March Madness 2021

Honestly I don't care if any BIG 10 team ever wins a tournament game. They fvcked us in 2018 by not pushing for 5 teams in the tournament, and for that I'll never forgive them. They did not stand up for us when we needed them most and so there is no benefit in us standing up for them. 

Lots of schadenfreude over specifically Iowa, Wisconsin, and tOSU losing early.

When we finally get into the tournament without any doubt and we win the whole thing on our first try and they make multiple ESPN specials and a movie about our accomplishment then I'll look to the east throw up double birds.

1 hour ago, demone said:

I am seriously having a physical reaction to that school wearing blue making the Sweet 16. Just makes me nauseated. 

Why do you spend so much energy on them?

It's so much easier not to care. And your life will be so much better.

4 minutes ago, atskooc said:

Why do you spend so much energy on them?

It's so much easier not to care. And your life will be so much better.

In a perfect world, I wouldn’t care. I am unfortunately rather closely connected to a family full of Jayskers. It’s unavoidable for me.

21 minutes ago, demone said:

In a perfect world, I wouldn’t care. I am unfortunately rather closely connected to a family full of Jayskers. It’s unavoidable for me.

I'm sorry for you that you have to spend this much energy on a team you don't cheer for.

I hope things get better for you.

Conference Performance Through Day 4 (Monday):

Rank Conference W L Pct Remaining
1 Summit League Conference 2 0 100% 1
2 Pac-12 Conference 10 1 91% 4
3 Missouri Valley Conference 3 1 75% 1
4 Big East Conference 4 2 67% 2
5 American Athletic Conference 2 1 67% 1
6 West Coast Conference 2 1 67% 1
7 Southeastern Conference 6 4 60% 2
8 Big 12 Conference 7 6 54% 1
9 Conference USA 1 1 50% 0
10 Mid-American Conference 1 1 50% 0
11 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference 1 1 50% 0
12 Southland Conference 1 1 50% 0
13 Southwestern Athletic Conference 1 1 50% 0
14 Big Ten Conference 7 8 47% 1
15 Atlantic Coast Conference 4 5 44% 2
16 America East Conference 0 1 0% 0
17 Atlantic 10 Conference 0 2 0% 0
18 Atlantic Sun Conference 0 1 0% 0
19 Big Sky Conference 0 1 0% 0
20 Big South Conference 0 1 0% 0
21 Big West Conference 0 1 0% 0
22 Colonial Athletic Association 0 1 0% 0
23 Horizon League Conference 0 1 0% 0
24 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference 0 1 0% 0
25 Mountain West Conference 0 2 0% 0
26 Northeast Conference 0 1 0% 0
27 Ohio Valley Conference 0 1 0% 0
28 Patriot League 0 1 0% 0
29 Southern Conference 0 1 0% 0
30 Sun Belt Conference 0 1 0% 0
31 Western Athletic Conference 0 1 0% 0

24 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

The flaw in ranking conferences by how they perform in the NCAA is shown by the Big East.  Creighton and Villanova would have a difficult time finishing in the top four of the B1G.  

At the end of the day, the Big East has two teams among the final 16 and a chance to cut down the nets.

b1g had 9 teams. in 2 rounds, they're down to 1. there isn't a gentle way to spin that performance. higher seeds lost. lower seeds lost. everyone lost. 

and Michigan isn't playing at their peak either, right now, and I don't like them to get past the 16 unless hey pick up their game. 

it's as if they were content to have the conference tourney and call it a season.

9 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

The flaw in ranking conferences by how they perform in the NCAA is shown by the Big East.  Creighton and Villanova would have a difficult time finishing in the top four of the B1G.  

And all match ups are not created equal. Illinois got a top 10 NET/KenPom team in the 2nd round. Creighton got two teams outside the top 50. Not a knock on CU, they took care of business and if you make enough NCAAs, eventually the matchup gods will look kindly upon you. 

