Lutz moving on

REDitus

Lincoln – Nebraska men’s basketball coach Fred Hoiberg announced Thursday that special assistant Bobby Lutz is leaving the Husker program to pursue coaching opportunities.

For the last two seasons, Lutz has served as the Huskers Special Assistant to the Head Coach, helping with game planning, non-conference scheduling and assisting Hoiberg and the Husker staff in the day-to-day operation.  Lutz has won nearly 400 games as a collegiate head coach and helped his programs reach postseason play 22 times as either a head coach or assistant coach.

Statement from Bobby Lutz

When I agreed to join Fred at Nebraska as Special Assistant, there was positive momentum in the NCAA for allowing an additional person to actively coach during practice and games. That has not happened. While I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in Lincoln and will always be grateful to Fred for allowing me to be a part in building the foundation of this program, I miss coaching and recruiting. Therefore, I am leaving Nebraska to pursue coaching opportunities and look forward to the next challenge. We loved our time in Lincoln and met many special friends whom we will forever cherish. All the best. #GBR

Statement from Fred Hoiberg

Bobby has been a great resource for our staff the past two years and appreciate all of his contributions in helping build the foundation of our program in Lincoln. He has been a great sounding board for me at both Iowa State and Nebraska and has an outstanding basketball mind.  He has a passion for coaching and wanted to get back on the sideline.

11 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

Can someone with more knowledge explain?

The NCAA was in talks to allow a “4th assistant” that would be able to coach and recruit.  That hasn’t happened.  Remember when Lutz was hired, I think the title was “Special Assistant to the Head Coach.”  Unfortunately, there hasn’t been positive momentum on the 4th assistant and so he’s moving on.

• 2 weeks later...

What did Lutz do that Doc will now be doing?

What makes anyone confident that Loenser is a good recruiter? Does the boost in recruiting come from the simple fact that he'll actually be doing some? So zero plus anything is more than what we had before? Or do we have some reason to believe he, in particular, is a good recruiter?

Okay my $.02...

Coming from an older, overweight guy like myself I have noticed that to me Doc didn't look all that well toward the end of the year.  He has put on some weight and is older than one would think.  I also wonder if he is maybe looking to ease out of coaching and maybe get into the administration side of things.  Like maybe seeing if this could turn into an AD roll down the line.  Just my thoughts.

41 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Okay my $.02...

Coming from an older, overweight guy like myself I have noticed that to me Doc didn't look all that well toward the end of the year.  He has put on some weight and is older than one would think.  I also wonder if he is maybe looking to ease out of coaching and maybe get into the administration side of things.  Like maybe seeing if this could turn into an AD roll down the line.  Just my thoughts.

Like maybe slide into Marc Boehm's old job where you have no discernable responsibilities other than to cash your paycheck?  j/k

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

What makes anyone confident that Loenser is a good recruiter? Does the boost in recruiting come from the simple fact that he'll actually be doing some? So zero plus anything is more than what we had before? Or do we have some reason to believe he, in particular, is a good recruiter?

I think Matt A does all the recruiting so having Loenser in theory improves the pitch by being able to sell having a guy who's worked to improve a laundry list of NBA players.

1 hour ago, uneblinstu said:

I think he still is, but with Doc not involved at all, you're basically playing a man short. It's a handicap of sorts, IMO. 

In theory, it can work. So far as I know, Matt A doesn't do any opponent scouts. He's not involved in game-planning. He's not going over film, at least of our current players. I mean why would he?

He's a recruiter. While the other assistants are pouring over game film preparing for Illinois, Matt A can be pouring over game film for Mater Dei high school. While the other coaches are watching film from Pitt vs. Ga Tech in order to prepare for Ga Tech, Matt A can pour over film from Pitt vs. Ga Tech to figure out which Pitt player to go after next in the portal.

The work Matt A can do on recruiting, theoretically at least, would allow other assistants to spend more time on coaching. In theory.

In actuality, it probably does hamstring us to some extent. Matt A can't cover it all. You have to have some pretty well-defined responsibilities so that all the tasks are covered. Does Armon have to do anything on recruiting? If so, what? Do you expect him to deliver any recruits? Is Matt A always the primary recruiter on every prospect?

Anyway, I think it can work in theory. In practice, we need to see some more results.

All good questions. We'll see how it plays out. I know he had a big role in recruiting efforts under Miles, I assume he still does at least some with Hoiberg, too. He's the holdover from the old staff, and those guys don't usually stay that long under the new staff, so I'm a little surprised he's still here. He would have been the one I would have expected to move on, and maybe he still will. It'll be interesting to see how it all comes together next season and beyond.

• 4 months later...