hours ago, tcp said:

Fans are the only ones really struggling with this

Strong disagree. Most Coaches absolutely hate it. Some thrive in it, but still can't stand it. And honestly I think a lot of players really don't like it as much as you'd think they like the "freedom." That's just a hunch though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

What an incredible paragraph. Excellent point. Maybe Coach Hoiberg and Co. have seen the future before everyone else and they're just completely bought into it. Matt Abdelmassih is effectively our roster management GM. Hoiberg just coaches whoever he brings in.

 

Creighton does. Return a core group almost every year. Guys mostly stay. Bigs develop. Wisconsin certainly. Iowa. 

I feel there's plenty of teams who do a great job of returning a core group year in, year out. Maybe take some sit-out transfers, or an immediate gap filler, but the core remains the same. Could be wrong though. 

Yes, this is a big key for these programs and others. I think that's what they'd like to see happen here eventually and are building towards that. NU is bringing back most of their core next year, however, so hopefully that helps next year and beyond. 

 

For better or worse, Miles, at least publicly, didn't mind the transfer culture. He's said repeatedly, that you only get your college years once. Find where's best for you. Interestingly he's not in favor of the free transfer.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Yes, this is a big key for these programs and others. I think that's what they'd like to see happen here eventually and are building towards that. NU is bringing back most of their core next year, however, so hopefully that helps next year and beyond. 

 

For better or worse, Miles, at least publicly, didn't mind the transfer culture. He's said repeatedly, that you only get your college years once. Find where's best for you. Interestingly he's not in favor of the free transfer.

 

I think a few things need to change:
1. Stop making NBA prospects go to college. Let them go right out of HS/Prep. 
2. One free transfer out of conference, eligible immediately. Sit one year if in conference if you haven't transferred yet (but you lose your free year). 

3. Have to sit a year on next transfer, two years within conference. 
4. Get rid of graduate transfers. When the heck did this start anyways? At minimum, make them completely prove their school does not have the graduate program they are in. 
5. I would flirt with the MLB idea of either never go, but if you do, you're there for 2-3 years. 
6. Stop with the exceptions. They must be serious and completely confirmed. Make this more black and white. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I think a few things need to change:
1. Stop making NBA prospects go to college. Let them go right out of HS/Prep. 
2. One free transfer out of conference, eligible immediately. Sit one year if in conference if you haven't transferred yet (but you lose your free year). 

3. Have to sit a year on next transfer, two years within conference. 
4. Get rid of graduate transfers. When the heck did this start anyways? At minimum, make them completely prove their school does not have the graduate program they are in. 
5. I would flirt with the MLB idea of either never go, but if you do, you're there for 2-3 years. 
6. Stop with the exceptions. They must be serious and completely confirmed. Make this more black and white. 

 

Numbers 5 and 6 should be the first written in rock rules.  Would stop a lot of the troubles that kids often have.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

 

Numbers 5 and 6 should be the first written in rock rules.  Would stop a lot of the troubles that kids often have.

I've kind of become an old, "get off my lawn," type with NCAA sports. Let's absolutely find a better way to make sure they are always fed and full, can travel easily, families are taken care of when they travel to games, etc... But if you want to "make money" off your NIL, or whatever, you just don't go to college. 

Colleges are worried that they will stop making money because the big time players will leave. It's an unfounded worry. There won't be unlimited NBA G-League teams. And no one follows G-League/Minor league sports. PBA will still be full. Memorial Stadium will still be full. No one will passionately follow and track the "Omaha Bugeaters," the NFL farm team where a few top prep prospects ended up instead of playing for the Huskers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The "Revolving Door" nature of this program is concerning right now. We all know why (each season was problematic/unique) in it's own way. But we need to establish an identity you can hang her hat on and then build from there. I know what Fred has in mind, and next season should be more of HIS guys, but 14 -45 speaks for itself...

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

The "Revolving Door" nature of this program is concerning right now. We all know why (each season was problematic/unique) in it's own way. But we need to establish an identity you can hang her hat on and then build from there. I know what Fred has in mind, and next season should be more of HIS guys, but 14 -45 speaks for itself...

He did the same thing at ISU, he just had a lot more success with his first class at ISU, so it showed in year 2 - where he had to reset twice at Nebraska. I'm fairly confident that year 3 Nebraska will resemble year 2 ISU. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, basketballjones said:
20 hours ago, tcp said:

Fans are the only ones really struggling with this

Strong disagree. Most Coaches absolutely hate it. Some thrive in it, but still can't stand it. And honestly I think a lot of players really don't like it as much as you'd think they like the "freedom." That's just a hunch though. 

 

Make no mistake, I'm not suggesting they *like* it, but they're adapted to it. In short, they know what's going on in the larger sense of things. Some fans are, too. But most don't understand why everything has just gotten so mercenary. That was the point being made there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

This could go under it's own heading, but figured here might be a better place.  I saw that coach's son is leaving MSU and entering the portal.  Would/should he play for his father? 

The word is he wants to go some place he will actually get time, so that means Nebraska is out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

The word is he wants to go some place he will actually get time, so that means Nebraska is out.

Which should result in basketballjones editing his original post:

 

"Would you play for Coach Hoiberg's Huskers? Hell, his own kid won't even do it!"

 

 

Edit: I post this one minute after seeing a tweet that one of his other sons will walk on with the Huskers.

