2021 C Oleg Kojenets - VC

2 hours ago, REDitus said:

So what would the difference be between this guy and Brady Heiman?  

Brady was listed here at 215 and last year was listed at 210 at South Dakota. 

I thought Heiman would fill out but he hasn't and he isn't a combination of skilled/athletic enough to pull it off here without the bulk.  Doesn't seem to possess the skillset we would want at 4.  The right move for us to punt on him.

This guy is listed at 220 and he looks like he's 240+ waiting to happen. To me he seems like a longer but slower Ubel though I'm not sure he has Ubel's range. 

6 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Brady was listed here at 215 and last year was listed at 210 at South Dakota. 

I thought Heiman would fill out but he hasn't and he isn't a combination of skilled/athletic enough to pull it off here without the bulk.  Doesn't seem to possess the skillset we would want at 4.  The right move for us to punt on him.

This guy is listed at 220 and he looks like he's 240+ waiting to happen. To me he seems like a longer but slower Ubel though I'm not sure he has Ubel's range. 

Fair enough.   I will say he does look better in the 2nd video which is more current than the first video which I was looking at.

I was trying to think of a comp for him, since you shot down my first one how about  Dan Heimos?

Depth & development is fine.  I have no problem with 2-3 players that are development players. 

• 2 weeks later...

Great get.  Major upgrade to our front court after losing Yvan.  Depending on his off-season weight gain, this kid might start once Walker graduates.  It’ll be a good battle between him and and Andre.  Andre might have more upside but Oleg has a lot more skill at this stage, and he’s a legit 7 footer doing all that. 

We get a PG and look out!

Edited by LK1

1 hour ago, LK1 said:

Great get.  Major upgrade to our front court after losing Yvan.  Depending on his off-season weight gain, this kid might start once Walker graduates.  It’ll be a good battle between him and and Andre.  Andre might have more upside but Oleg has a lot more skill at this stage, and he’s a legit 7 footer doing all that. 

We get a PG and look out!

And Blaise Keita appears to have both the upside and the skillset. Building frontcourt depth like we haven’t seen at Nebraska in a long time.

• hhcmatt changed the title to 2021 C Oleg Kojenets - VC
  • hhcmatt pinned this topic

Here's our boy in the 2019 Class C-2 Fatherland Athletic Conference Tournament played at the Prague social hall against a team from Hay Springs or Slovenia or someplace like that.

He scores 6 of his team's first 8 points, commits 2 of their first 3 fouls, and snags a pair of rebounds before the Slovenians from Hay Springs are forced to call a TO baby.

He's the tall guy in green. Jersey #15.

Slovenia v Lithuania - Full Game - FIBA U16 European Championship 2019 - YouTube

47 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Sergei 2.0

He appears to be more skilled than Sergei, but only time will tell. His dad appeared to be well put together in the pic of when he was in college. Once his son physically matures in the next year or two, we could have a good one.

Edited by hugh42

8 minutes ago, 49r said:

Wait, Wilhelm is only a 3*???  I thought he was in the ESPN top 60.

Robin writes for Rivals. Right now, Wilhelm is a 3-star on Rivals but he's a top 150 guy and, with the numbers he's putting up at the start of their season, it's not out of the question that he'd get that 4th star back from Rivals.

2 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Rivals has him as a 3 star. 247 composite has him as a 4 star. On 247 team rankings we are 14th in the country and 3rd in the B1G - which is pretty incredible.

Interesting side note. While scrolling 247, I noticed that Bryce is our #1 recruit dating back to 2005, and Wilhelm is our #3 recruit. Not bad when your pair 2 of your top 3 recruits the last 16 years in the same class. 

10 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Interesting side note. While scrolling 247, I noticed that Bryce is our #1 recruit dating back to 2005, and Wilhelm is our #3 recruit. Not bad when your pair 2 of your top 3 recruits the last 16 years in the same class. 

It wasn't long ago that we were really excited about Glynn Watson because he was a top 100 guy.

1 hour ago, hugh42 said:

He appears to be more skilled than Sergei, but only time will tell. His dad appeared to be well put together in the pic of when he was in college. Once his son physically matures in the next year or two, we could have a good one.

Agree.  This kid isn't a stretch at all from my vantage point.  He's almost as good of a prospect at the 5 as Wilhelm is at the 4, imo, and I really like Wilhelm.  Those are two extremely skilled bigs from day 1.  Remember this kid is taller than Andre.