Women’s NCAA Tournament

Cazzie22

41 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

The B1G has shown very well in the Tournament.  I like Maryland’s chances.  

A side note, I thought Iowa State was hosed by some non calls on A&M late in the game.

I totalIy agree.  It was partly Iowa State's  fault when they inbounded in the front court with a 2 pt lead and 15 seconds left to freshman #21 Donarski and she got tied up with possession arrow to A&M.  She had time to pass off to an open Ashley Joens who is a great free throw shooter and probably would have won the game for Iowa State.  The two hacks under the basket by A&M with 1 second left put the game to OT.  Shouldn't have happened.  It was the second game in a row that the Ref's let A&M off the hook.  They should have lost to #14 seed Troy in the previous game except for 3 pathetic calls against Troy in the last minute.  The two female announcers were flabbergasted by all 3 calls.  In the history of WBB NCAA tourneys no #14 seed has ever beaten a #2 seed.  106games.  Iowa State will have a great team next year.

That HUD is part of the problem with WBB. It happens in the B1G with Maryland. They get calls for them because of their post seasons. Too many times the top teams get a pass or 2 on calls because in their (ref) minds no 2 should lose to a 14. Or in our case no 1 should lose to an 8 in the B1G. Yes in normal years we get a nice fat check for being a member of the B1G but their comes a time when we the fans, and those reporting/calling games need to start holding their feet to the fire. 

Edited by All About the Corn

3 hours ago, All About the Corn said:

That HUD is part of the problem with WBB. It happens in the B1G with Maryland. They get calls for them because of their post seasons. Too many times the top teams get a pass or 2 on calls because in their (ref) minds no 2 should lose to a 14. Or in our case no 1 should lose to an 8 in the B1G. Yes in normal years we get a nice fat check for being a member of the B1G but their comes a time when we the fans, and those reporting/calling games need to start holding their feet to the fire. 

IMO, it happens at all levels, women's and men's.  Living in North Carolina, I always joke that the Three Stooges have an anxiety attack and go into shock worthy of hospitalization when Duke & North Carolina square off because they're so used to screwing the opponent of each of those teams in any other game.  They simply don't know what to do.  Obviously, blue bloods almost always are the beneficiaries of officiating bias, but the same can be said for other good teams when they play the dregs of their conference.

Saturday, March 27 — Sweet 16 

1 p.m., ABCNo. 1 UConn vs. No. 5 Iowa

3 p.m., ABCNo. 2 Baylor vs. No. 6 Michigan

6 p.m., ESPN2No. 1 NC State vs. No. 4 Indiana

8 p.m., ESPN2No. 2 Texas A&M vs. No. 3 Arizona

Sunday, March 28 — SWEET 16

1 p.m., ABCNo. 1 South Carolina vs. No. 5 Georgia Tech

3 p.m., ABCNo. 1 Stanford vs. No. 5 Missouri State

7 p.m., ESPNNo. 2 Louisville vs. No. 6 Oregon

9 p.m., ESPNNo. 2 Maryland vs. No. 6 Texas

the two upsets i could see might be (1) #2 Maryland vs #6 Texas.....however, that would only be if Maryland's offense falters. i do expect Maryland to move on. the other one being #6 Oregon vs #2 Louisville. Oregon is playing pretty well. Michigan and/or Indiana might be able to keep it close, but think tourney ends for each of them today. Iowa doesn't have the defense to hold UConn. 

Texas A&M is fortunate to be playing. imo, brutal reffing. that's all.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

Thanks Whoop (even tho we're not in it - next year :wink:).   Iowa & Michigan should be particularly interesting.
Happy Watching!!! (and reffing:Timeout:) and don't forget ur heart pills , (or fav beverage). :Popcorn:

(It seems game times are Eastern)

image.gif

image.gif

Edited by Red Don

Nope!   index.php  Indiana won: 73-70.  :Lol:

But Michigan Lost a squeaker at the end to Baylor:  78-75 in OT.  Michigan never led in the game until OT (they seemed to always be behind by about 10 points) & actually went ahead by a couple of points, then Baylor (a fine team, but imho aided somewhat by the refs) went ahead at the final buzzer.  Great game by Naz Hillman, & Leigha Brown to keep Michigan in the game & rally to get to OT!!!    :Bow::Bow::Bow:

Edited by Red Don

17 hours ago, Red Don said:

Nope!   index.php  Indiana won: 73-70.  :Lol:

But Michigan Lost a squeaker at the end to Baylor:  78-75 in OT.  Michigan never led in the game until OT (they seemed to always be behind by about 10 points) & actually went ahead by a couple of points, then Baylor (a fine team, but imho aided somewhat by the refs) went ahead at the final buzzer.  Great game by Naz Hillman, & Leigha Brown to keep Michigan in the game & rally to get to OT!!!    :Bow::Bow::Bow:

Brown has proven to be a top level player.

no matter what you think of Clark and Iowa...good interview. 

