15 Big South Conference 0 1 0% 0
16 Colonial Athletic Association 0 1 0% 0
17 Horizon League Conference 0 1 0% 0
18 Mountain West Conference 0 2 0% 0
19 Northeast Conference 0 1 0% 0
20 Ohio Valley Conference 0 1 0% 0
21 Patriot League 0 1 0% 0
22 Sun Belt Conference 0 1 0% 0

I still think the BIG is the best conference, but a lot of its reputation was built on the fact that there was limited noncon. We had a lot of experienced teams that did well early in limited noncon, getting good computer rankings. BIG teams then got huge number of Q1 games during conference season and basically had no bad losses in conference. 

It's the exact opposite of what happened the year we finished 4th and ... well, you know.

A closer look:

Illinois had 12 Q1 wins but lost to Baylor and Missouri out of conference.

Michigan, Iowa and Purdue had zero Q1 wins out of conference. And Iowa got smoked by Gonzaga.

Ohio State beat UCLA, that's it.

The point isn't that the BIG is horrible, nothing of the sort. But the ratings were crazy in a Covid year and now that's added to the NCAA, which is always crazy. I'd expect to get at least one BIG team in the FF, and maybe two. But I don't buy the idea that the Big Ten was some sort of juggernaut that towered over everyone.

Btw, good for the mid-majors. The P5 won't play them, so they end up with lousy KenPom and low seeds every year. Teams like Syracuse get in every year just by virtue of a .500 record in the ACC. The system forces the mid-majors to swim upstream, nice to see them get their moment in the sun.

The biggest P5 surprise to me right now is Oregon State. Picked last in the preseason Pac-12 polls, statistically shouldn't even be in the tournament, yet they rolled over Tennessee.

Kind of makes me think of some of Danny Nee's teams. Except this Oregon State squad actually pulled through to get that coveted NCAA tournament win.

4 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Somebody fact check me on this, but it just felt like yesterday the "live and die by the 3" high volume shooters were the ones who prospered yesterday and led to a few upsets. It's not always sustainable, but it worked for a team like Oral Roberts at the right time this first round.

Also, Ohio St, Purdue, SDSU and Tennessee shot the ball TERRIBLY. They were a combined 30/119 from 3 and 31/51 from the line. I think Husker fans will tell you, if you can't hit 3s or FTs, you might as well not even show up.