Women’s NCAA Tournament

Cazzie22

4 hours ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

😢😢 Move on dude if you dont like what someone posts. The title says NCAA Tournament (Last I checked Nebraska didnt make it). And some of us watch and follow more than one team and care about womens basketball in general to support them!! GEESH

Iowa is not in anymore either. So go put your yeller shirt on and go commiserate with you yeller friends about how Clark got outplayed by Bueckers

Watching games today off and on while doing other stuff.

UConn beat Baylor...by one basket ....and the whining has started. ESPN is saying Baylor was hosed on their last possession when no foul was called on the Baylor players shot. Maybe she was... maybe not.

Baylor played bully ball the whole game, beat on UConn and a lot of fouls weren't called. It was just one of those games either team could win...somebody losses...somebody wins.

Both teams were impressive. It could have been the Championship game.

Indiana just plays clean efficient basketball. Everyone handles the ball well, no wasted motion, no turnovers. Good passing. Well balanced,

But may not be the clutch scorers needed to go further in tourney. But have another half to go with Arizona and it's close....low scoring game.

Maryland.....

We played them close last game. They can be a bit streaky....have rocky games sometimes. They didn't seem to be ""on" today, and lost . Good year though for sure though.

Edited by redsteve

I would have preferred a Baylor win since I am sick of Geno.  Tonight was probably the championship game unless Stanford can knock off the Huskies.  I will certainly pull for the Cardinal.

Really like Grace Berger as a player for Indiana.  They will be tough again next season. The B1G is getting better in WBB.

1 hour ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

Geno is a lot like Cook got to love to hate them.. But without them in the sport it will be a blow to the sport

The thing about UConn is they beat you with skill and excellence. They don't try to physically beat you to death and try to intimidate you physically. They intimidate because of the how skilled they are at playing the game .. Like Cook a little ? ...yes probably.

Maybe I'm too old school....I personally don't prefer the physically beat you up way to play, and unfortunately the NCAA and the refs are letting it go that way....the most thuggery wins ? Is that where we're going? Seems like it watching these tourneys. Let it happen and don't control the game by the refs calling fouls.

I expect we'll see more fights in the women's game if it keeps going the direction it's going.

So now like Coach Williams says we need to play more physical. Yes, keep up or get gored by the bull.

In the Indiana game (during a dead ball for a foul)... an Arizona player came up behind an Indiana girl and not so subtlety snuck up behind in a crowd, shoved her to the floor, out of bounds, to maybe 6 feet behind the basket.  Clearly intentional. It almost cleared the Indianan bench. The refs looked at replays and did nothing.  I expected intentional foul or even ejection.

Speaking of Indiana, all their shots come off ball movement, and from about 15' or less. Layups. High percentage stuff.

I only saw maybe one three attempt.  (May have have shot another but that's what I remember)  Anyway, Their scheme....just get a two every time down the floor. No turnovers. Not fancy, just efficient.

Many good games in both men's and women's tourneys. Fun to watch, but getting that glazed stare of too much streaming or TV watching. Gonzaga is good

OK I'll shut up

Edited by redsteve

8 hours ago, redsteve said:

The thing about UConn is they beat you with skill and excellence. They don't try to physically beat you to death and try to intimidate you physically. They intimidate because of the how skilled they are at playing the game .. Like Cook a little ? ...yes probably.

Maybe I'm too old school....I personally don't prefer the physically beat you up way to play, and unfortunately the NCAA and the refs are letting it go that way....the most thuggery wins ? Is that where we're going? Seems like it watching these tourneys. Let it happen and don't control the game by the refs calling fouls.

I expect we'll see more fights in the women's game if it keeps going the direction it's going.

So now like Coach Williams says we need to play more physical. Yes, keep up or get gored by the bull.

In the Indiana game (during a dead ball for a foul)... an Arizona player came up behind an Indiana girl and not so subtlety snuck up behind in a crowd, shoved her to the floor, out of bounds, to maybe 6 feet behind the basket.  Clearly intentional. It almost cleared the Indianan bench. The refs looked at replays and did nothing.  I expected intentional foul or even ejection.

Speaking of Indiana, all their shots come off ball movement, and from about 15' or less. Layups. High percentage stuff.

I only saw maybe one three attempt.  (May have have shot another but that's what I remember)  Anyway, Their scheme....just get a two every time down the floor. No turnovers. Not fancy, just efficient.

Many good games in both men's and women's tourneys. Fun to watch, but getting that glazed stare of too much streaming or TV watching. Gonzaga is good

OK I'll shut up

I don’t think Baylor has won their championships without skill.  And UCONN plays physical BB.

1 hour ago, Cazzie22 said:

I don’t think Baylor has won their championships without skill.  And UCONN plays physical BB.

Geeez, you guys can be so literal sometimes.

Was talking about yesterdays game... not forever history.  And where the game is going today. 

Hey it was a close fought important  game...stuff happens. Nobody gets there with no skills. Obviously. 

Didn't say Baylor had no skill at all, but it's undeniably apparent by watching the game Baylor takes it to the other team physically. They were charged with fouls multiple times for charging for example.  And many fouls we not called when they hammered people when rebounding. And a lot were too...and they all add up. 

And sure UConn can be physical, but the difference in philosophy was apparent yesterday too.

Minn. plays more physical than we do.  It's how different teams approach he game. Coach Amy says they will revisit the physical side of the game.

Congratulations to Arizona for their convincing victory over UConn.  The ESPN hype machine was beaten and the best player on the floor was Aari McDonald of the Wildcats. Arizona simply played terrific defense and wasn’t intimidated by the UConn mystique. Should be a great game with Stanford. 

Edited by Cazzie22
Spelling

• 4 months later...

re: men's and women's ncaa tournaments

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31952609/women-college-basketball-coaches-hopeful-kaplan-gender-equity-review-instigates-change

"Ultimately, the Kaplan report seemed very positive about women's basketball's continued growth potential, in very concrete ways. The report also suggested that it's well past time for various entities inside and outside the NCAA to be working together and communicating constantly. And that this shouldn't be another well-meaning but toothless fact-finding mission that just ends up gathering dusk on a shelf."

"I believe our game is in a great place and we have a great opportunity to take advantage of this now," Schaefer said. "What can't happen is that nothing gets changed. This is it. This is the time."

Edited by whoopdeedoo