Lakes gets free year.

REDitus

18 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Woah, big time. We're at 4 open schollies right now.

My memory is failing me right now. Who had the theory that this was going to happen?

I had the theory that this *could* happen but always caveated that it was a long shot. 

The argument for the free year was that he just played in his fourth season, and thus should be in the same boat as Thor and Kobe. 

The argument against was much stronger in my opinion.  The sole reason why players like Kobe don't count against next year's limit is because coaches didn't have a way of planning for the scholarship crunch of literally no one running out of eligibility at the end of this year.  So to make it so that any senior who wants to return is able to do so, the NCAA made guys with expiring eligibility not count towards next year's limit.  Now look at Lakes' situation in contrast.  He only played his fourth year because the NCAA decided to let all sit-out transfers become immediately eligible midway through the season as part of the COVID rule bending.  And unlike Kobe, who was never on HCFH's radar to be occupying a schollie in '21-'22, Lakes was always expected to occupy a scholarship next season.  So the whole point of making 5th/6th year seniors not count against next year's limit doesn't even apply to players like Lakes. 

This looks like the NCAA is deciding just to press the Easy Button, and not get into whether each individual player actually should count against the scholarship limit.  COVID made so many weird situations across the country, that the NCAA clearly is just giving a free pass and not wasting the time and effort of making individual determinations.  But hey, I'll take it.  This is quite possibly the first time that the NCAA's laziness has actually benefitted Nebrasketball.

Edited by aphilso1

1 minute ago, Handy Johnson said:

I hate to sound like a "Debbie Downer" but when we bring in 4 new scholarship players plus what's already in the Hopper, (plus Thor?) he's going to be buried on the bench.

it will be interesting to see if they fill all four. I’m thinking they save at least one for ‘22

9 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

I hate to sound like a "Debbie Downer" but when we bring in 4 new scholarship players plus what's already in the Hopper, (plus Thor?) he's going to be buried on the bench.

Probably but the last couple of years have certainly shown we can use all the depth we can get.

25 minutes ago, Lohusker said:

it will be interesting to see if they fill all four. I’m thinking they save at least one for ‘22

I'd expect at least 2 get saved unless they are able to convince a guy to sit out a year and redshirt.  That being said with the open room this year and next there will be a lot of spots open to fill.

I'm not sure why we'd intentionally save a couple 'ships for '22.  We are already set to open up four more scholarships next year (Shamiel, Trey, Lat, Walker), plus we are allowed to overrecruit by one in anticipation of transfers.  So we are sitting at five offerable scholarships for '22, even if we fill all four of our current '21 openings.  Seems like plenty.

Edited by aphilso1

39 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I'm not sure why we'd intentionally save a couple 'ships for '22.  We are already set to open up four more scholarships next year (Shamiel, Trey, Lat, Walker), plus we are allowed to overrecruit by one in anticipation of transfers.  So we are sitting at five offerable scholarships for '22, even if we fill all four of our current '21 openings.  Seems like plenty.

I don’t think we can afford to just not fill them that would give us only 5 possible underclassmen on next years team? Other schools get guys to come in and sit for a year why can’t we? They would be basically guaranteed 2022 minutes if they by in

35 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

I don’t think we can afford to just not fill them that would give us only 5 possible underclassmen on next years team? Other schools get guys to come in and sit for a year why can’t we? They would be basically guaranteed 2022 minutes if they by in

What HS players are you getting that are worth it at this point? With the transfer market at crazy as it is now and the one time transfer rule expected to pass you sit on those for better players. We have Webster and Lakes back so it’s not like we are down on players. If you get too many guys they won’t all play and they won’t be happy. Sure places like Duke and Michigan State can get guys that will wait but we don’t have the luxury. Go hard after some 2022 recruits and the transfer portal next year for those spots hopefully after a NCAA trip. 

30 minutes ago, TheKamdyMan said:

What HS players are you getting that are worth it at this point? With the transfer market at crazy as it is now and the one time transfer rule expected to pass you sit on those for better players. We have Webster and Lakes back so it’s not like we are down on players. If you get too many guys they won’t all play and they won’t be happy. Sure places like Duke and Michigan State can get guys that will wait but we don’t have the luxury. Go hard after some 2022 recruits and the transfer portal next year for those spots hopefully after a NCAA trip. 

My understanding is the one time transfer rule is just for this season? I don’t think we will ever build anything consistent if we turn over more than half the roster every season which is what we would do next offseason again if we hold back scholarships 

3 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

My understanding is the one time transfer rule is just for this season? I don’t think we will ever build anything consistent if we turn over more than half the roster every season which is what we would do next offseason again if we hold back scholarships 

It is for this year right now but there's no possible way it doesn't become permanent.  It was going to get there before Covid and now its even more prevalent.  This is what college basketball is anymore.  The average last year was over 3 transfers per school.  Its the nature of the beast these days.  Obviously you'd love to have guys that stick around but if they aren't playing they are leaving to find somewhere they can play.