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=163743

lotta respect goes out to her for the following comment:

Q.  I'm guessing over the last couple weeks, especially, there have been a lot of little girls around the country who have watched you, want to be like you, play in the NCAA tournament. What would you say to them in regards to you can pick what school you want to go to, it doesn't have to be UConn, doesn't have to be Tennessee? You talked the other day about the bluebloods. What you want to say to those kids?

CAITLIN CLARK: Yeah, I mean, the reason I came to Iowa is because I wanted to do something special. I think more and more people are starting to kind of go that route. I think that's important, especially this being my home state, this is where I wanted to go. I know I'm in the right place. This season was truly special.

I think for this team, it's only up from here. So I know a lot of little girls dream about going to all those bluebloods, but I think playing for your home state is really something special. Creating something is really special. That's my goal here. I have three years left to do a lot of special things. I think for this team, we're so young, we can put in so much more work, improve in so many areas, it should be fun down the stretch for us, for sure.

I watched the game. Maryland was in complete shock. I never watched any of the games they lost this year. But they straight up didnt know what to do the last 40 secs. It almost put me in shock the way they all acted. I dont even think Frese knew what to do by her facial expressions either. Texas had 2 and one free throws at the end of the game. Both times they missed the free throw and all 4 maryland players just stood there both times not even paying attention. The Texas player almost got her ball back both times. 

Did anyone else watch and think the same thing? 

Owusu lost her cool...Maryland just seemed to really lose focus the last couple minutes, or less.

wonder if that could be due to the lack of being in close situations? no idea how many close games Maryland has played in? 

however, that's where coaching really needs to step in and bring that focus back.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

1 hour ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

I watched with amazement Maryland just melting under the thought that they might lose.  You described it perfectly.  Kind of like the nightmare we had as kids where we are being chased by a monster and our legs turned into molasses.

3 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

no matter what you think of Clark and Iowa...good interview. 

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=163743

lotta respect goes out to her for the following comment:

Q.  I'm guessing over the last couple weeks, especially, there have been a lot of little girls around the country who have watched you, want to be like you, play in the NCAA tournament. What would you say to them in regards to you can pick what school you want to go to, it doesn't have to be UConn, doesn't have to be Tennessee? You talked the other day about the bluebloods. What you want to say to those kids?

CAITLIN CLARK: Yeah, I mean, the reason I came to Iowa is because I wanted to do something special. I think more and more people are starting to kind of go that route. I think that's important, especially this being my home state, this is where I wanted to go. I know I'm in the right place. This season was truly special.

I think for this team, it's only up from here. So I know a lot of little girls dream about going to all those bluebloods, but I think playing for your home state is really something special. Creating something is really special. That's my goal here. I have three years left to do a lot of special things. I think for this team, we're so young, we can put in so much more work, improve in so many areas, it should be fun down the stretch for us, for sure.

Iowa crap again.  Why do I care. How often to you post about Sam on the Iowa board.

Why do you keep posting Iowa crap over and over.  If we give a darn about Miss Clark we will go to the Iowa board.  How often do you post about Sam on the Iowa board.  

2 hours ago, Fastbreaker said:

Why do you keep posting Iowa crap over and over.  If we give a darn about Miss Clark we will go to the Iowa board.  How often do you post about Sam on the Iowa board.  

😢😢 Move on dude if you dont like what someone posts. The title says NCAA Tournament (Last I checked Nebraska didnt make it). And some of us watch and follow more than one team and care about womens basketball in general to support them!! GEESH

8 hours ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

I watched the game. Maryland was in complete shock. I never watched any of the games they lost this year. But they straight up didnt know what to do the last 40 secs. It almost put me in shock the way they all acted. I dont even think Frese knew what to do by her facial expressions either. Texas had 2 and one free throws at the end of the game. Both times they missed the free throw and all 4 maryland players just stood there both times not even paying attention. The Texas player almost got her ball back both times. 

Maryland seemed lost in playing a half court offense.  Texas was Athletic enough to keep Owusu from penetrating and was able to penetrate against the Terps.  Frese was clearly out coached in this game. Texas had size and quickness to battle Maryland on the boards. 

Cazzie et.al. ,  Yes, I saw EXACTLY the same thing.  When I got up this morning, I was thinking about writing something similar to your OP, but I thought that my impression would be so far out of the mainstream that I would look uninformed and naive.  I mean how can a casual observer question the ability of BF to prepare a team for the tourney?   But now seeing what others have said, I don't feel stupid and alone anymore.  In the closing seconds I remarked to my wife that the MD players seemed shell shocked - almost as if someone had just told them that their university had decided to end the WBB program at midnight.  In addition to what others have said, I thought that the last few 3s they threw up at the basket seemed like Hail Mary's rather the confident, practiced, disciplined approach to shooting that i saw in the first half.  Not at their loss but at their last minute of the game, I was in shock that they were in shock.