Banana Slugs, Come out and Play-yay

jimmykc

4 hours ago, jimmykc said:

To bring this back to a basketball oriented discussion I will recommend a book on the impact "Rez" ball has upon the Navajo communities in Arizona.                                                                                                  https://journalstar.com/entertainment/books/review-canyon-dreams-deeper-than-sports/article_5539be6b-f967-5cd8-973a-8c5270fb2017.html

This is a great story about the Arlee Warriors, a team from the Flathead Reservation in Montana: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/04/magazine/arlee-warriors-montana-basketball-flathead-indian-reservation.html

If you can't read the New York Times, it's a story about how the residents rallied around the basketball team after a string of teen suicides on the reservation. The team recorded a string of suicide prevention videos. Here's one:

21 hours ago, jayschool said:

It's about getting permission. In FSU's case, the university worked with the Seminole tribe to make sure they had permission and that they had the imagery, history and other representations correct without causing offense.

The best example for Warriors was Arapahoe High School in Denver. AHS worked with the Arapahoe tribe to develop images, logos, mascots and other "traditions" that the tribe eventually approved for use by the school and its athletic teams. 

I’m Scandinavian and am deeply offended with the use of the Viking name and logo. My ancestors were peace loving people, not village ravaging savages, as typically portrayed. I expect to be asked for permission and to be given reparations. 😊

Edited by MandRHusker

On 3/17/2021 at 1:15 PM, basketballjones said:

I'm not sure this board is the place for this... but I do really love all you guys and you seem like super rational, fun people. 

Anyways, I have never known where to stand on this issue. And I am admittedly a bit more "left-leaning," and "progressive." But some of this worry seems like a bit too much? I think "Redskins," the one that started all of this, was highly offensive and that kinda shoulda been an open and shut "case." 

But like, Warriors, Chiefs, Indians, Braves, Seminoles, etc....? I don't know? 

I am also a Social Studies teacher - so I am well versed and well aware of the historical context and monstrosities committed by American settlers and the American Government. I guess I would just ask - where is this coming from? Is it coming from the tribal councils themselves? If so, probably important that we address this and I agree, phase this stuff out. But is it just coming from a bunch of "woke-twitter-types?"

I don't know... interesting, nuanced issue. 

I agree with wrongs done to native tribes.  However, recent historians have placed a more accurate picture of Native Americans.  They were not the “noble savages” of James Fenimore Cooper but many were indeed very brutal and cruel to one another and even stole each other’s lands. Read “Empire of the Summer Moon” about the Comanche.

On 3/17/2021 at 4:54 PM, jimmykc said:

To bring this back to a basketball oriented discussion I will recommend a book on the impact "Rez" ball has upon the Navajo communities in Arizona.                                                                                                  https://journalstar.com/entertainment/books/review-canyon-dreams-deeper-than-sports/article_5539be6b-f967-5cd8-973a-8c5270fb2017.html

But is it? seem to be more about Natives. I don't see where this about Basketball.