Kate Cain - To Go Pro!

Red Don

Will She; or Won't She Stay - Seems like not even Kate Knows for Sure! :wink: Whether it comes down to 'What Might BE" or "Move-On;" What a Way to Go!

Here is a good article by Abby Barmore of the OWH! (subscribers only, but you may be able to access it if you open in a private browser window). A great read about Kate and her family as well as her time in Lincoln and future.

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/womens-basketball/just-like-kate-cain-influences-shots-on-the-court-nebraska-has-done-the-same-for/article_2c9b94f0-788e-11eb-8594-ffe6180a0eaf.html

Kate Cain had it all planned.......She was committed to play basketball at the University of Delaware,
Then everything changed, After two years looking forward to being a Blue Hen, she didn’t have a team. Cain and her family squeezed in four official visits in 2½ weeks - And the one farthest from her home, is where Cain landed.

Four years later, Cain has seven program records for blocks - She recorded the program’s first triple-double of points, rebounds and blocks — as a freshman. Cain, who had 22 points, 14 rebounds and 11 blocks against Florida Atlantic on Dec. 19, 2017, doesn’t remember much about the game.

Cain’s success should come as no surprise. She is a part of a basketball family.
Her mother, then Alison Martinsky, is still the second-leading shot blocker at Fairfield (Conn.) University. Her father Tim is the all-time leading scorer (1,872) at Manhattan College.

“My parents have done so much for me and my siblings, supportwise and being able to get us to practices and workouts and pushing us to do our best,

What stuck out most to Cain about Nebraska was the coaching staff.
“They were really kind, genuine people which played a really big role because I really was looking for that sort of support within a coach,” Cain said. “Also, I enjoyed the team and the campus. And the facilities obviously are incredible.”

“You don’t really realize (the fan support) until you’re in Lincoln and you get recognized and then after a game you have little kids coming up asking you to sign posters,”

Cain, who earned her Master’s in business administration, is projected to be a second-round WNBA draft pick. She is now ready to move on from Nebraska, her home for the past four years. She will leave a lasting legacy, but will take something much more valuable with her.

Edited by Red Don

(Follow-On Article in Hail Varsity)

https://hailvarsity.com/womens-basketball/husker-center-kate-cain-talks-about-a-potential-return-next-season/

What will Kate Cain decide come season’s end?

The senior center can come back to Nebraska for a fifth season next year thanks to the NCAA, or she can move on to prepare for the WNBA Draft. 

“The coaches have really respected the idea that I really want to just focus on this season as it goes,” Cain said. 

Her preference is to wait until the year is completely finished, then weigh the pros and cons of another year in Lincoln, making the WNBA wait. Coaches have respected that. 

“More so, my decision weighs on personal things and opportunities for myself in the future. I really need to evaluate all of that with my family and the coaches. Trying to push that off as far as I can has really been able to help me kinda stay with it and just focus on each game that is at hand.”

I hope she does what's best for her. I don't see her hanging in the WNBA since it's a really athletic league now, and I don't think anyone of our best players over the last few years have stuck very long in the league. On the other hand, not much point in returning if you're already done with your education. Tough call for Ms. Cain. Wish her the best however she goes!

With all of this crazy stuff allowing a "free" year, it will screw some class over at some point. Whether is be Kate's class or the incoming freshman or the class after them. I do not agree with what the NCAA did. Did high school seniors get extra time on things they missed? No. IMHO not only does Kate have think over her status but also maybe think what is best for the team going forward. We are lucky we only have her with that decision to make. What if we has 4-5 seniors needing to make that choice. Kind of think the VB team with 4 seniors will not have any of them return in the fall. Lexi and Lauren both should have chances to play professionally and Hayley and both Jazz I see ready to move on with their lives. Tough choices to make.

• Red Don changed the title to Kate: Will She; or Won't She Stay
  • Red Don changed the title to Kate: Will She; or Won't She Stay - Going Pro!
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Red Don changed the title to Kate Cain - To Go Pro!