14 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

I'm ready to move on to baseball now. Time to let the West Coast enjoy the NCAAs this year. Will this be the lowest rated Sweet Sixteen ever? Or will it attract all of the bored fans with nothing else to do.?

Good question, I think that in the back of my small mind that I just am burned out on basketball.

Maybe because we played so many games in such a short time that I kind of lost interest after we had our last loss.

I don't even care that Creighton is in the Sweet 16.  I guess it is because I really feel like this year doesn't even count.

This was the first year since 1965 that I din't get to see the Huskers play live at least once., so maybe that is why it didn't feel real.

while the season's been a freak show, this is an underdog lovers tournament for sure. 

the 2 big hoops conferences of recent years having a miserable showing and a Pac 10 (heh heh) that had been all but given last rites in the post AZ era shows up to party like it's 1975. 

people still watching this thing, though, as lots of people still staying shut in at home. 

Gonzaga’s reputation as being “soft” not playing in a REAL Conference & being wildly overrated are all well earned in my opinion. But, that ALL goes out the window this week & I’m happy to say I hope they beat their next opponent handily & advance to the Elite Eight...!

TV ratings for all sports have been poor during the pandemic. Super Bowl ratings were a 15-year low, in spite of the Brady vs. Mahomes matchup. 

Silverbacked's explanation ^^^^ sums up the feelings of many sports fans, I think. During these times, once your team is out, you just don't have anything emotionally (sportswise) left in the tank.

PS: That doesn't describe me, I've DVR'd every game and watch at least part of every one. Love me some hoops. I checked out on football in October, though. 

Edited by Chuck Taylor
PS

8 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Gonzaga’s reputation as being “soft” not playing in a REAL Conference & being wildly overrated are all well earned in my opinion. But, that ALL goes out the window this week & I’m happy to say I hope they beat their next opponent handily & advance to the Elite Eight...!

Gonzaga has been to a national final, 2 Elite Eights and 2 Sweet Sixteens in the last 5 tournaments (and at least the SS this year). So they're not wildly overrated.

As for your second sentence, no argument.

10 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

I can't stomach the thought of that team "up the road" knocking off the undefeated, number one seed & then hearing about it ENDLESSLY into perpetuity...

Even though they claim "Sweet Sixteen" accolades in 1962, 1964, 1974 and "Elite Eight" accolades in 1941, those tournament formats resulted in Creighton only winning one game in those tournaments.

This is the first time in program history where they have won two games in the NCAA tournament. Not throwing any shade to them (and it's not like we have much to back that up at all), it just emphasizes the magnitude of that win for them against Ohio last night.

And according to ESPN, they had the worst "Round of 32" record in the nation (0-8). Something that we can relate to, just at the "Round of 64" level.

I have to say that a majority of these games have been compelling to watch. I had 3 TVs set up Friday-Monday.

Wouldn't mind seeing either Gonzaga or Houston win it. The more Michigan wins, the more you have to wonder if a NBA team comes knocking for Howard.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

I have to say that a majority of these games have been compelling to watch. I had 3 TVs set up Friday-Monday.

Wouldn't mind seeing either Gonzaga or Houston win it. The more Michigan wins, the more you have to wonder if a NBA team comes knocking for Howard.

So he can get out before the NCAA finds out what they have done...

I kid, I kid🤥

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

Even though they claim "Sweet Sixteen" accolades in 1962, 1964, 1974 and "Elite Eight" accolades in 1941, those tournament formats resulted in Creighton only winning one game in those tournaments.

This is the first time in program history where they have won two games in the NCAA tournament. Not throwing any shade to them (and it's not like we have much to back that up at all), it just emphasizes the magnitude of that win for them against Ohio last night.

And according to ESPN, they had the worst "Round of 32" record in the nation (0-8). Something that we can relate to, just at the "Round of 64" level.

ALL true, their epic fails (on a different scale) haunt their fan base as well as ours do. I can at least take solace in the fact they only have ONE more measly Sweet Sixteen appearance then we do...!