Edited by atskooc
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2021 at 10:08 AM, basketballjones said:

Consider me a bit skeptical at the moment. But I have to be honest - at this point - I would turn down a Husker offer. I was born and raised here, and have been going to games since 1986. I actually think I like Nebrasketball more than I like Husker Football. 

But at this point, if I was a top prep prospect, even in state, I think I would tell Coach Hoiberg, "thank you, but no thank you." For my hypothetical - I am an out-of-high school, scholarship-worthy player, not a "leave after first year as an NBA prospect," but I've certainly been recruited because I have the size/skill to play at this level. Let's call me, "Isaiah Bass," from Great Peninsula, Nebraska. 

If I were to say yes, here's the questions/concerns I would need answered/addressed before I committed:
1. Who the hell else is going to be on my team from year to year? I plan on being here 3-4 years. This is my team, my family, the people I am going to spend the most time with. Is every year going to be like Freshman Orientation at the dorm?

2. Are you committed to developing me and letting me learn/grow? Or am I going to be shown the door after year 1-2 because I did not come in completely ready-made?
3. Will I be surrounded by high character guys? Or are you going to be brining a bunch of dudes in who have been shown the door at other places? 
4. Am I going to be recruited-over every single year? I understand the job is to bring in the best players you can and build the best team you can. But I'm not feeling a lot of confidence when I notice you've contacted EVERY SINGLE KID IN THE TRANSFER PORTAL. 

What say you? You in no matter what? Are my questions unfounded? Are they legit? 


1.  That’s every team, and it looks like we’re bringing all of our best players back for year three who weren’t headcases.  That’s a sign of good culture.  
 

2. See #1.

 

3.  I would be surprised if any of the current transfers on our roster were shown the door.  I’m guessing they left based on their own standards not being met at prior institutions.  
 

4.  Absolutely, and if you can’t retain your spot, that’s your problem.  Also, with regard to contacting “every” transfer, that’s actually not true, so you might be a bit of a headcase yourself as a prospect with that sort of dramatic blanketing (major red flag).  We just contact good transfers to complement our Top 25 recruiting classes.  

 

We rescind our offer to you.  We will happily refer you to the Prairie View A&M Panther staff so you don’t have to worry about competing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

This could go under it's own heading, but figured here might be a better place.  I saw that coach's son is leaving MSU and entering the portal.  Would/should he play for his father? 

Nope, that one is going to actually play somewhere, probably lower level. 
We did get one of the twins to walk on. Not sure what the other is doing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LK1 said:


1.  That’s every team, and it looks like we’re bringing all of our best players back for year three who weren’t headcases.  That’s a sign of good culture.  
 

2. See #1.

 

3.  I would be surprised if any of the current transfers on our roster were shown the door.  I’m guessing they left based on their own standards not being met at prior institutions.  
 

4.  Absolutely, and if you can’t retain your spot, that’s your problem.  Also, with regard to contacting “every” transfer, that’s actually not true, so you might be a bit of a headcase yourself as a prospect with that sort of dramatic blanketing (major red flag).  We just contact good transfers to complement our Top 25 recruiting classes.  

 

We rescind our offer to you.  We will happily refer you to the Prairie View A&M Panther staff so you don’t have to worry about competing. 

1. It's literally not every team. If you think I'm exaggerating about contracting every transfer, you're doing the same. Which, I guarantee we have contacted more transfers than any other Power 5 conference team. Every single guy who comes in the portal has "heard from Nebraska." 

4. At what point do you stop? When do you just say, "hey this guy is pretty good and he's our guy, we don't to be out contacting every one else to recruit over them."?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

1. It's literally not every team. If you think I'm exaggerating about contracting every transfer, you're doing the same. Which, I guarantee we have contacted more transfers than any other Power 5 conference team. Every single guy who comes in the portal has "heard from Nebraska." 
 

You think we contacted Teddy Allen?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

1. It's literally not every team. If you think I'm exaggerating about contracting every transfer, you're doing the same. Which, I guarantee we have contacted more transfers than any other Power 5 conference team. Every single guy who comes in the portal has "heard from Nebraska." 

4. At what point do you stop? When do you just say, "hey this guy is pretty good and he's our guy, we don't to be out contacting every one else to recruit over them."?

 

Do you really think we have the personnel at present to finish in the top half of the B1G? Even if we did, you are always looking to improve your roster, otherwise you fall behind. So when does it stop? Never. You never stop recruiting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, basketballjones said:

1. It's literally not every team. If you think I'm exaggerating about contracting every transfer, you're doing the same. Which, I guarantee we have contacted more transfers than any other Power 5 conference team. Every single guy who comes in the portal has "heard from Nebraska." 

4. At what point do you stop? When do you just say, "hey this guy is pretty good and he's our guy, we don't to be out contacting every one else to recruit over them."?

 

1.  I don't believe you.  I'm comfortable with the disagreement.  Every team loses multiple players to the transfer portal.  That's actually true.  

 

4.  You don't stop.  That's what you tell the players on your roster and the players coming in.  If you recruit a 5* guard, a 4* forward, the #1 JUCO C, and a couple of sharp shooting specialists, like Hoiberg did in less than two years here, it's not likely this will be a problem.  But you don't stop.  You raise your talent base and do all you can to keep it high.  

 

I guess I don't understand the mass exodus you are referring to prior to year 3 in Hoiberg's program.  Teddy is talented, but it didn't work here with him.  Who else is leaving for greener pastures that will hurt our roster next year?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...